Player Discussion Chris Kreider: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So it seems Kreider has been playing with some hamstring issues. I don't understand why the Rangers didn't pull what the Debbies have been doing this year and just shut him down?!

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
So it seems Kreider has been playing with some hamstring issues. I don't understand why the Rangers didn't pull what the Debbies have been doing this year and just shut him down?!
(source: https://nypost.com/2019/03/18/kreider-reveals-reason-he-has-been-so-invisible-for-the-rangers/ )

It sucks that he's injured, and that it's affecting his score-sheet. Is it like this everywhere in the league (playing through injuries)? Fast has basically not practiced the entire season. Should he even be playing? In a non-playoff season? The Shattenkirk precedent of playing through a serious lower-body injury and never returning to form is a scary thought.

Reactions: bl02

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I knew it. I ****ing knew it.

I said in an otherwise uneventful PGT that he didn't look right.

Hate that he is injured but it gives him a reason to why his play has fallen off and he has looked way off than just a typical slump. I also give him credit for playing through it.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Hate that he is injured but it gives him a reason to why his play has fallen off and he has looked way off than just a typical slump. I also give him credit for playing through it.

But, that would go against the narrative that he’s disappeared and checked out on the season. Couldn’t be that he’s taken his role as a leader seriously, right?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
But, that would go against the narrative that he’s disappeared and checked out on the season. Couldn’t be that he’s taken his role as a leader seriously, right?

LOL, you know how I feel. I want Kreider extended, they can’t keep trading everyone away, need to build around some players, feel he is one of those players, and Mika.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
LOL, you know how I feel. I want Kreider extended, they can’t keep trading everyone away, need to build around some players, feel he is one of those players, and Mika.

My preference is to keep him. But, if the Rangers are moving on, so be it. Just make a decision, don’t let it linger, and get a good deal if that’s the path you’re choosing. I’m tired of the hot takes and misrepresentations.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My preference is to keep him. But, if the Rangers are moving on, so be it. Just make a decision, don’t let it linger, and get a good deal if that’s the path you’re choosing. I’m tired of the hot takes and misrepresentations.

I see him signing a team friendly deal. Cap is going up, so becomes less of a risk, and the passion he shows on and off the ice, you have to keep that.

Reactions: jas

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Really saw a difference in CK's board battles lately, where he really potentially could bring that extra level to the possession game, less so in his up and down straightaway speed. He went back to his rookie-esque fly by where he tries to tap the puck along a board scrum to escape, without physically engaging. He's way more effective getting/manhandling possession and quick starts and stops to get a few feet to breathe. Glad to know there was a physical cause for it. Is he shut down for the season officially?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

If they let him play injured and run the risk of further injuring himself, I don't think their underlying plan is/was to trade him at any point. Like you and others said, it could have been to set an example for the younger players.

Reactions: jas

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Quinn is absolutely slamming Kreider over the f***ing head with defensive zone starts this year.

It's been two games and I don't think they matter that much. I just wanna know why.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Quinn is absolutely slamming Kreider over the ****ing head with defensive zone starts this year.

It's been two games and I don't think they matter that much. I just wanna know why.

Strome has a 70.4 FO%. Maybe Quinn is confident their line will get the puck and get out of their own zone.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Strome has a 70.4 FO%. Maybe Quinn is confident their line will get the puck and get out of their own zone.
Well f***in no dice on that so far :laugh:

I'm just curious as to the thought process because this could go multiple ways.

The Rangers finally realized Kreider is a very plus defender at even strength? Happy Machinehead.

The Rangers think Strome is good at defense for some reason and it's a by-product of Kreider being chained to him? Sad Machinehead.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well ****in no dice on that so far :laugh:

The Rangers finally realized Kreider is a very plus defender at even strength? Happy Machinehead.

The Rangers think Strome is good at defense for some reason and it's a by-product of Kreider being chained to him? Sad Machinehead.

I'm scared to see Pissed off Machinehead. :eek:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Well ****in no dice on that so far :laugh:

I mean more than anything it's probably just variance. 4 offensive zone starts, 12 in the dzone, that % will go way up as the volume increases. Probably mostly bad luck with his line rotation being up when there's a defensive zone faceoff and secondary reason being he plays with the team's best faceoff man and might want Strome over Howden/Andersson getting beat clean for a scoring chance in certain situations.

That said, it's pretty ironic that his advanced stats are bad now that his zone starts have been way down to start thus far. I still think there might be more of a relationship there than most realize.

Reactions: Machinehead

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He's injured? Well, that explains why he plays like dog poo. But, even when he's healthy, his shot is mediocre, while his passing and vision isn't that great either. He's good at cycling, screening and creating room for others. He can also rush past a tired D-man and try his only deking move, which is to slide the puck along the ice, into the pad at the far post. It doesn't work that often.

He has honestly not evolved much at all since he entered the league, IMO. Deflections and screening the goalie, what else? Maybe that's why he has become more of a garbage collector around the crease, than a star power forward. Not that there's anything wrong with being the garbage collector, that's an important role in hockey if you want to win hockey games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->