Player Discussion Chris Kreider

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I really hope it's just that the combo doesn't work anymore, which I could see.

That would mean we don't have an absolute corpse for the next six years.

Then again, KZB hasn't been great since early in that 18-19 season, so either way, Quinn is a moron.

I mean, I don't doubt that Kreider may already be declining, but I don't see a real degradation in his skating, his awareness, etc. I watch and I'm not sure what a) Kreider does for that line or b) what he should do for that line.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean, I don't doubt that Kreider may already be declining, but I don't see a real degradation in his skating, his awareness, etc. I watch and I'm not sure what a) Kreider does for that line or b) what he should do for that line.
Right, and does anybody ever know what they should do?

Our offensive scheme is just so blegh.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Right, and does anybody ever know what they should do?

Our offensive scheme is just so blegh.

I don't know if schemas matter too much in the O-zone, personally. I guess every team might have it's particular setups, but we definitely execute high cycles often--a kind of hybrid umbrella for 5v5 play. But yeah, whether that really works for us, or whether we have any other plays... I'd say not really.

My feeling is just that as bad as Kreider has been for the last monthish, Zibanejad has been pretty equally dismal all season--points be damned. Both of them are great players when they're bearing down, finishing checks (not the same as finishing hits), and playing the game with focus and purpose on every play. Zibanejad is so talented--he's big, strong, fast, and has a phenomenal shot--but he's got it in him to be such a better player all around when he's not playing like a puppy chasing every car that passes by (in this case, sprinting towards whatever fractional rush/pass/scoring chance he sees). Kreider, to my eyes, actually plays with that kind of focus, but it's mystery to me where Zibanejad and Buchnevich will be at any given time, so it doesn't surprise me to see him look like he's got no clue when he plays with them. Kreider's a lot of things, but a center has never been one of them, and I don't think Zibanejad really plays like a center--not the last couple seasons at least.

Reactions: Machinehead

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I kinda hope Gallant kicks his ass because watching him this year was absolutely painful.

I don't expect him to see an uptick in goal scoring or anything like that but I do want to see him go back to net driving and winning battles instead of hanging around waiting for one timers.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Why stop there?

Kreider will finally win the Calder, with Gallant's tutelage.
I agree

zENpsxG.jpg

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Kreider has the ability to be a 40 goal scorer but unfortunately he decides every year to take shifts and games off
Since when? This is just another in a long line of weird Chris Kreider narratives that completely skews the reality of the situation.

The guy’s scored .5GPG once since high school and he has the ability to be a 40 goal scorer?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
3 years from now, we will be here, talking about Kreider and some people will still hold out hope he magically "puts it together" and finally becomes a 30 goal scorer under the new coach who replaces Galant...

yup, and when he retires the same people will propose retiring his jersey to hang from the rafters.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Kreider has the ability to be a 40 goal scorer but unfortunately he decides every year to take shifts and games off
he really doesn't. he's fast and has a good shot. he doesn't have the offensive instincts or hands in tight to be any better.

Reactions: Off Sides

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

he really doesn't. he's fast and has a good shot. he doesn't have the offensive instincts or hands in tight to be any better.

weirdly i agree and disagree with both of these

I think if new staff can
(1) get Kreider to vanish less often (Brooks' 'has anyone seen Chris?')
especially more consistently as the imposing 'freight train' barreling down the wing and firing on net
and
(2) enforce an approach that gets him more frequently chances from slot or net-front,
his goal totals def could approach 40

But Raspewtin's comment also reflects what we have seen, he doesn't seem to have that 'natural scorer' talent

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kreider just needs to creat space with his size and speed and cause havoc in front of the net on the PP. he should be enabling his line mates to score as a primary objective. Goals scored directly by him should be considered a bonus.

this x100000.

the scoring will come and go as it always has. If he does 30+ one season it will be because the shooting luck fairy decides to bless him for a season.

the rest of his game should really be a non negotiable and should be there 95% of the time

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
CK needs to get in position using his speed without the puck. If he's carrying the puck anywhere aside from the back of the offensive net it's a problem. If no rush opportunity, then once a cycle is started he needs to park in front of the net and keep a dman or two occupied. He wasn't helpful along the boards last year for whatever reason so let him go right to the front of the net for a screen or quick pass from the cycle. If the D leave him open, get him the puck quickly and let him deflect it on net or take a quick shot and let him go for the rebound and cause havoc.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I’ve always felt that our fans have had unrealistic expectations for CK ever since the 2012 playoffs. Fans wanted him to be a 35-40 goal scorer and anything less was a disappointment in their eyes which I’ve always felt was unfair. He was the 19th pick in the draft and he had been a top 6 player for us for nearly a a decade, a good playoff performer, and one of if not the best players in front of the net in the nhl. I would sign up for that every day of the week twice on Sunday

Reactions: lilphildub

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I could buy him pulling off a career year where he scores 40 but that’s about it. Nothing in his career to date screams multiple time 40 goal scorer.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I could buy him pulling off a career year where he scores 40 but that’s about it. Nothing in his career to date screams multiple time 40 goal scorer.

Kreider has never shown anything that proves to me he can be anymore than he is today. Kreider, picked 19th overall, has had a good career and there's really no reason to be disappointed with what he has brought. He will never be on the level of Marchand though. I don't care who is behind the bench.

Kreider is what he is. We really shouldn't expect a 30-year old to all of a sudden elevate his game

Reactions: RickChartraw

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
Kreider has never shown anything that proves to me he can be anymore than he is today. Kreider, picked 19th overall, has had a good career and there's really no reason to be disappointed with what he has brought. He will never be on the level of Marchand though. I don't care who is behind the bench.

Kreider is what he is. We really shouldn't expect a 30-year old to all of a sudden elevate his game

was going to say this as I read the last few posts.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't need Kreider to elevate his game to an unrealistic level.

I just need him to be the player he was before last year.

Yes but a lot of people have been saying he "needs to be more consistent" for about 6 years now.

If Kreider was more consistent, he'd be making 10m a year.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yes but a lot of people have been saying he "needs to be more consistent" for about 6 years now.

If Kreider was more consistent, he'd be making 10m a year.
Consistent scoring? No. You’re right. That ship has sailed and I think we’re cool with that. But maybe there’s a coaching element here. rather than having him in a scorers spot, trying to fit in with skill guys, put him on the third line and tell him to be great along the boards and on the forecheck. Maybe he can be a difference maker on the third line and on special teams. I actually think he might be better reacting than in a set-play kind of situation.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Maybe Gallant can get him to throw his body around more, but Kreider's offense is what it is and won't suddenly improve at 30 years of age.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->