Injury Report: Chris Kelly Out 6-8 Months w/Left Femur Fracture

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Terrible way for Kelly to go out. Hopefully the Bruins are still playing in May month and we'll see him again in a B's uniform.

Pray this isn't the end of his career. 1st class guy by all accounts.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Very unfortunate. He took a lot of heat from fans but if not for his contract, he'd probably be a favourite for his effort and consistency. Bruins will miss him.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
The Kelly era is over in Boston. Looking back on it, we were frustrated with the contract that Chia richly gave him and the large role he was given but he is a very useful utility player that played with a ton of heart.

I chose to remember the 2011 version that was an extremely fast and useful player.

Respect to the cage! Thanks for the memories, leadership and effort.

Can't be said any better than this.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Very unfortunate. He took a lot of heat from fans but if not for his contract, he'd probably be a favourite for his effort and consistency. Bruins will miss him.

Thats exactly it Derek and a damn shame. A reasonable person would seperate the contract from what he meant to this club off and on the ice.

He will be missed on both fronts.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
a shame. solid utility player that was way overpaid. of course, his salary didn't matter this year and i guess it was more enjoyable to watch him for that reason. get better, CK23. i guess this means the max talbot era begins again, for the 9th time.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

In retrospect they could've done a lot worse with $3 million dollars.
Here's hoping that he returns but doubt it. I can see him being a hell of a great coach some day though.:yo:
It's going to be tough to find someone cut from the same clothe as that guy.
This will probably give them incentive to re-sign Louie.
Another thought: Maybe they give Paille a call since he was still a great PKer.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Undoubtedly the end of Kelly's tenure here in Boston. Really hope it isn't, but there's a good chance that's the end of Kelly in the NHL. Hopefully he can make a miraculous recovery but breaking a femur is not easy... Takes so long to heal. He'll never be able to play at this speed again. :(

I've given him a lot of crap but he's a total character guy and we wouldn't have a Cup without him. You can tell all the guys on the team love him. I hope he sticks around. Big hit to our PK, bigger hit to the team. Even if he doesn't have the most skill, losing leaders like him means a lot. When they're down a goal or two, they'll miss him. Chara, Bergy, and Krejci are all pretty quiet leaders. Kelly seemed like one of the more vocal ones.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
This sucks. Kelly has been a very useful player. A key component to the Bruins success in 2011 and 2013. His contract was tough to take during the cap crunch but that's not his fault. Excellent Bruin.
The Bruins are going to be in trouble without Kelly this year. My take is that every time Krejci gets leaned on to do PK his scoring and overall game suffers. There will be a trickle down effect with this injury if Kelly is not replaced. The Bruins have no reliable NHL center after Bergeron and Krejci--especially on the defensive side of the puck. Really they are down to only Bergeron in that regard. Not going to hold any tight late game leads unless Kemp suddenly steps it up a few notches.

jdz

May 22, 2013
That would be awesome if the Bruins gave him a front office/coaching position

This. I think he'd be great in the locker room still.

Does anyone know what happens to his cap hit/how much cap the bruins would have to get a replacement?

I'm not happy with a Talbot stopgap for any long period of time.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Pretty big blow for a team that was a marginal playoff team to begin with. Losing Kelly is going to make things that much tougher. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone can step in and elevate their game defensively to compensate for losing Kelly.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Awful. He's a good dude. Good leader. His contract was terrible and I wanted him gone but absolutely not like this. Hopefully he heals fast and can come back next season. I'd hate for this to be the end of his career.

Rest up Kells. Get back to us soon.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I missed the game and just came online to the news. The Bruins are going to miss having Kelly out there. Every team needs players like him and while I never liked his contract, I'll miss his solid play on the ice. Get well soon cage.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Huge Loss for the team.

Heart and Soul guy who has been one of the best 3rd/4th line guys in the league during his time in Boston. You simply can't replace a guy like Kelly. Definitely makes it harder for this team to make postseason, and much harder to succeed in postseason without him

Just devastating, hopefully he will heal cleanly and be able to continue his career

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That's a horrible way to go out.

Thank you for the hard work and giving it your all, Chris. You'll always be remembered for your vital part in both Cup runs.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
hopefully a speedy recovery.
hopefully nothing worse.
my friend broke his femur like that (while in a rundown playing baseball) and it turned out to be cancer.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Tough break. He rarely deserved the vitriol he received around here. Good leader, stabilizing presence on the bottom 6, solid PK.

What a strange injury. Looks like maybe the fracture was just above the knee? He seemed to be holding his glove there, when he was down on the ice. You would have expected maybe the knee ligaments to get torn on that kind of fall, but I'm guessing the ligaments held, so the femur fractured?

Did he have surgery on that knee before?

Kind of the way I broke a bone on the outside of my foot a few years ago playing ball hockey. Much less severe, of course. I went over on my ankle, thought it was a sprain, but it turned out instead of the tendon tearing, it held to the bone, and pulled the bone away.

Get well soon Kells!

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Kelly took a hard slap to the inside of the knee Saturday night. It may have been a factor in tonight's injury.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I can't help but wonder if the shot he blocked in Tampa caused the initial injury and when he hit the digit in the ice there was just enough force to break the bone.

Really hop it isn't anything worse.

Get well soon Cage!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad