News Article: Chris Kunitz is our new LGBTQ ambassador

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
yes. That statistic assumes its all people. So with 100 people, you have 50 men and 50 women, so probably 2 LGBTQ men and 2 LGBTQ women. But if you have a room of 100 men, you've double the number of men, so you probably have 4 LGBTQ men.

Ok, that makes sense. Now I remembered why i hated statistics. Im still not sure how that's correct when we know there are more gays than trans. We're lumping everyone into the LBGT category, but it can't be accurate that a man is a lesbian. I don't know, nor care to know what the hell Q is.

So according to this, 1.6 Americans identify as gay or lesbian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual.[1] In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender).[2] An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Gay and lesbian are the same thing. As for trans, if you don't count trans men with the group of men, then you need to count the trans women with the group of men.

That link would say 2.3% of people are gay or bi, which is just under what I rounded to earlier when I removed trans. I'm not sure its fair to rule out trans, but that number would point to about 14 gay or bi NHL players.

RR1107

Mar 30, 2004
yes. That statistic assumes its all people. So with 100 people, you have 50 men and 50 women, so probably 2 LGBTQ men and 2 LGBTQ women. But if you have a room of 100 men, you've double the number of men, so you probably have 4 LGBTQ men.

The statistic does assume it is all people, which is why you can't assume that the statistic is the same when you alter the sample. For instance, a sample of 100 people, 50 male and 50 female could work out to 4% if you have 1 LGBTQ male and 3 female. Remove all females, and the percentage becomes 1%.

A quick look at the Wikipedia page for "LGBT Demographics of the United States" shows several different studies which express this point.

For instance:
2002-2013 National Survey of Family Growth
For 2013: Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Women: 6.8% Heterosexual: 92.3% Did Not Report: .9%
For 2012: Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Men: 3.9% Heterosexual: 95.1% Did Not Report: 1%

Working form this survey, a room with 100 people (50 male, 50 female) statistically could be expected to have (rounding up) ~4 Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual women and ~2 men, for a total of 6%.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The statistic does assume it is all people, which is why you can't assume that the statistic is the same when you alter the sample. For instance, a sample of 100 people, 50 male and 50 female could work out to 4% if you have 1 LGBTQ male and 3 female. Remove all females, and the percentage becomes 1%.

A quick look at the Wikipedia page for "LGBT Demographics of the United States" shows several different studies which express this point.

For instance:
2002-2013 National Survey of Family Growth
For 2013: Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Women: 6.8% Heterosexual: 92.3% Did Not Report: .9%
For 2012: Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Men: 3.9% Heterosexual: 95.1% Did Not Report: 1%

Working form this survey, a room with 100 people (50 male, 50 female) statistically could be expected to have (rounding up) ~4 Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual women and ~2 men, for a total of 6%.

I was just working from the stat given. In your first example, you are just as likely to have 3 LGBTQ males and 1 female, assuming just a straight 4% number. You're right that further breakdown into demographics could change the results. If more women are LGBTQ than men, then that would obviously change things. But either way, his assumption that removing women would simply subtract a part of the LGBTQ group without accounting for a change in the total number of people was incorrect.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Like I said earlier regarding if it's necessary or not due to the low percentage of people actually qualify.... If it helps just one person then it's worth it. And we may never know if this program actually helped any players or not and that's just fine by me. Sexuality should be a private matter, no matter who or what you're into :P

RR1107

Mar 30, 2004
I was just working from the stat given. In your first example, you are just as likely to have 3 LGBTQ males and 1 female, assuming just a straight 4% number. You're right that further breakdown into demographics could change the results. If more women are LGBTQ than men, then that would obviously change things. But either way, his assumption that removing women would simply subtract a part of the LGBTQ group without accounting for a change in the total number of people was incorrect.

Agreed :) I should have read back a bit more before commenting. If the assumption is that 4% applies universally, then any random sample should contain 4%, regardless of any other particulars. My point was only that the 4% number likely isn't a universal.

And regardless of how many people it is, shouldn't everyone be welcome to play hockey?

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Agreed :) I should have read back a bit more before commenting. If the assumption is that the 4% number applies universally, then any random sample should contain 4%, regardless of any other particulars. My point was only that the 4% number likely isn't a universal.

And regardless of how many people it is, shouldn't everyone be welcome to play hockey?

indeed all around.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Agreed :) I should have read back a bit more before commenting. If the assumption is that 4% applies universally, then any random sample should contain 4%, regardless of any other particulars. My point was only that the 4% number likely isn't a universal.

Everyone is welcome to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad