Player Discussion Chris Kreider

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Who knows what info is true. Hoping this isn’t a Gordon screwup.

Honestly, the decision to resign or trade him should have been made weeks or months ago. The money or length Kreider is looking for shouldn’t be blindsiding nor should the contract negotiating only started a few weeks ago.

This decision should have been made already. Maybe the trade is premature with a day to go but any contract negotiations should have been done a while ago IMO.

This news about contract and dollars would be a turnoff for me if I’m the team attempting to trade for him b/c it reinforces he’s a rental and my perception of top dollar might not be enough.

I guess when you have zero clue how markets and leverage work, you can just throw your hands up and blame team management. But in the real world, this was always going to come down to the wire.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
One more sleep before we find out.

giphy.gif

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Big long contracts fail or disappoint at a much higher rate than they succeed. Especially when a player is around 30. I feel far more comfortable staying away from big long term contracts.

some bad contracts just from the Rangers in the last few years:

Staal fail
Giradi fail bought out
Stepan would be a fail if we did not trade him
Skjei so far disappointment
Hagelin would have been fail if we did not trade him
Lundqvist disappointment
Smith fail and it was not a long contract
Shattenkirk huge fail
Truba disappointment
Trading way Miller because we did not want to pay him 5 mil big fail

Now the opposite:

Trading away Zucc, Hayes, McDonagh looks good because their production has dropped after new big contracts.

Only big success is Panarin
How can you call Lundqvist a fail and Panarin a success after less than a year. That’s completely disregarding all Lindqvist did in the early years of his contract while assuming Panarin’s last two years will be better than Hanks

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not for nothing, but regardless of whether CK gets moved, he has truly handled this season as a pro. He maybe was a bit un-focused for the first few weeks but basically he has been awesome and by all accounts a great teammate. Bravo.

Last edited:

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Not for nothing, but regardless of whether CK gets moved, he has truly handled this season as a pro. He maybe was a bit in-focused for the first few weeks but basically he has been awesome and by all accounts a great teammate. Bravo.
Agreed. A real professional. I think many forget that about the blood clot situation he had too and he came back early to help the team. No matter what happens tomorrow I hope people realize that he was a successful Ranger and a good guy

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I am preparing myself for a BIG let down here.

So not only will we not keep a guy that clearly makes the team a playoff contender, the return might be extremely disappointing.

Not Good.

We'll see but if that is the case, this could be a major screw up from Davidson and Gorton.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I am preparing myself for a BIG let down here.

So not only will we not keep a guy that clearly makes the team a playoff contender, the return might be extremely disappointing.

Not Good.

We'll see but if that is the case, this could be a major screw up from Davidson and Gorton.
If he’s gone, so are playoff hopes. I’m somewhat ashamed to admit that I felt like I fell down an elevator shaft when I read that a trade is all but certain.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Kreider seems like the highest IQ, non-typical jock type. Money is important, but he would be the guy to leave some on the table for happiness and comfort. Right?

I hope he doesn’t take this situation for granted. Then again, he doesn’t know anything but this organization...

I love 20, and he’s a quirky guy - no idea what he’s thinking...I thought he would take less to stay ... I have no clue now...

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kreider will regret this, IMO. Hope it works out for him but he’s in a fantastic spot to stay.
I do agree that this is a great spot for him on a team finally looking like it’s built to contend for a while. him theoretically taking a discount buys him a lot of rope here.
When he gets his big deal in Dallas or Colorado or Vegas, he’s going to be heavily scrutinized. He’ll do fine but it was a nice setup in NY. Less money but more of everything else.
Still going to miss him, if he goes. And will root for him in his new digs.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kreider seems like the highest IQ, non-typical jock type. Money is important, but he would be the guy to leave some on the table for happiness and comfort. Right?

I hope he doesn’t take this situation for granted. Then again, he doesn’t know anything but this organization...

I love 20, and he’s a quirky guy - no idea what he’s thinking...I thought he would take less to stay ... I have no clue now...
Me too. I kind of assumed this would end up in a win-win extension.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm not saying he should take less or shouldn't go get what he deserves and this isn't just limited to Chris Kreider - but, at what point does it just not matter anymore? I mean, 6 years 39.5M or 6 @ 42M... Those are huge numbers and you'd have to think other factors have to play a huge role in this - your kids, your significant other, where your family lives, what lifestyle you want, 4 seasons or summer all year, etc... This isn't just about the contract, I would hope. At least it wouldn't be for me. Panarin, Shattenkirk, took less because it was a fit for them. I guess we'll know in about 18 hours.

Reactions: EEL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->