Injury Report: Chris Kelly Out 6-8 Months w/Left Femur Fracture

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I never understood why fans always gave him crap,
I always liked the guy.
we prob beat mtl in 2014 and win the cup if he wasn't injured

not his fault he was offered that contract.
they will miss him a lot.

its interesting because I'm over 50 and I have friends and neighbors who I have been around 40 years or 4 years who are hockey fans, players, coaches, kids play and its ZERO giving Kelly crap. I guess birds of a feather do flock together because thank God for HF Boards and Felger and Mazz callers because I would never have known Kelly sucked so bad- also, I got to 30ish regular season games, all playoffs, all exhibitions and rarely if ever hear Kelly getting **** on.

I think its an HF thing

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Hated his contract, but not his fault he was offered it. His PK abilities and leadership will be missed. If the Bruins were and a cup contender this would hurt even more, but I'm hopefully maybe Koko can get an actual look at this time. Ha, imagine the Bruins actually might actually need to trade for a plugger who can play all the zones be defensively responsible, if we are in it a the trade deadline. At 70% the penalty kill is awful.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Really sucks what happened to him last night.

the only good I see coming from this is we wont have to read how his contract sucks and is killing the team anymore this year.

everything else about the injury just sucks.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
He is going to be missed a whole lot more than some people will ever give him credit for. Huge blow to the team, a key glue guy.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Yikes! Poor Kels. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

This is a huge blow to the team both on and off the ice.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Poor guy, rarely a break from the fans, people overall had really started to a appreciate him a bit this year IMHO and ... :cry:

I was disgusted with a fan in the section I was sitting in last night that was "glad he got hurt".

I almost flipped out on him, but figured it wouldn't have done much good.

My suspicions were confirmed later in the game when he stated that he'd wished the Bruins would have held onto Jones and dealt Rask.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
its interesting because I'm over 50 and I have friends and neighbors who I have been around 40 years or 4 years who are hockey fans, players, coaches, kids play and its ZERO giving Kelly crap. I guess birds of a feather do flock together because thank God for HF Boards and Felger and Mazz callers because I would never have known Kelly sucked so bad- also, I got to 30ish regular season games, all playoffs, all exhibitions and rarely if ever hear Kelly getting **** on.

I think its an HF thing

I really do believe it is a played-the-game vs. didn't-play-the-game thing. Anyone who played the game knows how valuable a Kelly is. As Pie said in another thread, PP for the show, PK for the dough; but the talent, grit, discipline, and smarts to play the PK or match up against a scoring line is completely lost on most people. There is something to be said for "elite talent", but truly balanced teams have 1 or 2 swiss army knife type players who are just as important, and Kelly is one of the best. He just doesn't get the credit. In fact, I truly believe if some fans didn't have the "200 foot game" spoon fed to them by announcers, Bergeron would need to score 40 to get the love he currently does.

And by the way, after I got home from the game my older brother (NEJHL all-star, two Beanpots for NU) called to tell me the diagnosis for Kelly, and said "They are going to miss him in ways nobody knows."

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I hope he stays with the team, travels with them and spends time, he is clearly an important player in the lockerroom and would be nice to have him there during the games.
It would also probably motivate him more.

We just called up Koko.

Ugh, well it's sink or swim time for him.

Good post...unfortunately yes Talbot will be called up. I see him good with guys off the ice but on the ice....he is nowhere near Kelly replacement material.

Exactly.

we will be hearing Kelly had surgery all went well and he will be around the team and helping out as soon as he can move around - my take

I hope he is involved and around the team- Kelly was known for the guy who always said the right thing at the right time be it bear down or a joke to lighten things up

they played last two periods like their dog had died

Yeah, that was the feeling I got just watching them.
BTW: Felger *****!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My God I thought he'd blown his ACL and MCL. It was his femur? :amazed:

My best wishes to Chris for a complete recovery. The Bruins are going to miss his heart, leadership and versatility very badly. This could be another Johnny Boychuk gutting :(

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
You don't know what you got till it's gone.

I disliked Kelly's deal because it seemed to be getting in the way of making deals to contend (when we were good).

But the past 2 years he's been pretty solid in his role and playing his ass off as always. His work ethic and defense will be missed, he doesnt alot of the small things very well. I hope it's not a career ender. I also hope he sticks around the team at some point to be a locker room guy and cheer the boys on

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Kelly will be a huge loss to this team…more off ice than on it. He is a great leader and will absolutely be missed in the locker room that is in need of more vocal leaders like Kelly. Best wishes for a full recovery.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Kelly took a lot of heat on here for his contract, but that was on Chiarelli, not him.
He played a big part on us winning in 2011.
All the best Chris, wherever you may roam.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I think its an HF thing

I think you're right. To a lesser extent PJ Axelsson got the same treatment here except by people who actually paid attention to his game.

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
Kelly was a warrior and vastly underrated here because of his contract. His ability to play different positions up and down the lineup and kill penalties was very valuable to the team. Tough loss for sure. Hope Chris has a speedy recovery.

I really hope they don't think Talbot can replace him. Let Talbot be the 13th forward, but let Koko and Randell get some extended playing time.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Kelly was a warrior and vastly underrated here because of his contract. His ability to play different positions up and down the lineup and kill penalties was very valuable to the team. Tough loss for sure. Hope Chris has a speedy recovery.

I really hope they don't think Talbot can replace him. Let Talbot be the 13th forward, but let Koko and Randell get some extended playing time.

I think that was true til last year when he scored 7 goals in 80 games and 3 in the last 40. I'd call him a 4th liner,fill in and PK guy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My God I thought he'd blown his ACL and MCL. It was his femur? :amazed:

My best wishes to Chris for a complete recovery. The Bruins are going to miss his heart, leadership and versatility very badly. This could be another Johnny Boychuk gutting :(

I wish it was his ACL as bad as that sounds.

Two things I want out of this- great report everything went well, and he spends lots of time with the team even just needling them and making fun of Marchand's nose or pointing out things to Spooner that will make him a better player (ask Ryan how much Kelly means to him on all the little things and tendencies other players may have; had Kelly not been hurt I bet he would have taken most of those faceoffs against Fiddler, or told Ryan what he was going to do and how to counter it)....Belichick always says its attention to detail and knowing your opponent- strengths and weaknesses and what they like and don't like to do and adjusting to them. You will see Kelly as an assistant coach some day or a head coach in AHL to start. Really rooted hard for this guy- not as hard as Ally:laugh: but maybe 33% as much- which is a lot:)

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

I think its an HF thing

That's really nice to read. I've always liked kelly and never really minded the contract.

hopefully he fully recovers and is back on the ice next year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think you're right. To a lesser extent PJ Axelsson got the same treatment here except by people who actually paid attention to his game.

ooooh, I love PJ:handclap:

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
I think that was true til last year when he scored 7 goals in 80 games and 3 in the last 40. I'd call him a 4th liner,fill in and PK guy.

I agree about the offensive production. That 20 goal year was a fluke and part of the reason for his being hated on here and for the contract he was given, but his ability to fill in was big. He'd get moved up to the third and that line would play very well.

yohan1212

Mar 31, 2007
Unfortunately, that's exactly what I thought as well. I hope it's not the case and it was just a freak injury.

It was just a freak injury. I think his time table to be ready for contact will be around training camp. I had the same injury as a teenager, and it took me a good 8 months to get back on the ice. Once it's healed the worst part is rehabbing it. I wasn't able to even bend my knee once the cast came off. 2-3 months of physical therapy will be required to get that thing bending again.at 35, I see it being longer than 8 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad