Signing(s): Chris Paul back to Houston on huge max deal (4 years/160 M)

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I love Paul as a person so I’m glad to see him get 40 mil per year but he’s so injury prone it’s hard to imagine winning anything with this monster deal on the books.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I love Paul as a person so I’m glad to see him get 40 mil per year but he’s so injury prone it’s hard to imagine winning anything with this monster deal on the books.

Actually it's very easy to imagine. With him playing they had the invincible Warriors one game from elimination, when the previous two seasons Golden State had lost three playoff games total. If he stays healthy they'll be very good again, but we'll see. Need to replace Ariza too, who was very good defensively but got worse and worse as the WCF went on. Took the coin to go to the sad-sack Suns.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Credz to Morey for not giving the 5th year.

CP3 was getting the max one way or another so while a discount would have been nice, it wasn't happening.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't get the NBA and it's cap because there seems to be like 3 of them. But isn't the cap like 99mil? How can 1 player be worth almost half that themselves, especially Paul?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
They're either near or just over the luxury tax and still need to pay Capela as well. Plus they lost their starting SF. I'm not a fan.

But the goal is to win a ring. If it happens, it was worth it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't get the NBA and it's cap because there seems to be like 3 of them. But isn't the cap like 99mil? How can 1 player be worth almost half that themselves, especially Paul?

Theres a bunch of different exceptions that allow you go over and there is a tax to pay - it goes up ever time you go over the cap. But they can't spend unlimited amounts on salary like MLB teams can. Its the trickiest salary cap structure out of the big 4 leagues.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Rockets aren't winning anything. Paul will certainly get hurt as the playoffs roll around next season (or every season for that matter), they lost Ariza without replacing him, and aren't even guaranteed to retain Capela.

If they run into the Warriors again, they'll lose again.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The Rockets aren't winning anything. Paul will certainly get hurt as the playoffs roll around next season (or every season for that matter), they lost Ariza without replacing him, and aren't even guaranteed to retain Capela.

If they run into the Warriors again, they'll lose again.

Can't beat the Warriors so I suppose they should pack up shop.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That's highly subjective. The stats alone show Harden having a greater impact.

If you had the choice between Harden and Paul which would you give 40 mill too?

Harden. He's 5 years younger.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's highly subjective. The stats alone show Harden having a greater impact.

If you had the choice between Harden and Paul which would you give 40 mill too?

Consider that Harden made the WCF only once before (and lost 4-1) and the year they acquire Paul they almost win the series.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Consider that Harden made the WCF only once before (and lost 4-1) and the year they acquire Paul they almost win the series.
How does that make Paul better than Harden or even worth 40 mill? It's not like Paul became the Durant of Houston. He was a top pg in the league not a top player in the league a la Lebron, Durrant, Davis, Westbrook, Harden.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How does that make Paul better than Harden or even worth 40 mill? It's not like Paul became the Durant of Houston. He was a top pg in the league not a top player in the league a la Lebron, Durrant, Davis, Westbrook, Harden.

Because he's a very good player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->