Post-Game Talk: Chris Lee spoils Habs's Blockaid -- Stinging loss to Wild, 3-4

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Lots of time for the team to stew about this one considering our next game isnt until f***ing thursday the league needs to fire their scheduler
Sorry man, but anyone who holds this opinion is ill-informed. Sports scheduling is a complex mathematical problem with tens or hundreds of thousands of constraints and optimizations. Minimize travel for all teams, reduced and fair distribution of back to back games, even spread of games for each team throughout the week, other events in the team's venues, national and local tv rights, length of homestand and road trips, team specific scheduling traditions such as Habs superbowl weekend afternoon games, asymmetry of conference and division alignment.

Indeed, the "league" doesn't even schedule the games. There is no "scheduler" that sits at a desk and manually develops a schedule. This is done automatically by a third party software product.

There can be no optimal schedule, only a schedule that is less bad than all others, given all the constraints and optimizations at play.

It's clear that you have never considered all this if you feel the league scheduler should be fired just because the Habs have three days off.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
I love the habs, but let's face it, this team isn't very good at hockey.

Outside of petry, the D is bad. Our forwards are hard triers but not elite. They win if the goaltending is great and the forwards give ++ effort. It's just not sustainable over a long season and our small forwards will get worn down.

It's agony to me. I think we need to move anyone and everything (within reason, or maybe just outside it) we can to get #1 pick next year.

Reactions: FlatIron

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sorry man, but anyone who holds this opinion is ill-informed. Sports scheduling is a complex mathematical problem with tens or hundreds of thousands of constraints and optimizations. Minimize travel for all teams, reduced and fair distribution of back to back games, even spread of games for each team throughout the week, other events in the team's venues, national and local tv rights, length of homestand and road trips, team specific scheduling traditions such as Habs superbowl weekend afternoon games, asymmetry of conference and division alignment.

Indeed, the "league" doesn't even schedule the games. There is no "scheduler" that sits at a desk and manually develops a schedule. This is done automatically by a third party software product.

There can be no optimal schedule, only a schedule that is less bad than all others, given all the constraints and optimizations at play.

It's clear that you have never considered all this if you feel the league scheduler should be fired just because the Habs have three days off.
Whats clear then is they need a new algorithm because this one is trash 3 games off when we have only played 10 all season is asinine

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We are also 1-0-0 when playing a team that is playing back-to-back (not a regulation win)

The Habs also played against like 3 or 4 backup goalies so far?

Yes, as I posted earlier, a more accurate, though lengthy, picture of our record is
3-1-3 when no team is playing on a back to back
1-0-0 when we play a team on a back to back
0-2-0 when we are playing on a back to back.

What is our record when you further take into account us playing against backups AND the opposition playing against our back up? Probably good to know the facts if you're going to bring up the point. But the backups is a good point. Taking it into account would give a better picture of the start to the season.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If anything is obvious regarding development and progress with this team is to not take it for granted how young guys will improve.

I think this is mostly right with our prospects that are less advanced on the defensive side of things, however those who arrive with good D awareness generally get plenty more opportunities. See: Gallagher

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Comes down to bad coaching, some bad players and that was an awfully reff'd game. Team has to wave bye bye to Byron, Leks, Weber and go for the rebuild with a new GM, that isn't addicted to smurfs and waiver wire pickups. Jordan Weal sucks balls, yet he gets more precious moments than he should ever get on any team. Paul Byron wears an A, and is totally lost out there, not exactly inspiring. Something is wrong with Weber, looks totally in a fog.

Reactions: habsfan891

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
This team is actually playing better than I think most people would expect given the roster on paper. Yesterday, reffing aside, was a similar story to what we saw against Tampa. A team that played well for stretches and outplayed the other team for a while... But when the tide turns, this team just falls apart. Tampa, and then Minny yesterday, just managed to take over the game and from that point, the defense fell apart.

It is a huge weakness, just huge. It's absolutely bonkers to me that we have been seeing these same holes for 3 seasons (4 seasons?) now. Bergevin is completely unable to fix the holes he created. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like it before.

What's worse is... How do you even improve it at this point?
- Mete is too young, he needs to play. His spot is safe
- Chiarot is MB's big prize summer acquisition. His spot is safe until he Alzners out.
- Kulak is actually pretty good, and still improving. He's not going to become a star but he is good enough to play on the 3rd pairing, and not good enough to trade. So what do you do with him?
- Weber is going to play until he doesn't want to play anymore.
- Petry, all things considered, is a godsend.
- Then you have Fleury and Folin. I want Fleury to play more, and improving on Folin means Fleury doesn't play. Plus, it's unlikely anyone can or should play ahead of Weber and Petry on the right.

So, you improve on the left, I guess, and then probably sit Kulak? Meh...

What a shitty situation to be in.

