Chris Nilan

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hey everyone,

Wanted to learn a bit about Chris "Nails" Nilan since his heyday was a bit before I got into hockey. Here's what I know/have questions on "shooting from the hip" so to speak. Correct me on items if needed:

-Played with the Montreal Canadiens
-Was the nickname "nails" pertaining to the "tough as nails" expression or something different? Any good/funny interesting story on how he got it?
-Not hockey related, but it seems like his forehead is enormous.
-Was he like a tough guy with a scoring touch? Or just a tough guy with no scoring touch?

Tell me anything else too (if you like) you think may be interesting, good or bad. Look forward to the knowledge/thoughts! *head swabs*-Jim

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
His nickname was/is Knuckles.

He was tough, would fight anyone to stick up for his teammates. He worked very hard to become a good player. Played a fair bit with Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau on a checking line.

He currently is a radio host on TSN690 in Montréal (off until September at the moment). He gets alot of ex and current NHLers on his show during the season.

Edit He has a book out: Fighting Back - The Chris Nilan Story

There is also a documentary which I highly recommend: The Last Gladiators

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Nilan’s odd connection to Whitey Bulger:

Whitey Bulger allowed to keep Stanley Cup ring

If you don’t know... James “Whitey” Bulger was one of the most fearsome gangsters in the history Of the Boston underworld.

Nilan is from the West Roxbury section of Boston (Westie). Grew up a Bruins fan, but played for the Canadiens. He did play for the Bruins for a little while, but is known best for his time in Montreal.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
His nickname was knuckles, not nails.
Ok?
He came into the league as a 3 minute a night goon and worked on his skills until he was able to play on a shutdown line with Carbo and Gainey. Lemaire occasionally used him as a crease man on the PP.
He could hit and was frankly fairly dirty. Entertaining on the ice though, especially when playing against the Nordiques and Bruins which also had their share of goons.
After Lemaire was fired he had another good year then the wheels came off and he started to spiral downward. This expedited when he left Montreal and lead to various off ice issued documented in the film made about him and other tough guys 'The Last Gladiators'.

He also has a book which frankly isn't that good, it's mostly a fluff piece. The parts about his childhood were interesting though.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
His nickname was/is Knuckles.

He was tough, would fight anyone to stick up for his teammates. He worked very hard to become a good player. Played a fair bit with Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau on a checking line.

He currently is a radio host on TSN690 in Montréal (off until September at the moment). He gets alot of ex and current NHLers on his show during the season.

Edit He has a book out: Fighting Back - The Chris Nilan Story

There is also a documentary which I highly recommend: The Last Gladiators

Thank you for the nickname correction!

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
This "Last Gladiators" film sounds so good/interesting!!!
After Max Domi was traded to the Habs a while ago, his dad Tie was on the radio with Knuckles (and apparently Tie does very little media these days). It came across at least to me during the interview that Knuckles was Tie`s idol. From the guests he gets on his radio show (i.e. Brian Burke, Serge Savard, Guy Carbonneau, Gerard Gallant, Guy Lafleur, Chris Chelios regular guest Kerry Fraser to name just a few) there is alot of respect around the hockey world for Knuckles.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Just got done watching "The Last Gladiators." A big thank you to Streitz for really giving the big recommendation (as did you other guys). I hope Nilan can stay on track...the guy always has hockey in his blood and to hear that he does a radio show sounds absolutely perfect! It's like he has an avenue now to channel his love for the game even though he may not be an NHL player. It was a bit of a heartbreaker in a way.....boy his dad really wants him to get it turned around, you can see it and hear it.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Another fun fact: in the Good Friday brawl between Quebec and Montreal, Nilan got 2 separate 5 minute majors, plus a 10 minute misconduct and a game misconduct.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I was corrected on this a few posts earlier. Ugh I felt dumb I screwed that up!

Nothing dumb about it, you're here to learn more about him.

On a personal level for Nilan, one of the greatest accomplishments he had, beyond winning the Stanley Cup in 1986 with Montreal, was being named to the Team USA roster for the 1987 Canada Cup.

That is extremely impressive, but what makes it even more of an interesting footnote is who he beat out for the spot: Brett Hull.

The Team USA Coach was Bob Johnson, who was also the Calgary Flames coach. Johnson cut Hull, who he coached with the Flames in order to keep Nilan, which really upset Hull who complained openly in the media at the time. Nilan, who was a no nonsense person on the ice and off, had this to say about the choice: “Brett Hull was really upset. He couldn’t believe it. ‘Can you imagine? Chris Nilan, they picked him over me?’ Here’s the deal: Brett Hull was fat. He was upset with me because I made the team, and he kind of brought attention to it in the media. But the bottom line was fatso was too fat to play.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Engine

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Nothing dumb about it, you're here to learn more about him.

On a personal level for Nilan, one of the greatest accomplishments he had, beyond winning the Stanley Cup in 1986 with Montreal, was being named to the Team USA roster for the 1987 Canada Cup.

That is extremely impressive, but what makes it even more of an interesting footnote is who he beat out for the spot: Brett Hull.

The Team USA Coach was Bob Johnson, who was also the Calgary Flames coach. Johnson cut Hull, who coached with the Flames in order to keep Nilan, which really upset Hull who complained openly in the media at the time. Nilan, who was a no nonsense person on the ice and off, had this to say about the choice: “Brett Hull was really upset. He couldn’t believe it. ‘Can you imagine? Chris Nilan, they picked him over me?’ Here’s the deal: Brett Hull was fat. He was upset with me because I made the team, and he kind of brought attention to it in the media. But the bottom line was fatso was too fat to play.”

LOL! That is so funny and interesting!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad