Chris Pronger

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I was watching Pronger highlights on YouTube and it got me thinking. Who in today’s NHL is most like Pronger or who has the potential to end up like him?

He truly was one of the best all around defenseman to play the game and he also had one hell of a mean streak.

Reactions: flyersfan187

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I was watching Pronger highlights on YouTube and it got me thinking. Who in today’s NHL is most like Pronger or who has the potential to end up like him?

He truly was one of the best all around defenseman to play the game and he also had one hell of a mean streak.

Nobody. Maybe Buff. Pronger played a game within the game, and nobody seems to that anymore sadly

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Pronger was unique. I dont think we will see another Pronger in the league again. He had the refs in his pocket all game, he was dirty, gritty, and controlled the tempo of the game. I havent seen another defenseman do that. To slow the game to their pace.

He was without doubt one of the best the game has seen.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Smartest hockey player I've ever seen play. Very charismatic on and off the ice. Great leader. OF all the hockey players ive ever seen , he probably had more intangibles than anyone.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Shutdown dman with a phenomenal outlet pass who never wasted his efforts and moved with a purpose and excelled on power play?

No one. If you take away imposing physical play and mean streak you end with lidstrom. I know Ryan Suter has similar rep, but I have never seen him take over the game nor his playoff stats even indicate he is capable of doing it.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly nobody. Nobody has the complete package that Pronger had, dude was one of the greatest of all time.

One of the craziest things in all sports is that he took 3 completely different teams to the Stanley Cup Finals in his first year with them.
05-06 Edmonton Oilers
06-07 Anaheim Ducks
09-10 Philadelphia Flyers

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
And his career was ended by Mikhail friggin' Grabovski's carelessness with his stick. I remember watching that game on tv and hearing Pronger's reaction somehow picked up through the mics. I knew then it was bad, but just not how bad. Man I hate thinking about that.

The eye injury didn't end his career. Yes, it added to his issues, but it was PCS, namely a collision with Hanzel that ended it

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Hedman develops a nasty streak later in his career he could be the closest comparable. Thats about it.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Nobody. Maybe Buff. Pronger played a game within the game, and nobody seems to that anymore sadly

Physically maybe, but Buff is "Simple Jack" compared to Pronger out there. There isn't anyone in the game today with his combination of smarts, size, meanness, stamina, and offensive skill. And there were very few who ever had a comparable mix.

He is what is meant by a "generational talent."

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Nobody nowadays is anywhere near Pronger, if I had to give an answer on a way smaller scale I’d say Doughty, but that’s even a reach, Pronger was an absolute monster I was elated when Philly landed him

Reactions: kelmitchell

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Wasn't it the Grabovski stickhit that started the PCS?
From what I remember reading, it was just a combination of the concussions he had sustained over his career. The eye injury make it a lot worse and then a collision with Hanzel was the knock out blow that ended it

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
From what I remember reading, it was just a combination of the concussions he had sustained over his career. The eye injury make it a lot worse and then a collision with Hanzel was the knock out blow that ended it
He said that his peripheral vision has gone to shitter as well.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
There's a same thread on main boards and I learned that Weber is most like him and Hedman plays smarter stay at home game than Pronger.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

Looking at this it seems like he came back too early from the eye injury while still having PCS and then the Hanzal hit was the coup-de-grace. SI Vault feature: The painful end of Chris Pronger's career

On Oct. 24, 2011, Maple Leafs center Mikhail Grabovski caught Pronger’s right eye with his stick while following through on a shot. “I still remember the screams,” says Carle. “Prongs never let you know he was hurting, even when he blocked shots, fought, got slashed. That was the scariest thing I’ve seen.” Pronger suffered damage to the eye. He was bedridden for four days but felt he had to return to the ice. “Unless you’re dying, it’s ingrained in our culture to play,” he says. “Pain doesn’t hurt; it’s just pain.”

He missed six games, then came back for five, insisting he felt fine even though, he says, “I was way off. Dizziness, nausea. I hid it. I didn’t say anything. But in the games you’re leaving yourself exposed to hits, making plays you wouldn’t normally make.” In Pronger’s fourth game back Coyotesforward Martin Hanzal drove him into the boards from behind. “Didn’t look bad,” Pronger recalls, “[but] bells started ringing. I just didn’t answer them.” Two nights later he left the arena in Winnipeg feeling woozy and disoriented. He has not played since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->