Chris Osgood

One Horse Town

Nov 29, 2023
With the current play from the goalies, it shows how good he really was. Since 2009 there hasn't been a goalie who made you feel like the team had no worries in the net. None of these 3 show they are consistent players.

Reimer and Lyon both play the statue game when they are screed. Both freeze like saying if it goes in it's not my fault. I will say this both are super when the puck is in close.

Before it starts, yes I know Osgood had his issues but he was very good in an era when Hasek, Roy and Brodeur where the elite of the league.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Ozzie suffers from the fact that he played in what was probably the top era for goalies of all time and he played on a team with all time greats. His early instability sort of stuck with him reputation wise even though his 2nd stint with the Wings was very consistent. The Wings losing the 08/09 cup probably hurt his legacy the most, because I think there was a very good chance he wins that Conn Smyth.

Hasek, Broduer, Roy are widely regarded as the greatest of all time with Tretiak, Dryden, and Sawchuck thrown in for good measure. Then you had guys like Belfour, Cujo, Richter, Beezer as guys I'd probably saw were better than Ozzie. Right now the only guy I'd 100% take over that top 7 is Vasi.

Even the early 2000s and the last half of Ozzies career had better guys than currently. You had JSG, Kipper, Luongo, Lundquist, Turco, Nabakov, MAF. Even Vasi has cooled enough that I can honestly say there is a single guy in the NHL currently that I am afraid is just going to steal a series from us.

If Ozzie played now he would be much better regarded than when he did. Sort of like how the forwards the played through the Mario/Gretz years never got quite the recognition they probably deserved.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
rrdpDpS.jpeg

But for real, Osgood was very good but it was also an easier era for goalies.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Osgood was great too, but he had one thing on those Red Wings teams that we don't have today: Defensive responsibility, including puck possession.

Take 2009 Osgood and put him behind this team, and he too will collapse like a house of cards, and "Lyon sucks" would be "Osgood sucks". Along similar lines, take the 2009 team and put them in front of Lyon, and he's instantly our #1, and it won't even be close.

Last edited:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Ozzie suffers from the fact that he played in what was probably the top era for goalies of all time and he played on a team with all time greats. His early instability sort of stuck with him reputation wise even though his 2nd stint with the Wings was very consistent. The Wings losing the 08/09 cup probably hurt his legacy the most, because I think there was a very good chance he wins that Conn Smyth.

Hasek, Broduer, Roy are widely regarded as the greatest of all time with Tretiak, Dryden, and Sawchuck thrown in for good measure. Then you had guys like Belfour, Cujo, Richter, Beezer as guys I'd probably saw were better than Ozzie. Right now the only guy I'd 100% take over that top 7 is Vasi.

Even the early 2000s and the last half of Ozzies career had better guys than currently. You had JSG, Kipper, Luongo, Lundquist, Turco, Nabakov, MAF. Even Vasi has cooled enough that I can honestly say there is a single guy in the NHL currently that I am afraid is just going to steal a series from us.

If Ozzie played now he would be much better regarded than when he did. Sort of like how the forwards the played through the Mario/Gretz years never got quite the recognition they probably deserved.
Very good chance my ass.

That 09 Smythe was his if they won. He almost had a claim to it even losing in game 7.

f***in Conan O’Brien. They dicked around with the Stanley Cup finals so he could get a prime time debut and they fired him out of a cannon from that time slot by the time the next season started

Reactions: SoupNazi and GMR

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
With the current play from the goalies, it shows how good he really was. Since 2009 there hasn't been a goalie who made you feel like the team had no worries in the net. None of these 3 show they are consistent players.

Reimer and Lyon both play the statue game when they are screed. Both freeze like saying if it goes in it's not my fault. I will say this both are super when the puck is in close.

Before it starts, yes I know Osgood had his issues but he was very good in an era when Hasek, Roy and Brodeur where the elite of the league.
osgood was definitely good and am in no way comparing him to this guy, but Howard was actually a pretty good goalie. He let in some softies but so did ozzy.

