Injury Report: Chris Kreider: Fractured Foot (Update 03/04/20: 4-6 Weeks)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
His cartilage reparative process must be finished up. Thats like a week faster than normal, too.

Bone is still broken, but they must be confident that the set is strong and will stay in place even while moving around.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
1829921-719628725.jpg

This guy returned after 86 days, Andre Gomes is kind of the soccer version of Kreider...

But on a serious note, I’ve heard that there has been and will be a lot of progress made on the sports rehabilitation front. They’ve said that many procedures haven’t been designed to optimize a speedy return, and that with the best technology and methods available, they will be able to speed up the recovery of some injuries enormously. Shoulders and knees is much harder to do something about of course, but many other injuries are to a large extent about the damage they make when they perform the surgery and the time it takes to recover from being completely inactive for a few weeks when the biggest trauma is healed. If you can perform the surgery without making any damage and the athlete can start to train immediately, very few injuries will take more time than a month to “heal”.

Reactions: BBKers

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
1829921-719628725.jpg

This guy returned after 86 days, Andre Gomes is kind of the soccer version of Kreider...

But on a serious note, I’ve heard that there has been and will be a lot of progress made on the sports rehabilitation front. They’ve said that many procedures haven’t been designed to optimize a speedy return, and that with the best technology and methods available, they will be able to speed up the recovery of some injuries enormously. Shoulders and knees is much harder to do something about of course, but many other injuries are to a large extent about the damage they make when they perform the surgery and the time it takes to recover from being completely inactive for a few weeks when the biggest trauma is healed. If you can perform the surgery without making any damage and the athlete can start to train immediately, very few injuries will take more time than a month to “heal”.
DUDE.

TRIGGER WARNING NEXT TIME.

Holy f***. I can't unsee that.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Heart of a tiger. Body of a panzer. Speed of a rocket. He is The Captain.
. Good Post. That’s why I always laugh when some fans say he is “lazy” or takes games off. He did come back much earlier after the blood clot to help the team despite the fact that we were basically tanking at that point. Once again he will come back earlier than expected most likely to help the team

Reactions: CasusBelli

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am guessing he broke his left foot. He is not putting any weight or stress on it.

just because he can stand on it, don't think it is ready for prime time.
He definitely isn't putting it through any kind of hard workout, but the point remains, he's out there. If he was in excruciating pain or at serious risk of making the injury worse, I highly doubt he'd be out there at all (particularly given the initial timeline).

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He definitely isn't putting it through any kind of hard workout, but the point remains, he's out there. If he was in excruciating pain or at serious risk of making the injury worse, I highly doubt he'd be out there at all (particularly given the initial timeline).
Leading by example. The guy is a trooper. He already got his payday. Does that change anything? Absolutely not. That’s a winner. That’s the kind of contagious attitude that builds a winner.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
1829921-719628725.jpg

Fractured foot and broken ankle ain’t the same thing though. I assume the latter is harder to come back from than the former since it will result in less flexibility at the outset and require more physical therapy.

Also, did Kreider have surgery on his foot? He may not have. I don’t know.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fractured foot and broken ankle ain’t the same thing though. I assume the latter is harder to come back from than the former since it will result in less flexibility at the outset and require more physical therapy.

No one reported that he did. And I would doubt it--I've broken my foot twice, once pretty good, as well as a number of toes. I was always told unless it's some massive break or a break in a bunch of different places, they don't usually do surgery. It's usually just rest, icing it down, some exercises, etc., until it has healed.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
No surgery. It was reported last week which puts him on the 4-6 timeframe from the injury to return. Based on other armchair docs he so far seems about a week ahead of schedule. This can of course change but good to see him in gear. Means his conditioning shouldn't be too bad as he ramps up his activity in the next 2 weeks.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My gut tells me he’s playing the final 4 or 5 games of the season if we’re still in the race.

Sounds about right and since he is already skating that’s a very good sign . With Igor back I’m optimistic we can sneak into a WC spot.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not to minimize the situation, but if indeed the NHL resumes the regular season, Kreider's timing might be most advantageous.

Yes, other players for other teams would gain the same benefit, but I'd like the Rangers chances to be honest with you.

Reactions: RGY and slater417

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Not to minimize the situation, but if indeed the NHL resumes the regular season, Kreider's timing might be most advantageous.

Yes, other players for other teams would gain the same benefit, but I'd like the Rangers chances to be honest with you.
But don't Columbus and Carolina also have alot more injuries? Wouldn't they see better returns?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
But don't Columbus and Carolina also have alot more injuries? Wouldn't they see better returns?
Columbus has lost Jones and Bjorkstrand for the season. Atkinson was just cleared but was having a mediocre year when he was healthy.

I dont know about Carolina’s situation. I know the lost Pesce for the year. I doubt it helps with Hamilton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad