Player Discussion: Chris Kunitz

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think our team has plenty of veterans now. We dont need one just to get one. I want guys who can play now. Preferably one our young guys who are waiting for their turn.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
1 point in 17 playoff games, being healthy was actually endeded up burning him out by playoff time, guy was an anchor to a solid 4th line.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Is there another guy who has Kunitz's intangibles out there as UFA? Matt Cullen is even older at 41.

Justin Williams of course, but he's multi-year with CAR.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was very disappointed with Kunitz in the playoffs. 2/3rd of the 4th line were playing with fire and on another level, and were great, and if he was more engaged in the offense end of things, that line would have scored even more goals. What annoyed me the most about Kunitz was he would go off on a change, likely because he was gassed during an active sequence. There was one in particular where they were actually in their own zone and did not have control and he went off for a slow change and I believe it was Kuznetsov who read that and created a prime scoring chance, luckily no goal was scored.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I respect Kunitz but it's time for him to heck off. I wish I could not have been surprised when I saw him go out there and do nothing whenever he was on the ice. I would much rather give someone like Erne or Conacher a chance instead

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I've been thinking about this for weeks, but what about Matt Calvert in Kunitz' spot? He played for Todd Richards in C-bus.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I've been thinking about this for weeks, but what about Matt Calvert in Kunitz' spot? He played for Todd Richards in C-bus.

He's going to want about 2.5 a year. If it wasn't for Callahan we could do that but we can't afford that much for a 4th liner right now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He had 13 goals in the regular season which is quite remarkable for an aging 4th liner (with occasional top-6 minutes along the big guns). But his playoffs performance was nothing to write home about. A banged up Callahan was 10x more effective than him. Yikes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We probably should have rested him a bunch down the stretch. He looked out of gas in the playoffs.

That said, he beat all expectations (which were low) in the regular season. I'd only bring him back if for some reason we knew absolutely for sure that guys like Joseph, Volkov, and Stephens are going back to the A for another year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We probably should have rested him a bunch down the stretch. He looked out of gas in the playoffs.

That said, he beat all expectations (which were low) in the regular season. I'd only bring him back if for some reason we knew absolutely for sure that guys like Joseph, Volkov, and Stephens are going back to the A for another year.

No reason to bring him back, he'd just become an anchor once again in the playoffs because Cooper doesn't sit vets, his production can be replaced fairly easily and he sucks on defense. Conacher who we have for another year would've scored 13+ goals had he been in as many games as Kunitz.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
No reason to bring him back, he'd just become an anchor once again in the playoffs because Cooper doesn't sit vets, his production can be replaced fairly easily and he sucks on defense. Conacher who we have for another year would've scored 13+ goals had he been in as many games as Kunitz.
I like that our collective thinking tries to work around the premise the coach can't control himself.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad