Confirmed with Link: Chris Kelly Added to Crawfords coaching staff

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
It’s not to bat. He is a impossible person to work with, he is making some very bad choices. Things have gone to ****,
But can’t more then one thing be true? I can’t hope some talented overlooked people tired of waiting for a shot might take a job?
The fact that he gives those that work for him promotions is still a fact.
the fact that it may have opened doors to other coaching jobs for Kelly is still a fact.
It does not make him a good boss, it does mean he knows what he is doing. It just is. I have no idea why everything is so imposibly closed minded nothing can be discussed rationally.
“What it’s not good to get promoted” cause cause. Really? Come on now
Because we're talking about Melnyk here; there is nothing rational about that. Promotions under Melnyk are a result of holes he's created that need to be filled, either because he fired someone or they quit. He's not doing it because he sees a twinkle in someone's eye, he's just going about it the cheapest way possible.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What is his Coaching background?? Oh thats right hes never coached before ... Makes sense

Are we the only team that signs every ex player as coach?

Luke Richardson retires...hey come coach.

Jason Smith retires...hey come coach.

Donovan retires...hey come coach.

Phillips retires...hey come coach.

Chris Kelly retires...hey come coach.

I'm sure we're waiting to offer Chris Neil a position.

Does anywhere else cheap out by bringing in ex players recently retired with their first job instead of going after the best in the business?

I'm not saying I don't like these guys. Im just saying we seem to hire based on if they have ties here as opposed to them being the best available for that job on the market.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Ex players might be the best type of choice for assistant coaches. They have credibility and can act as a good buffer between the young players and the angry coach. And Kelly has great leadership skills and a Cup ring. Might be the best qualifications for the job we could ask for.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No problem with ex-players getting assistant coaching positions.....providing they have some sort of coaching experience beforehand.

Go coach bantam or Jr C or something for a year.

Reactions: DrEasy

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I know only what I've heard in interviews with Kelly. Anyone have more insight?
I'm hoping he has the temperament to earn the trust of the younger players and the skills to teach them.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Congrats to Kells!

He's going to be very good for the young guys in the room.

He was fantastic with the young guys here in Boston and I'm glad that hes getting a shot to coach.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Congrats to Kells!

He's going to be very good for the young guys in the room.

He was fantastic with the young guys here in Boston and I'm glad that hes getting a shot to coach.
Glad to hear it. My intuition based on his interviews and apparent work ethic leaves me optimistic.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ahh. Some nice n calm rational words from what looks like a nice addition in Chris Kelly. Can he speak for Dorion and melnyk too?

Reactions: solidprospect

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ill say it again I would love to have Phillips work with our young blueliners ,the offensive skill part Branstrom and Chabot have ,its the defensive zone skill that he could help them with

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ok well this is encouraging at the very least. Kelly was a very smart player so maybe he has a future in coaching!

I have heard he has done terrific things with individual players this year as him and Donovan have been working on individual skill. So basically the sense didnt replace him in that aspect so overall the team is weaker from a coaching stand point. Just another astute decision by managment.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I have heard he has done terrific things with individual players this year as him and Donovan have been working on individual skill. So basically the sense didnt replace him in that aspect so overall the team is weaker from a coaching stand point. Just another astute decision by managment.

You have no idea if the team is weaker or not from a coaching stand point. It very well could be, but he could also turn out to be a very good choach, he didn't play that many years based on pure talent, it was hard work, attention to detail and a team first mindset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad