Player Discussion Chris Kreider

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Seems like we've reached the point in the season that's going to part the HFNYR sea into pro-tank and anti-tank camps.

Kreider is an enigma. I'm tired of trying to wrap my head around him. He is legitimately going to break his career high in points. It's only taken him eight years yet his physical powers seem to be only getting better. But he turns 29 in two months. And 30 is the unofficial barrier for a player's performance to start going downhill. A 6-7 year commitment, you'd like to get 4-5 good years out of it. He's such a physical specimen, you just might get that out of him. Yet every damn time he appears to finally get it together, something derails it.

Reactions: Mrpuck

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yo man, you keep beating the same drum. There's no recency bias. Some people have the ability to look past stats and see how a player can positively impact a game even if they don't show up on the score sheet. Yes, he's streaky but so is every player not named Crosby or McDavid. This disappearing act nonsense is such a lazy talking point. He is what he is a 27ish goal guy a year, he does it every year, and that's good enough for me when you consider everything else he brings to the table. Not good enough for you? Again, cool. But stop bringing up the same lazy twitter talking points.

So you're saying Kreider wasn't invisible the first weeks of the season? Go back and read through every single thread here. But yeah, I'm the idiot.

Kreider isn't worth 7m a year long term

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Seems like we've reached the point in the season that's going to part the HFNYR sea into pro-tank and anti-tank camps.

Kreider is an enigma. I'm tired of trying to wrap my head around him. He is legitimately going to break his career high in points. It's only taken him eight years yet his physical powers seem to be only getting better. But he turns 29 in two months. And 30 is the unofficial barrier for a player's performance to start going downhill. A 6-7 year commitment, you'd like to get 4-5 good years out of it. He's such a physical specimen, you just might get that out of him. Yet every damn time he appears to finally get it together, something derails it.

Everybody loves Kreider when he's on, but man when he's off he's cold as ice. His recent hot streak has done a very good job of masking his 1st half of the season. I think a lot of people look at his intangibles. However a 55 pt guy is a 55 pt guy. Kakko, Chytil and Kravtsov will likely be that and some in a short while.

The contract just can't start with a 7 in years or dollars. JG has his work cut out for him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What strawman? They're worse without him. This isn't even a debate. Unless you wanna spin some fantasy of them using all theez assets to get some kid his current team has no intention of trading.

And I love how you leave guys like Panarin, Zib and Trouba off your list of backs that are gonna carry the team. I wonder why? Actually, I don't. It's obvious.

You keep on saying this and no one has said this. You keep painting this image that everyone who wants to move Kreider only wants the assets but it's not that simple. Some of us are afraid of a long term commitment becoming an albatross and getting in the way of locking up better players eventually (or adding them via trade/UFA.)

Panarin and Zibanejad go with out saying, but they need MORE on top of those 2 - Which is really the point I was trying to make.

Also, if hes as good as you're claiming, then why is he only going to bring back a late 1st and B prospect? Can't have it both ways.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
You keep on saying this and no one has said this. You keep painting this image that everyone who wants to move Kreider only wants the assets but it's not that simple. Some of us are afraid of a long term commitment becoming an albatross and getting in the way of locking up better players eventually (or adding them via trade/UFA.)

Panarin and Zibanejad go with out saying, but they need MORE on top of those 2 - Which is really the point I was trying to make.

Also, if hes as good as you're claiming, then why is he only going to bring back a late 1st and B prospect? Can't have it both ways.

What are you afraid of?? Good lord, you people are so worried about 6 years from now. Panarin is the same age as Kreider. Mika's gonna be 32. Or are you planning on trading him in two years ? You're worried about Kreider but not Panarin? Is Panarin immune from father time? Is he gonna Benjamin Button his way through this contract? This time last year people were freaking out about what Anderson and Kravtsov's next contracts were gonna be, and how's that looking?

Reactions: Sayba

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
What are you afraid of?? Good lord, you people are so worried about 6 years from now. Panarin is the same age as Kreider. Mika's gonna be 32. Or are you planning on trading him in two years ? You're worried about Kreider but not Panarin? Is Panarin immune from father time? Is he gonna Benjamin Button his way through this contract? This time last year people were freaking out about what Anderson and Kravtsov's next contracts were gonna be, and how's that looking?
Agreed. Every player breaks down eventually and so will Kreider. However I don’t see it happening for a long time because he is a physical specimen who keeps himself in better shape than anybody I’ve seen

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Please don't try and compare Panarin with Mr Inconsistency.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
People are going to be debating this decision for the next 5-7 years. I really can see both sides and im on the fence, because I dont have the information I need to make that decision - and we may never have all of it.

Kreider is very valuable to this team right now, and will continue to be. If he plays like this the next few years he's sure worth a 6m+ cap hit. He could very well be captain material as well. He's built like a tank and if anyone is ever going to buck the age/performance trend its him - so im willing to go long on term - even at the expense of other players.

With that said, In his 8 years in the league his value has literally never been higher than it is today. He also happens to be the most coveted trade target in the NHL, something the Rangers have rarely had going into a deadline.

If (big if) they can get a team to match that value or exceed it for his services, does that outweigh the risk of signing him longterm and hoping he continues to deliver the production we have seen over the past 25 games? As others have mentioned, if you look at his career as a whole, hes a steady 25-25 guy who you wish would be more consistent to break that plateau.

Im stating the obvious here, but im trying to wrap my head around what the right course of action is and its really tough.

For me - Everything depends on the offers the Rangers are getting and the numbers Kreider is willing to take, and I just dont have that info so I cant make a decision.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
People are going to be debating this decision for the next 5-7 years. I really can see both sides and im on the fence.

Kreider is very valuable to this team right now, and will continue to be. If he plays like this the next few years he's sure worth a 6m+ cap hit. He could very well be captain material as well. He's built like a tank and if anyone is ever going to buck the age/performance trend its him.

With that said, In his 8 years in the league his value has literally never been higher than it is today. He also happens to be the most coveted trade target in the NHL, something the Rangers have rarely had going into a deadline. If (big if) they can get a team to match that value or exceed it for his services, does that outweigh the risk of signing him longterm and hoping he continues to deliver the production we have seen over the past 25 games?

Im stating the obvious here, but im trying to wrap my head around what the right course of action is and its really tough.

For me - Everything depends on the offers the Rangers are getting and the numbers Kreider is willing to take, and I just dont have that info so I cant make a decision.
The Rangers aren’t gonna get what they are asking for a rental. Colorado has already said there is no chance in hell they are trading their top orospects. Boston has shit to offer other than the 31 overall pick and a B level prospect(yippee lol). I do think those who are so gung ho on doing a trade are gonna be massively disappointing in the return.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The Rangers aren’t gonna get what they are asking for a rental. Colorado has already said there is no chance in hell they are trading their top orospects. Boston has shit to offer other than the 31 overall pick and a B level prospect(yippee lol). I do think those who are so gung ho on doing a trade are gonna be massively disappointing in the return.

While I tend to agree, How do we really know that? Just because Sakic is playing his violin to the media doesnt mean the Rangers cant sweeten the pot and try to pry the kids he doesn't want to move. Also what about St. Louis? Florida? Washington? Are they legit contenders or just kicking tires. I dont like Beecher but will Boston cave and send us Studnicka?

I can't assume anything, including what Kreider is willing to resign for. Also don't know what the Rangers thoughts are regarding buyouts and trading other players who are due for new contracts. It all factors into the decision making and I'm hoping the ultimate decision the Rangers make enlightens us to it all.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I was against signing Panarin for this very same reason (among others), so swing and a miss on your end.

