Player Discussion Chris Kreider

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Support player? He has consistently been among the top Ranger forwards in driving play for his whole career.
Some will never get over the fact that he did t become a superstar(he was never suppose to). He had been a very good top 6 player, one of the best in front of the net, a very good playoff player, and has become a better overall player especially defensively. I think any team would be ecstatic if they got that from a guy they draft 19th overall

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Kreider was absolutely dominant tonight.

Literally the height of his career right now.
I have been waiting a lifetime for Kreids to play the way he did tonight. On that last Rangers goal, where Kreids controlled the puck, circling behind the net, then reversing back behind the net, then falling down in the corner while maintaining possession to finally find Buchy between the hash marks who shot it with Zibad deflecting it in,... was something I have been waiting for,... a hell of a long time. He has never showed that kind of strength on the puck before, in his entire career. And I always thought it would be a given with his size and strength.

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I have been waiting a lifetime for Kreids to play the way he did tonight. On that last Rangers goal, where Kreids controlled the puck, circling behind the net, then reversing back behind the net, then falling down in the corner while maintaining possession to finally find Buchy between the hash marks who shot it with Zibad deflecting it in,... was something I have been waiting for,... a hell of a long time. He has never showed that kind of strength on the puck before, in his entire career.
He recently has become an experienced veteran and has matured a lot in the last two years. He's been fantastic. The best I've ever seen him.

Reactions: Maximus and ohbaby

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I have been waiting a lifetime for Kreids to play the way he did tonight. On that last Rangers goal, where Kreids controlled the puck, circling behind the net, then reversing back behind the net, then falling down in the corner while maintaining possession to finally find Buchy between the hash marks who shot it with Zibad deflecting it in,... was something I have been waiting for,... a hell of a long time. He has never showed that kind of strength on the puck before, in his entire career.

So are you implying that he is now about to become a consistent 70 point player or is he showing off because he is in a contract year?

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
He recently has become an experienced veteran and has matured a lot in the last two years. He's been fantastic. The best I've ever seen him.
This is what kills me though. He waits until now to show his potential? What's to say he is not giving it his all to get the multi million dollar payday?

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
This is what kills me though. He waits until now to show his potential? What's to say he is not giving it his all to get the multi million dollar payday?
The guy gives his all. It wasn’t too long ago he had the blood clot and he he came back as soon as possibles to help the team. It takes players a while to become complete players most of the time

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
The guy gives his all. It wasn’t too long ago he had the blood clot and he he came back as soon as possibles to help the team. It takes players a while to become complete players most of the time
Yeah but I thought his all would be better. I always thought he would be the power forward in the mold of Jagr. But he never had the puck control,... of even that of Dubinsky. And after his debut in the playoffs when he first came here,.. everyone expected more. It's just irritating he is now the power forward we always thought he would be.

Last edited:

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Yeah but I thought his all would be better. I always thought he would be the power forward in the mold of Jagr. But he never had the puck control,... of even that of Dubinsky. And after his debut in the playoffs when he first came here,.. everyone expected more.m
see that’s my point. You took a small sample size and had unrealistic expectations. The kid has been a damn good player for us. Remember he is wasn’t a top pick he was 19. Most players picked in that spot do jack shit. CK has been a success

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
see that’s my point. You took a small sample size and had unrealistic expectations. The kid has been a damn good player for us. Remember he is wasn’t a top pick he was 19. Most players picked in that spot do jack shit. CK has been a success
I never said he was a disappointment. Just always knew he had more to give. And you can clearly see that in his last 30 games or so. Would I like him to stick with Zibad, who wouldn't? But this is clearly a case of Kreids making the best out of his current situation.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I never said he was a disappointment. Just always knew he had more to give. And you can clearly see that in his last 30 games or so. Would I like him to stick with Zibad, who wouldn't? But this is clearly a case of Kreids making the best out of his current situation

Not really. Last year he was having a great year too until he got injuted(which he played through by the way) otherwise he probably would have gotten 35 goals. The year before that he had the blood clot but still performed well despite missing a good chunk of time. Defensively he has become much much better than when he first entered the league and was awful defensively. Hell I trust him taking face offs much more than Mika lol

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Not really. Last year he was having a great year too until he got injuted(which he played through by the way) otherwise he probably would have gotten 35 goals. The year before that he had the blood clot but still performed well despite missing a good chunk of time. Defensively he has become much much better than when he first entered the league and was awful defensively. Hell I trust him taking face offs much more than Mika lol
He has never played as well as he is playing right now. It is night and day. Much more consistent.

He used to be a disaster defensively. Torts would bench him regularly. He has improved, but no one will ever consider him for the PK, that's for sure. I'll give you that he isn't bad on faceoffs though.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Your point has quite a bit of merit no doubt. I'm going to throw this out there as well.

What about the "Panarin Effect" who quite possibly is the most skilled player who has ever put on a Ranger sweater EVER and yes and I know we had some guy named Jagr once upon a time but you get the point, has filtered thru the entire lineup and due to the Breadman's presence, Kreider now is facing less pressure 5 on 5 from the opposition and on the PP he's fully taking advantage of all the scoring opportunities Panarin presents to him.

I'm just throwing it out there that maybe just maybe the Kreider we have seen the past 3 months since his shitty start to the season might not be a fluke....just sayin!.

Call me nuts but I got a very strong hunch that if he goes to Colorado for example and plays with MacKinnon who like Panarin effects their entire lineup and let's say he plays with MacK both 5 on 5 and on their #1 PP unit, it wouldn't shock me in the least if Kreider becomes a 70 point guy and providing all the other intangibles he does for us currently and has his entire career here.

You can't discount this Panarin factor is all I'm saying and you have to believe Gorton and JD see this as well which is why this has to be the most difficult decision Gorton has faced in his entire tenor as GM here.

If it's me and go ahead and flame me I don't give a shit but I do whatever I can to keep Kreider here and see about trading another piece or two like a Buch, Fast and possibly buying out Hank so we can afford him withought screwing with our cap situation.

I really don't want to watch Kreider doing what he's been doing the past 3 months for us with some other team for the next 4-5 years...I just don't!!

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
What about the "Panarin Effect" who quite possibly is the most skilled player who has ever put on a Ranger sweater EVER and yes and I know we had some guy named Jagr once upon a time but you get the point, has filtered thru the entire lineup and due to the Breadman's presence, Kreider now is facing less pressure 5 on 5 from the opposition and on the PP he's fully taking advantage of all the scoring opportunities Panarin presents to him.
You know well I have been touting the Panarin effect also. How this one guy has improved all 3 scoring lines. So I totally agree, that Kreider has had more opportunities. But he has also picked up the slack from Panarin's not so fantastic play of late. It's no wonder Panarin isn't scoring like he was earlier. He is turning the puck over with much more frequency lately. There were many games earlier in the year, he had no turnovers whatsoever. So he went from simply fantastic to just playing well. And now the Zibad line is carrying the load. And a lot of that has to do with Kreids catching fire.

I too would love him to stay, but it just doesn't seem reasonable on any level. Not with his possible contract or on how many other players we would need to sacrifice to keep him. We are not deep on the wings to have a firesale of players to keep Kreider.

I hope he gets to play the back to back this weekend.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Teams have won Cups without McDavid, Matthews, Marner, MacKinnon, Thornton, Karlson, Tavares too. What’s your point?

Well, I am not claiming we need those players. Someone saying we should keep Kreider because we "don't have another Kreider" sounds like that person thinks we need Kreider to win. We don't. The Rangers can win without Kreider.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Kreider is still a support player though, he can't carry a line by himself. I hope Gorton doesn't wait until the last minute to make a trade, because by that time most teams interested would have made their moves.

Bingo - and that’s the key to the cap IMO. The high dollars go to the top players. Paying too many within 35-40% of the top players handcuff you b/c the NHL cap is not that high.

Agree, would be nice if this trade didn’t come down to the last hour.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
5 x 8.5 ? too much?
To be fair, I have no idea what salary the team can truly afford. I’m not the Rangers number-cruncher. And I’m sure they have few number crunchers. But my sense is 8.5 x 4 but after 4 years the other number drops fast. 7.5 x 5? Something like that?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Well, I am not claiming we need those players. Someone saying we should keep Kreider because we "don't have another Kreider" sounds like that person thinks we need Kreider to win. We don't. The Rangers can win without Kreider.

They don’t. He’s going to be a really tough guy to replace with all he brings to a lineup. You disagree? And they look awful when he’s not in the lineup.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
The top line looks pretty good right now. If they could sign Kreider for a fair deal to both sides I think they need to seriously think about it.. If they get a #1 for him it will be a late first round pick.
Can you replace him with a pick in the mid to upper 20's?

I'm not sure who they have in the pipeline to replace him but Panarin also needs some help on the second line.
They'll be drafting in the teens most likely.

Reactions: Maximus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad