Chris Phillips Legacy and Historical Comparison

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Stephen, Apr 8, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    Chris Phillips was drafted 1st overall in one of the weakest drafts in history and has gone on to have a pretty long career as a good defenseman, with some good team seasons along the way, most notably in 2007 when the Sens went to the finals. I think he was projected to be more of an all around defenseman with a better offensive game, and has failed to deliver on that. Considering that, he probably isn't quite at the level of what you'd ideally want out of a 1st overall, and played behind Chara and Redden in his prime. In any event, prety much any team would have been happy to have had him over the years. All considered, what kind of players come to mind as historical comparisons and how will he be remembered when he retires?

2. Poignant Discussion*

Poignant Discussion* I tell it like it is

Self Employed
    He was favorably compared to Pronger at the time as I recall. The offense never showed up other than in spurts. Very good playoff guy though, one of the few Senators who showed up in each of the 4 series against Toronto

3. begbeee

begbeee Registered User

He is similar to Adam Foote. Lighter version of Foote.

4. Stansfield*

Stansfield* Guest

Beat me to it. Yeah, Foote minus some team achievements

5. Dave Sparky Allison

Dave Sparky Allison 2-22-1

Definitely not as tough as Foote either.

6. begbeee

begbeee Registered User

He had to be new Pronger and he will finish as new Foote (softer and without achievments).
    Really funny :laugh:

//: Not bad career, anyway. Respect.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. tony d

tony d Registered User Sponsor

Office Worker
    Solid career. Won't get you many points but is still a good shutdown defenseman.

8. cynicism

cynicism Registered User

A less physical, more well rounded Luke Richardson?

9. arrbez

arrbez bad chi

A bigger defense-playing Wayne Gretzky, without the offense.

10. IggyFan12

IggyFan12 Registered User

Robin Regehr comes to mind. I havent seen enough of him however to judge who was better.

11. Volcanologist

Volcanologist Used Register

I don't think there will be any "legacy" for Chris Phillips, other than perhaps the curious historical footnote of being chosen so high in the draft.

A solid but unremarkable player.

12. overpass

overpass Registered User

Phillips has had an interesting career in some ways.

In terms of accomplishments, he was the #1 defenceman at even strength and while shorthanded for the Ottawa Senators when they went to the Cup finals in 2007. That doesn't make him an all-time great or anything, but it's pretty good. THN gave him their Rod Langway Award as best defensive defenceman in their end of season issue. Phillips played in that role for the next 3 years and played well, although the Senators fell of as a team. Before that, he was part of one of the best shutdown pairings in the league with Zdeno Chara.

One of his selling points when he was drafted was his combination of size and mobility, and he still has that. He's actually a very good skater for a defenceman of his size, and uses that very well to stay with forwards and defend. But his puck skills didn't develop as hoped. His passing and shooting are below average, so he's never been an offensive option.

He doesn't look to hit or punish opponents, but he is a very strong player and is excellent at winning the puck along the boards.

Foote, Regehr, and Richardson were given as comparisons. Phillips differs in one important way from them and most other defensive guys - he's actually been the less defensive player in his pairing during his prime. First Chara and then Volchenkov played more conservatively and protected the net, which freed Phillips up to go after the puck in the defensive zone. Which he did very well. And Phillips also had the main responsibility for moving the puck from the back end, which he was also pretty effective at doing. While he's not a great passer, he's strong on the puck and he's a good skater so he can win the puck and skate the puck into position to make breakout passes.

Phillips has struggled this year, and I think one reason is that he's had to be the conservative defensive guy, playing with the likes of Karlsson and Gonchar. It's definitely a change for him.

Not sure who a good comparison is - maybe Dave Burrows, as a big defenceman who skated well but wasn't really physical?

13. MXD

MXD Original #4

Dead
    Many things about him screams Rick Green.

14. Blades of Glory

Blades of Glory Troll Captain

Investment banker
    Foote's physical presence and individual matchup ability was a huge part of those team accomplishments. He was tasked with shutting down top lines despite not having much help until Ray Bourque arrived in 2000 and Rob Blake in 2001. Adam Foote was one of the best shutdown defensemen of his era and there is a reason he played for Canada in the 2002 Olympics and 1996 WCOH. His individual battles with Brendan Shanahan in big games are well-documented. Don't insult him by comparing Chris Phillips to him. Physical play is what made Foote.

15. Hardyvan123

Hardyvan123 [email protected]

I can see that comp but Phillips was the better player. He has been a very solid and good defensive Dman.

Jovo who was drafted 1st 2 years before him has shown more flash in his career but Philips has been the better player IMO fro what it is worth.

16. njdevils1982

njdevils1982 Hell Toupée!!!

thought this first........devils got another in colin white.....a lifer......under the radar somewhat, yet very efficient and unnoticed. if you dont dont notice whitey, he's done his job. (aside: a shame about CW eye....)

not many people notice the drones of the machine sometimes i'll say. i'd say both are very comparable.

17. overpass

overpass Registered User

I like that comp. IMO Phillips was probably a bit better at his best (2006-10), but there are definitely similarities.

A couple of All-time drafts ago I was deciding between Green and Phillips for my final defence spot (went with the homer pick in Phillips), so I probably should have thought of that.

18. Mayor Bee

Mayor Bee Registered User

A poor man's Brad McCrimmon.

19. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

It hurts to say this, but despite the solid attributes Phillips brings to the team he will always make us recite: "Just how bad was the 1996 draft?"

The best player from there is Chara, which is fine, but after that it might be Briere and then several low, low cards. Kaberle was picked 204th overall but after him the best player might be (gulp) Pavel Kubina or Colin White. Terrible, terrible draft.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I felt something was amiss the day Phillips went 1st overall. He never struck me as an impact player in the juniors either. Very low offensive ceiling and a guy who teams might want on their team but would cringe if he was their best d-man.

The Foote comparisons are a nice effort, but Foote was selected ample times on Team Canada for a reason. Somebody said Luke Richardson. I like that one better.

20. revolverjgw

revolverjgw Registered User

I don't recall him ever being expected to be anything but an above-average defensive d-man. He was pretty much as advertised, more or less. The 1996 draft was laughably bad, he just went so high almost by default.