Chris Kunitz

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
We have a player discussion post for every other player under the sun.

Chris Kunitz: $3,725,000 cap hit, on pace for 39 goals.

A lot of people said the Dupuis contract was good, well, what's that make the Kunitz contract?

Not the physical player he used to be, Kunitz has remade himself in the mold of a scorer, with a better-than-most-people-think shot and the willingness and ability to get to the dirty areas to put home the trash.

Not as consistent as we'd like, and often criticized for "playing like ass", Kunitz has to have, on a cap hit: production ratio, one of the best bargain contracts in the NHL.

The Penguins have scored 228 goals this year, Kunitz and Crosby account for 68 (30%) of those goals.

So, a Kunitz discussion and, really, appreciation thread. Without him and Sid, this team would be in trouble this year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kunitz is awesome, and he really has completely adjusted his game. He was playing a physical game and missing 20 games a year because of it. Now he's playing like a scorer and its working. I love Chris Kunitz, even if he does occasionally play like ass.

Jedi Pengu*

Yes, we're lucky to have Kunitz at that contract. Now if we can we can shed the horrible contracts (Orpik, Glass, etc.) Kunitz's deal should help us big time cap wise. Utilize our young cheaper defenseman and go get those skilled wingers. I'd go with the farm to replace the 4th liners. Always thought they play harder.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Kunitz deal is the partial counterweight to the abject awfulness of the Scuderi and Dupuis (to a lesser degree, only because of his usage) deals.

Yeah... he is prone to cold streaks where he looks like a third liner and he elicits some occasional frustration but really... what is there to complain about? He's a great compliment to both of the team's big players and a pretty good player in his own right.

I suppose there is some fear about him potentially breaking down as his contract wears on. But I think he still has a decent bit of tread on the tires, especially since he's been evolving his game more as a scorer. Worst case... he should still make for a pretty good third line/tweener on the tail end of his deal. Or I could see him still fetching interest from some teams down the road, if necessary.

Michael8771*

He's already outplayed his cap hit, let's hope he gets hot in the playoffs when it matters most.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I love everything he brings to the team but I think the biggest problem with KCD is Kunitz being the second wheel more than Dupuis being the third wheel.

I really would have liked to have seen...

Dupuis-Crosby-Neal
Kunitz-Malkin-Jokinen

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
The Pens have been really lucky to have one or more players really playing above themselves year after year. Without getting too negative or specific, it is a shame that a few other factors have weighed down the squad despite these bright spots.

Here's hoping Kunitz has a great playoffs.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
As much as I love how Kunitz has adjusted his game, I miss his edgy physical play as well. We need that edge especially come playoff time.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
in the future when kunitz makes his way to the third line we will have a very interesting lineup

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
As much as I love how Kunitz has adjusted his game, I miss his edgy physical play as well. We need that edge especially come playoff time.

One of my favorite hits of this generation's Penguins. They used to really set the tone for playoff series with their physicality.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Glad he's found more of a scoring touch, but I kind of miss him being more of a physical presence. He still gets his hits, but he doesn't seem as punishing as before.

Can't complain about his cap hit. To get 30+ goals for under $4 million is quite a coup. I still contend he'd be at his best as a third wheel, but that's more on Shero and Bylsma than it is a criticism of anything about Kunitz.

And speaking of his scoring, he's damn streaky. The dude was on fire before the halfway point, but has been more around the 20 to 25 guy he's been over his career during the second half. If the Pens have any hope of going deep in the playoffs, they'll need first half Kunitz rather than second half Kunitz.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Kunitz was damn physical against the Flyers in that series (a few years ago). I love that Kunitz hit on Timonen, same with Army on Koivu of Montreal.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I love the production, but I miss the punishing physicality. He's also prone to taking a lot of dumb/lazy penalties, especially in the offensive zone, more specifically on the power play.

He'll be 35 come next season, which I think makes Sid's winger issue even more urgent. He can't keep this production up forever, especially considering where he scores a lot of his goals from.

ObsessedCreative*

I love the production, but I miss the punishing physicality. He's also prone to taking a lot of dumb/lazy penalties, especially in the offensive zone, more specifically on the power play.

He'll be 35 come next season, which I think makes Sid's winger issue even more urgent. He can't keep this production up forever, especially considering where he scores a lot of his goals from.

That's why we have tanner glass! Just ask the PGH media! :sarcasm::laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I miss physical Kunitz too, but he was constantly getting injured playing like that though. Kunitz simply isn't big enough to play that game into his late 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad