Rumor: Chris Kreider Arb numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Remember, the arbitration would only be for 1-2 years of RFA. Palmieri's deal bought out 2 years of RFA and then another 3 years of UFA, which traditionally costs more. For just RFA years alone, Palmieri would have gotten way less.

I imagine if Kreider and his agent are valuing his remaining RFA years at around 4.75M, their long-term number for UFA years would be ~5.5M.

He did get less for those years. His salaries are:

It's interesting that the final year is the lowest. I'm surprised that Palmieri agreed to that.

Johansson is a similar case, although he was only 1 year away from UFA. He got:

He has slightly better numbers than Kreider over the last 3 years and Palmieri just had a 30 goal, 57 point season, so I would expect Kreider to end up a little lower than either of them on a 4 year deal. Maybe something like this:

4.5 AAV

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Looks like what I would offer as a GM, and what I would want as a player. Shouldn't be any hold ups really, I highly doubt the sides are too far off. I have to think even if Kreider signed an offersheet for 4.5-5m that NYR would match it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's interesting that the final year is the lowest. I'm surprised that Palmieri agreed to that.

They probably agreed on the total years/payment, then as part of the haggling some of the 5th year $'s were shifted into earlier years, so Palmeri gets paid sooner.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Kreider elected arbitration, so doubtful the Rangers elected a two year term which would leave him a UFA at the end of it

So it's likely a 1 year term being arbitrated if it comes down to it.

Finding comparable players who have only a 1 year term in their 2nd to last RFA year, or even their last RFA year, I have not been able to find any.

That doesn't really matter. They can use players like Johansson and Palmieri as comparables. They just look at the first year of the deal, which pays them 4.25 and 4.5, respectively.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Looks like what I would offer as a GM, and what I would want as a player. Shouldn't be any hold ups really, I highly doubt the sides are too far off. I have to think even if Kreider signed an offersheet for 4.5-5m that NYR would match it.

He can't sign an offer sheet since he elected arbitration.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
No no no. The Brassard trade shows a desire to get younger.

And Shattenkirk doesn't solve the plethora of problems we have. And just will take up way too much cap space. Why not just re-sign Yandle instead??

I wouldn't even give up a 1st for Shattenkirk. That's how much we don't need him.

I'd sooner trade Zuccarello, to be honest.

How much we don't need Shattenkirk is a lot less than how much we do need him. Sure maybe i'd rather sign him in FA but I would jump on the chance to get him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He did get less for those years. His salaries are:

Johansson is a similar case, although he was only 1 year away from UFA. He got:

He has slightly better numbers than Kreider over the last 3 years and Palmieri just had a 30 goal, 57 point season, so I would expect Kreider to end up a little lower than either of them on a 4 year deal. Maybe something like this:

4.5 AAV

That final year is the 2020-21 season, which may include a work stoppage, so if a player wants the most salary out of the whole contract, and they feel there may be a work stoppage that year, players are better off being paid less that year and more in the others, or even better getting the money in bonus for that year which would be paid out before any work stoppage.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He can't sign an offer sheet since he elected arbitration.

Sorry, I meant that hypothetically. What I'm saying is that I don't forsee any problems coming from this, because Kreider's ask is definitely reasonable. Even if the arbitrator sides 100% with Kreider (unlikely ofc), I don't think the Rangers would have any problem with it. If Kreider had signed an offersheet for 5 million, the Rangers would've paid it.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I think Kreider undervalues his own bargaining power.

Agree. Was shocked he didnt ask for over 5. Will be happy with anything thats 4,3 or lower.

With that said, it would be just wrong to see Kreider get more than Zuccarello considering he was a ufa, much better offensive numbers, and has a better twoway game etc than Kreider. I know Zucc took a huge hometown discount and could easily have gotten 5-6 as a free agent. Hopefully Kreider takes something around 4,2-4,3 for 6 years.

He is extremely inconsistent but he is closer to 5 mill than a Shaw contract imo. Anything under 4,5 is ok, under 4,3 is great.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
No no no. The Brassard trade shows a desire to get younger.

And Shattenkirk doesn't solve the plethora of problems we have. And just will take up way too much cap space. Why not just re-sign Yandle instead??

I wouldn't even give up a 1st for Shattenkirk. That's how much we don't need him.

I'd sooner trade Zuccarello, to be honest.

No reason to give up anything for Shatty when he is a ufa next season. Atleast not a top line winger or a high pick.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Recent signing comparable to Kreider are ...

Marcus Johansson age 25, 3 years @ 4.583m
Alex Killorn age 26, 7 years @ 4.45m
Kyle Palmieri age 26, 5 years @ 4.65m

Krieder fits right in there with these 3. When Palmieri signed, some thought he could have gotten more. Seems like this year's contracts are going in the favor of clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->