Howard definitely kept us in the game when we shouldn't have on many of occasions. Other than him, yes, we have had some extremely bad luck with goalies on our team. Hopefully the three top goalie prospects we have will pan out (gylander, cossa, augustine). I swear...Augustine looks and plays like a Quick clone and I am definitely here for it.

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
quick glance because I forgot why he left us but was he the best player lost in all those waiver drafts?
I scanned the list and a few other names didnt seem that big when the were claimed

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
quick glance because I forgot why he left us but was he the best player lost in all those waiver drafts?
I scanned the list and a few other names didnt seem that big when the were claimed

He was put on waivers because Holland traded for Hasek.

Early in his career Ozzy had a reputation not unlike Fleury for letting in backbreaking goals under pressure.

Overall I think Ozzy was a good not great goalie during an era of some really great goaltenders. He's similar to Fleury career-wise but a notch below because of Fleury's longevity, resurgence and Vezina.

That being said if I could choose between 2008-9 Ozzy and any era Fleury I go with Ozzy every time.

Reactions: FMichael

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
As a kid in the 90's, I loved Osgood so his 2008 redemption arc is still one of my favorite things about that Cup win.

But as others have alluded to, Osgood is a few rungs up the ladder from the current crop... Those guys are in the same category as guys like Ranford, Legace, Gustavsson etc., where they give you some Ooh's and Aah's but end up easily replace-able if they don't complete implode before they leave.

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
He was put on waivers because Holland traded for Hasek.

Early in his career Ozzy had a reputation not unlike Fleury for letting in backbreaking goals under pressure.

Overall I think Ozzy was a good not great goalie during an era of some really great goaltenders. He's similar to Fleury career-wise but a notch below because of Fleury's longevity, resurgence and Vezina.

That being said if I could choose between 2008-9 Ozzy and any era Fleury I go with Ozzy every time.
I was younger then (I mean we all were lol) but kinda forgot how he left, I knew why. But the waiver draft ended in 03, and looking through it seems like he was the best player that got put on it

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I was younger then (I mean we all were lol) but kinda forgot how he left, I knew why. But the waiver draft ended in 03, and looking through it seems like he was the best player that got put on it

IIRC, teams usually worked out waiver draft issues over the summer, but Holland had a tough time moving Osgood because he was in a lame duck spot, looked like he was on the decline coming off his worst season since his rookie year and had just finished the first season of a back loaded contract extension that made him one of the higher paid goalies not named Roy or Hasek.

I'd give the "best player to move in the old waiver draft" honor to Igor Larionov. He was left unprotected by the Canucks and claimed by the Sharks after a 65pt season where he tore it up with Bure. Though he was left exposed because his contract ended and he signed somewhere in Europe as a protest over some agency in Russia getting a huge cut of Russian NHL players salaries. You also had guys like Robert Lang and Kirk Muller, but their waiver draft movement came before or after they were considered "good", respectively.

Reactions: Twinger

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
IIRC, teams usually worked out waiver draft issues over the summer, but Holland had a tough time moving Osgood because he was in a lame duck spot, looked like he was on the decline coming off his worst season since his rookie year and had just finished the first season of a back loaded contract extension that made him one of the higher paid goalies not named Roy or Hasek.

I'd give the "best player to move in the old waiver draft" honor to Igor Larionov. He was left unprotected by the Canucks and claimed by the Sharks after a 65pt season where he tore it up with Bure. Though he was left exposed because his contract ended and he signed somewhere in Europe as a protest over some agency in Russia getting a huge cut of Russian NHL players salaries. You also had guys like Robert Lang and Kirk Muller, but their waiver draft movement came before or after they were considered "good", respectively.
Ya I figured he was hard to move with Hasek.

I completely missed Larionov. I did see Lang but noticed it was before he really broke out

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I didn't like a single goalie (except for Hasek) that played for us over the last 30 years I've been following Red Wings. It was always "they can score at any given shot" and "we can loose any given game no matter how well we play" feelings.

Hasek provided different feelings. I knew that even if we play bad there is always a chance.

Reactions: 14ari13

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I didn't like a single goalie (except for Hasek) that played for us over the last 30 years I've been following Red Wings. It was always "they can score at any given shot" and "we can loose any given game no matter how well we play" feelings.

