Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil officially annouces his retirement

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I love Chris Neil and consider him a legend.

Retire the jersey. Hockey is about speed, skill, toughness and IQ. Neil was the toughest player in the NHL during his time and his IQ for the feel of the game on the physical side is still one of the best in the history of hockey.

Reture his jersey because he’s the toughest Player ever, we need A 25 year old Chris Neil right now, that’s how important he was to the Senators.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That was awesome. Chris Neil is awesome. Hope he sticks around the organization and keeps that motivation, hard work level up high.
There's a guy who deserves a high five.
:5:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Incredible career Chris. You were really tough as nails, a guy I would go to war with anytime. Got a little disrespect at the end of your career by some fans who simply don't understand that declining is just natural. You gave your best, as long as you possibly could. Congrats.

Personally very happy that the 2 Chris were career Senators, great legacy. Too bad that Daniel went to play 1 season in Detroit...

Reactions: derriko and aragorn

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Watching that clip made me remember just how the league has really tried to take big hits out of the game.

I miss that league, and I miss Chris Neil. Hell of a career from a guy nobody expected to last in the nhl.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Neil was a guy who LOVED to hit. It's super rare then and now to find a forward who play a regular shift, fight anyone, skate well, and just absolutely loved to crush players. The hit behind the net was one of his classic moves. Guy sling shooting hard around his own net looking to fly out of the zone and BOOM the Neil freight train comes crushing in.

As he said he liked to hit face to face, body on body.

What a momentum changing player for us, he was more valuable to this franchise than most other players to ever play here. Thanks for the memories, and all the nostalgia of a time when this team was finally building up respect as a young team in the league.

Ring of honour and a role with the team is required for this legacy Senator player.

Neil the Legend!

Reactions: Neiler

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Some people called him a goon. Guess what, he's never been suspended! He knew how to get the team and fans motivated.
We're obviously missing something this year. Just can't quite place what it is....... :fight:

He was one of the best at what he did, bravo Mr. Neil, great career!

Reactions: derriko and Neiler

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Good times.

Love Chris Neil ... favourite player ... & never been suspended playing like that is an incredible legacy. This entire team today doesn't have the kind of heart Neil played with every game. Ring of Honour for sure & if they also retire his jersey even better. Great guy, great fan favourite & great community guy.

Reactions: derriko

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Let's be honest, some of the hits Neil made ten years ago would probably have gotten him suspended under today's rules. Having said that though, he was one of the cleanest bodycheckers ever and was the opposite of a head hunter.

Loved him with Vermette and Kelly. That was probably one of the best lines the Sens have ever had to put out there.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'm glad that Neil never got dummied towards the end of his career like Domi did.

No sour note at the end to tarnish his legacy. One of my favorite senators to ever wear the Jersey for sure.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Let's be honest, some of the hits Neil made ten years ago would probably have gotten him suspended under today's rules. Having said that though, he was one of the cleanest bodycheckers ever and was the opposite of a head hunter.

Loved him with Vermette and Kelly. That was probably one of the best lines the Sens have ever had to put out there.
Probably. But that seems like a pretty weak way to gauge a guy. How can he play according to rules that don't yet exist?

I cheered when I saw Neiler retired today. Not because I'm glad to see him retire, but because I'm so glad he never wore a non-Senators jersey. Truly a one-of-a-kind player. Not jersey retirement worthy, IMO, but very much a local hero and rightfully so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->