Buttt since you asked, no I'm not as worried about him as I am with Kreider. He's a better player with a better head for the game and his style of game translates better with age than Kreider's does. It's not a sure thing for either of them - Panarin may decline hard next year, Kreider may be productive into his mid 30's - But I wouldn't be on it. Elite players have a better track record of aging in this league than the non elites.

Forget Anderson and Kravstov. How about Chytil? Fox? Kakko? DeAngelo (who needs to be signed in a few months.) Guys who are here and contributing? They aren't going to be on ELC's or one year out from one for long.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
While I tend to agree, How do we really know that? Just because Sakic is playing his violin to the media doesnt mean the Rangers cant sweeten the pot and try to pry the kids he doesn't want to move. Also what about St. Louis? Florida? Washington? Are they legit contenders or just kicking tires. I dont like Beecher but will Boston cave and send us Studnicka?

I can't assume anything, including what Kreider is willing to resign for. Also don't know what the Rangers thoughts are regarding buyouts and trading other players who are due for new contracts. It all factors into the decision making

I don’t know for sure but I just don’t see it for a rental . Like I said if we got what the devils got for Hall I would be more willing to do it but we are mostly likely getting the 29-31st pick along with maybe a decent prospect or bottom 6 player. I’m sorry but that doesn’t exactly make me jump up for joy given the type of player we are losing. Plus I don’t f***ing get it...this team is not a bottom feeder we are goddamn close to getting into the playoffs. There is still time and this team is playing well

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I was against signing Panarin for this very same reason (among others), so swing and a miss on your end.

Buttt since you asked, no I'm not as worried about him as I am with Kreider. He's a better player with a better head for the game and his style of game translates better with age than Kreider's does. It's not a sure thing for either of them - Panarin may decline hard next year, Kreider may be productive into his mid 30's - But I wouldn't be on it. Elite players have a better track record of aging in this league than the non elites.

Forget Anderson and Kravstov. How about Chytil? Fox? Kakko? DeAngelo (who needs to be signed in a few months.) Guys who are here and contributing? They aren't going to be on ELC's or one year out from one for long.

I'm glad you're not concerned about Panarin because it suits your narrative. And there's room for all of them after next season when all those contracts come off the books. And that includes Kreiders next deal if they're so inclined.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm glad you're not concerned about Panarin because it suits your narrative. And there's room for all of them after next season when all those contracts come off the books. And that includes Kreiders next deal if they're so inclined.

No I am concerned, You must have missed this

"I was against signing Panarin for this very same reason (among others), so swing and a miss on your end."

But less so than Kreider who plays a much more physically demanding style, I don't see how this is debatable. Putting words in my mouth to fit your narrative is a bad look for you.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

He has a lot of swing and misses in this thread.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Screw it...I’ve went back and forth...back and forth and back and forth again for good measure about what to do about Kreider and I’ve come to this decision:

Unless Gorton gets blown away by someone....hint Sakic and we are bringing in a Newhook seeing the #1 pick is going to be in the 29-30 range, than I’m in favor of signing him for 7x7 and will trust that the “Panarin Effect”(think Butterfly Effect) will continue to translate up and down the lineup for years to come and we will be much closer to winning a Cup with him than withought him.

For those of y’all who are willing to go 6x7 and not a dime more I’ll argue the extra 7 mill will be better spent on Kreider than investing it on a Strome, Fast...etc.

It’s a tough call but I’ll put my faith that Gorton will figure out how to finagle the salary cap and that Kreider will remain in the phenomenal shape he’s always been here and this won’t backfire on us just like I don’t expect the back end of the Panarin contract to bite us in the ass.

Bottom line with the expected continued development of the kids and the fact the rebuild has already been accelerated with the signings and trades we made last off season, keepig Kreider I’m now convinced gives us the best chance to win a Cup in the next 5 years or so.

Tough call as I said as I see the other side of the coin but I’m now firmly in the keep Kreider camp unless we get blown away(ie...Newhook type).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad