Injury Report: Chris Kelly - Broken left tibia

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by smithformeragent, Mar 12, 2013.

1. TMac21

TMac21 Save us Sweeney

That sucks.

2. KCBRUIN

KCBRUIN Tuukka Time

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.... :shakehead

3. Boston Bruno

Boston Bruno Mostly not serious input..

Hugenot
    One whom is effective on the faceoff.

4. GordonHowe

GordonHowe Registered User

Well, without casting asparugus :) , the third line had been playing poorly from the beginning of the season. T

his wasn't Chris Bourque's fault, but in conjunction with RP & CK, the lack of size hurt everyone involved. Did we notice the result was markedly better with the insertion of Jordan Caron?

I say keep Jay Pandolfo (yes, gentlemen, he may be old & less than "fleet of foot," as Derek might say, but he's been there, and he knows how to conserve his energy & use his noodle). Keep Caron, give Spooner a try, watch for Soderberg, and go get some Major Major.

I thought perhaps the Bruins could plug & play ala Chris Kelly & Rich P., but given the former's injury, and extant needs, perhaps something big is needed.

And yet, like a dope, I want to keep all of our guys, and get something good for free.

Again: fan is short for fanatic. ;):cry::nod::yo::laugh::)

5. BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad Registered User

He wasn't scoring. Its a loss...but its not a bad guy to lose. I think we lost someone who couldn't score so if we replace him with someone who can and plug in a good PK killer in his spot until the second round of the playoffs we'll be fine.

Spooner and Soderberg should audition. THey cost nothing. If you want someone definitely better than Kelly who is sound defensively like Kelly and scores its going to cost Hamilton/Marchand/Krejci etc.

View this as us (correctly?) walking away from Kelly last summer b/c we knew he wouldn't be able to score in a brothel...so we get the chance to get a 3rd line center who can do something offensively...then get Kelly back to boost the bottom 6 forwards second round.

6. gobruins14

gobruins14 Registered User

7. BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad Registered User

Horton likely won't waive his NTC. He may not resign with Anaheim.

Peverley, Caron, and a 1st? That is something PC can give up and Anaheim can move him for. If Perry gets moved it will be for a return similar to that.

Perry might walk. You offer him 1 mil more than Chara makes, he says no, then what? I don't mind taking the risk if you think he signs but he might not.

We almost got Hossa back when we sucked (and he wanted to play for the best team.) We might offer up a decent package for Perry but I think another team beats what PC is willing to give up.

(PC will offer our 1st Caron and 2 good prospects and try and win with Perry and Horton but he probably keeps Spooner and Peverley in the end.)

8. 13Hockey

13Hockey Go B's

I think hell be back for round 1

9. Strafer

Strafer DAS BROONS Sponsor

Trade Association President: Business owner
    Besides Soderberg I'd like to see a few players from Providence here for an audition especially Spooner. Does anyone know the status of Jordan Knight?

10. Shaun

Shaun Registered User

I think he's releasing a new album soon. :sarcasm:

11. TJF

TJF Registered User

Home Page:
    Don't know about a new album but my wife and sister are going to a new kids on the block, 98 degrees and boys 2 men concert next month. So I would assume that Jordan is currently touring with other old boy bands.

12. PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

If we had to lose someone to injury, I guess I'd be glad it's Kelly.

Defensively elite, but borderline below-average/average offensively. Overpaid and has a NTC; if the Bruins succeed they have him as an option as a buyout this offseason.

On the otherhand, his game does mean a lot come playoffs with that defense and faceoff ability.

With all that said as well, sucks for Kelly and it does hurt the team at some level. I am not sure how much yet, but if our 3rd line is going to have to suffer with Pandolfo on it... quite a big loss.

13. Bruins Stooge

Bruins Stooge Spread Out

Firefighter
    I believe he's been injured, not sure If back yet.

Spooner is definitely going to get his shot and I'm looking forward to it. Go get em' kid.

Also agree with Jaffe's tweet, PC i have to imagine is strongly searching for a trading partner.

14. BudMovin*

BudMovin* Guest

Bones almost always heal 100%... At least this isn't a ligament, muscle or tendon tear. Sucks that we lose the cage for awhile, but it could be worse.

Don't worry, the Yeti will save us.

15. ReggieMoto

ReggieMoto Registered User

From Greg Wyshynski writing for Puck Daddy this morning:

Out for 6-8 weeks to heal, then 6 weeks for rehab: ~3 months, maybe a couple weeks more.

16. Alicat

Alicat HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

When it comes to injuries, Haggs is the last one I'd listen to given his track record. Krejci and Thornton ring a bell?

17. ReggieMoto

ReggieMoto Registered User

While I agree with your sentiment in general, especially as it relates to this particular reporter, it is typical for a bone to require 6-8 weeks to heal. And the rehab to overcome the atrophy that will set in as the bone heals will require something like 6 weeks in length. Even if he comes back early he won't really be in playoff shape.

Best to just accept he is done for the season and move on to plan B, whatever that is.

18. Latrappe

Latrappe If Cam allow it

Agreed and i'm not sure that it's gonna be fair to ask Kelly to perform in the playoffs after a long hiatus like this. Not sure how Chiarelli will solve that problem but if he plan to try a young kid from Pro, he better start the experiment now.

19. TCL40

TCL40 Registered User

Chia will try-problem is finding somebody to work a deal with. In the shortened season every team thinks they are one win streak away from making the playoffs.

Chia is going to have to give up something he doesn't want to give up to do it.

As for trading Horton-I think they could get him to waive his NTC but I don't think they will do it.

As for Kelly-he was junk offensively this year, but he was one of our best PKers and reliable at the dot-two things this team depends on (especially since they seem to average about 5 penalties a game).

20. Alicat

Alicat HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

We don't know the severity of the break so while we need to move to plan B we still need to leave the door open to a possible return at some point this season. The word broken is overused and can mean so many different things.

Edit: SI says fracture which is very different than broken. Getting into semantics but it is something that needs to be considered. http://nhl.si.com/2013/03/13/chirs-kelly-injured-with-fractured-tibia/

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  21. whatsbruin

whatsbruin Registered User

Home Page:
    Knowing how Boston works, their bring up Trent Whitfield.

22. Shoebottom

Shoebottom Bruin exiting lair

Transporter
    This really sucks. Kelly was looking like he was about to turn the corner offensively when he got injured. His f/o and pk will be sorely missed. Guy worked real hard even if he didn't show up on the stat sheet. Its up to Chia to find a fix now.

23. twominute

twominute Registered User

I had a fractured tibia recently it wasn't too bad, soft walking cast and had it off in maybe three weeks. Hopefully he'll be fully healed in about 6 weeks...

24. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    Yep, far too many here hammering him for his play (and yes, he wasn`t his best, not too many B`s have been by the way). I don`t have the time nor play the game of going back and tracking down those who wanted him gone or replaced but it would be interesting to read how many here, over time in his absence, will be on here hammering the drum about just how important he is to this team.

Was he struggling? Sure, but the guy is a vet who we saw play clutch hockey when this team needed him to, and to think he`s easily replaceable isn`t true.

This is a heckuva void left, and as much as I`m looking forward to the Spooner era whenever it begins, to have that start in a 3rd line role, unless he`s playing up the middle, isn`t the way I want(ed) to see it unfold, no idea if the B`s are calling anyone up but Pandalfo is an ok guy for a game here and there, not at all a long term fixture and I`m sure Chia is more than aware of that.

He (Kelly) isn`t a star, but he`s a vital piece to this teams success IMO, and this is a potentially huge loss

25. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    all that could be true and great news, but let`s not discount, when we recover from injuries such as this, we don`t march out onto an ice surface and play against the best in the world.