Here's my fearless prediction, though.... Within 2 years, Weber is going to be playing the role of a 3rd pairing D. And by that I mean, he will still play in his same spot but his deployment and icetime will look more like a 3rd pairing D. Someone else will be doing the heavy lifting.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This team is actually playing better than I think most people would expect given the roster on paper. Yesterday, reffing aside, was a similar story to what we saw against Tampa. A team that played well for stretches and outplayed the other team for a while... But when the tide turns, this team just falls apart. Tampa, and then Minny yesterday, just managed to take over the game and from that point, the defense fell apart.

It is a huge weakness, just huge. It's absolutely bonkers to me that we have been seeing these same holes for 3 seasons (4 seasons?) now. Bergevin is completely unable to fix the holes he created. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like it before.

- Chiarot is MB's big prize summer acquisition. His spot is safe until he Alzners out.
- Kulak is actually pretty good, and still improving. He's not going to become a star but he is good enough to play on the 3rd pairing, and not good enough to trade. So what do you do with him?
- Then you have Fleury and Folin. I want Fleury to play more, and improving on Folin means Fleury doesn't play. Plus, it's unlikely anyone can or should play ahead of Weber and Petry on the right.

What a ****ty situation to be in.

Here's my fearless prediction, though.... Within 2 years, Weber is going to be playing the role of a 3rd pairing D. And by that I mean, he will still play in his same spot but his deployment and icetime will look more like a 3rd pairing D. Someone else will be doing the heavy lifting.

I don't want to give up assets for a LD. But if we did get a partner for Weber, because as you said, Mete needs to play, I would send him to Laval to play 25 minutes a night. Then at some point he replaces Chiarot, who goes to #7. Keep the Kulak-Petry duo intact.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't want to give up assets for a LD. But if we did get a partner for Weber, because as you said, Mete needs to play, I would send him to Laval to play 25 minutes a night. Then at some point he replaces Chiarot, who goes to #7. Keep the Kulak-Petry duo intact.
Mete is already better than both Kulak and Chiarot, how does that make any sense? He's coming off probably the best three games of his career and people are still claiming BS like that?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We are also 1-0-0 when playing a team that is playing back-to-back (not a regulation win)

Here is a more detailed picture of our record after 9 games:

Our Record
Clean games (neither team uses backup goalie or is on a back-to-back) 1-1-1
Against opposition's backup & neither team on a back-to-back2-0-0
Against opposition's backup & opposition is on a back-to-back1(so)-0-0
Against opposition's backup & we're on a back-to-back0-1-0
We use our back up & neither team is on a back to back0-0-1
We use our back up & we're on a back to back0-1-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't get the anger in this thread. Third game in four nights and we're coming off two wins. The Wild were desperate for a win and it's on the road with our back goalie...

The Wild are a lot better than their record shows, they had 2 days off and there was a lot of frustration after their loss on Thursday so it was expected they'd play a very hard game.

It sucks we lost given we were up 2-1 and 3-2, but there is a lot of overreaction around here. The only big negative I have is the team needs to stop taking such stupid penalties and also our PK has to greatly improve.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mete is already better than both Kulak and Chiarot, how does that make any sense? He's coming off probably the best three games of his career and people are still claiming BS like that?

I have no problem with Mete taking Chiarot's spot.
When I said when Mete is ready, I was really referring to when management is ready for Mete to take Chiarot's spot. Until they're ready, I'd rather keep Kulak and Petry together and have Mete play 25 minutes a night in Laval - that would only help his development, imo. I'm a fan of Mete and think he could become really good offensively and defensively in a couple of years....

But like I said, I wouldn't give up assets to get Shea Weber an LD partner. It would cost too much. We have a plethora of good young D prospects. What we need is an elite #1 young dman. If a trade for such a player presents itself, that I would do. But I don't see that happening.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

What a ****ty situation to be in.

Why was Folin scratched? I thought he played really well lately.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I guess they wanted to get Fleury some time? I think they are both pretty good for their current roles. I like Fleury a lot, he brings some sandpaper but Folin is physical too.

I like Fleury as well, think it sends the wrong message to pull a guy out when he's having a good game though.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
It's games like this that really hurt.2 points against a pathetic Wild team should have been easy. KK should be sent to Laval for awhile.He just cannot compete most nights and looks lost out there.He is too slow and needs to get his game in order Bring up Poehling or someone else that is doing anything in Laval.Speaking of slow Weber looks like he is going down hill fast.Oh and the latest Karl Alsner pickup from bargain bin Charriot or whatever the hell his name is nothing better than i pylon and turnover machine.Who the hell are scouting these guys...5 year olds?

Your username is accurate.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

We played against 4 number two in 9 games which is let's say ... kind of a repeat of last year and just show how we are not considered a top team in the league. We faced a number 2 against Toronto, Detroit, Minnesota and St Louis. We could argue Detroit doesn't have a number 1 though i mean both Bernier and Howard would not be the number 1 of pretty much any other team.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I thought the team had a gutsy effort considering how much hockey they've played. Kinkaid made a beauty save... crappy we didn't win but whatever. Still took the game from the Blues so all and all not bad.
Yeah I agree with that. Minny may not be a good team but they were rested and gave it 100%. They wanted revenge and no doubt all that drama motivated them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->