Hasek provided different feelings. I knew that even if we play bad there is always a chance.
Hope '08 cured you of that belief.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think he was a great goalie for us but he also benefited from an unbelievably stacked roster. Check out his stats when he went to the Islanders, still good but a significant dip.
If we had a functioning team right now that was not full or roster holes our goalies would be a different story too

One Horse Town

Nov 29, 2023
osgood was definitely good and am in no way comparing him to this guy, but Howard was actually a pretty good goalie. He let in some softies but so did ozzy.

Howard definitely kept us in the game when we shouldn't have on many of occasions. Other than him, yes, we have had some extremely bad luck with goalies on our team. Hopefully the three top goalie prospects we have will pan out (gylander, cossa, augustine). I swear...Augustine looks and plays like a Quick clone and I am definitely here for it.
Howard? FFS he had the best post cap defense in front (Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart and Rafalski) of him and was NOT very good.

One Horse Town

Nov 29, 2023
I think he was a great goalie for us but he also benefited from an unbelievably stacked roster. Check out his stats when he went to the Islanders, still good but a significant dip.
If we had a functioning team right now that was not full or roster holes our goalies would be a different story too
Let's be fair. Before Osgood got to the NYI they were a 5th place team missing the playoffs. In Osgood's two seasons with NYI they made the playoffs both years.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Howard was great for us in his 1st 2 seasons.
Lagace was great until he failed in playoffs
Osgood was solid, but he never stole us a single game
Let's be fair. Before Osgood got to the NYI they were a 5th place team missing the playoffs. In Osgood's two seasons with NYI they made the playoffs both years.
And he was good in st Louis

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Howard was great for us in his 1st 2 seasons.
Lagace was great until he failed in playoffs
Osgood was solid, but he never stole us a single game

And he was good in st Louis
You think a goalie who won us 317 regular season games and 67 playoffs game never once stole us a game. Not even once? He got Vezina votes in 4 seasons, and you think in any of those seasons, he never once stood on his beautiful head?

Come on man...

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
nah nah nah I totally feel that and its not what I mean. I just think people discount how good the wings were. Osgood got hall of fame stats with the wings. If Osgood was on a less historic team I am not saying he would not be good. But we would not get nearly the praise he gets if that makes sense. Take someone like Hasek or Roy or even Luongo or Lundqvist and they are probably cup contendors. Osgood is not individually in the tier that many people put him in because he reached that tier on a hall of fame roster. It's not meant to be a criticism, it is what it is and just how I feel.

It's not that he wasn't good he outplayed other goalies and justifiably earned and kept the position. But even Legacy looked good, and Vernon looked unbeatable with that team. The team made a good goalie look like a world beater. I maintain that he was more good enough, than great.

I watched much of his career and to me his mobility was his strength, but he was often out of position and didn't have great rebound control. It was the HOF defense that made that issue unexploitable. Osgood made a lot of highlight reel saves because he was often not in the position to make a simple textbook save and then the hall of fame defense cleaned it up. Quite often goals scored against him he wouldn't even be on the side of the net it went in. It wasn't like he was beat he wasn't even there.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You think a goalie who won us 317 regular season games and 67 playoffs game never once stole us a game. Not even once? He got Vezina votes in 4 seasons, and you think in any of those seasons, he never once stood on his beautiful head?

Come on man...
You can easily find 10 goalies who were better than him. Back in the day when this was discussed on the main board other teams' fans said the wings won despite of Osgood not because of him.
Start a topic on the main board and see responses.

One Horse Town

Nov 29, 2023
You can easily find 10 goalies who were better than him. Back in the day when this was discussed on the main board other teams' fans said the wings won despite of Osgood not because of him.
Start a topic on the main board and see responses.
Then they WERE NOT watching. It's really that simple. Do you think he was better than Grant Fuhr's life 3.83 GAA?

I feel he was held back as a good goalie because of the fact he played on good teams. There were many who tried and failed on good to great teams in Detroit who were good or better. What happened to the Wings in 1999 when Osgood went down?

Joseph
Ranford
Wregget
and several more

FFS why does this guy get so much hate?

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad