Chris Phillip's number 4 to be retired

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I vehemently disagree with you. Retired jerseys are for extremely elite high performing players.

I'm not saying a truly elite defensive defenceman couldn't get there with that numbers of games played, but one with zero Stanley Cups absolutely doesn't cut it. (ie Ken Daneyko in comparison)
:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
My thoughts as well, it's kind of embarrassing that our standards for number retirement are so low. Phillips should be ring of honour, nothing more. Canadiens are running out of numbers because of all their HOFers and we're putting up a banner for a member of the Hall of Kind of Good for Maybe a Little While But Played a Long Time. Rolls off the tongue.
We like to use HKGMLWBPLT. Makes it easier to remember.

Reactions: SPF6ty9

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I vehemently disagree with you. Retired jerseys are for extremely elite high performing players.

I'm not saying a truly elite defensive defenceman couldn't get there with that numbers of games played, but one with zero Stanley Cups absolutely doesn't cut it. (ie Ken Daneyko in comparison)

In that case, with your standards, not even Alfredsson is worthy of having his jersey retired either. He has no cups, and other than a Calder trophy he has no personal awards either, am I correct?

I am going to assume your answer is "yes Alfie's number should be retired", which basically then contradicts your entire premise that only "elite" players should have their number retired.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Alfie is most likely a HOFer that captained this team for 14 years and was one of the top players at his position for a number of years.

Comparing him to Phillips is insane.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Phillips was no Orr #4. Not HOF or retired# calibre. Front office media guys obviously needed something for the jumbotron at the Home Opener...I would have preferred a skit by Sparty.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The Canucks have retired four players' jerseys in their history—Stan Smyl (12), Trevor Linden (16), Markus Naslund (19) and Pavel Bure (10); all but Bure have served as team captain. Smyl has the distinction of being the only Canuck to have his jersey number retired at their former arena, the Pacific Coliseum.

Please note, I had some BIG RIG pumpkin porter prior to posting this retort. :sarcasm:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Honor numbers. Dont retire them. Just dumb.
I'd rather see a number hanging with all the great players to wear it. From the original sens to the modern ones.

Reactions: operasen

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't have a problem with it. Sure, Phillips isn't a HHOF type of player, but who cares. To be brutally honest, I kinda give the snake eyes at anyone inthe league daring to wear 4, 66 (and back in the day 99) anyways. There's plenty of other numbers to choose from.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
In that case, with your standards, not even Alfredsson is worthy of having his jersey retired either. He has no cups, and other than a Calder trophy he has no personal awards either, am I correct?

I am going to assume your answer is "yes Alfie's number should be retired", which basically then contradicts your entire premise that only "elite" players should have their number retired.

No the standard starts with elite high performing players. Which I thought was obviously referring to offence .

If you don’t have offence , you better have cups.

My quick perusal of other retired numbers shows very few deviations from this .

One of the other ones that’s questionable like Phillips is Lehtinen in Dallas, until you see theee Selkes and a Cup.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Honor numbers. Dont retire them. Just dumb.
I'd rather see a number hanging with all the great players to wear it. From the original sens to the modern ones.
Retire the Player. Leave the Jersey. Fine if its a Gretzky, Orr, Richard type player - a game changer. Chris was outstanding here and gave his heart and soul to the team, no question. Put him up for that. Leave the number open for others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->