News Article: Chris Ilitch noncommittal on Holland’s return

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't think the waiting mattered at all for Detroit. Everyone and their mother's best friend knew Blashill was the next guy in Detroit. He worked under babs for a year, then got experience running a pro team in G.R. As soon as he won that Calder Cup it was decided. Also I remember several teams looking at Blashill the year before he got the Detroit job, and Holland extended him, to a very nice deal, with the assumption that if Babs left he got the big team. At that time Detroit looked good. They had prepped for Babs departure, with a guy who had won at every level.

All that said the team was going down either way. The only thing that would have saved it would have been if Nyquist really was the superstar scorer he showed signs of being when the goose cage got all sorts of messed up. and even then this defense wasn't going to get fixed without a major move.

I get your point, but you can't say it was decided, because it still all hinged on Babcock.
Are we really supposed to believe Blashill was viewed as the 2nd best coach in the world?

Reactions: TheMule93

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I get your point, but you can't say it was decided, because it still all hinged on Babcock.
Are we really supposed to believe Blashill was viewed as the 2nd best coach in the world?
It all may have hinged on babcock, but Blashill seemed very ready at the time. The options appeared to be keep Babcock (maybe the best coach in the game), or promote a guy the league knew was an NHL coach, who could be developed around for years or even decades. They hedged their bets, and had the options that THEY wanted. in the end we ended up with an average NHL coach. (The team is bad, and looks bad with him, but its not like he has a team full of all stars who are failing) I think Babcock still misses the playoffs last year, probably this year also.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

If anything I think you mean "Are we really supposed to believe Blashill was viewed as the 2nd best available coach in the world?".

I truly don't remember who was available at that time.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If anything I think you mean "Are we really supposed to believe Blashill was viewed as the 2nd best available coach in the world?".

Most teams thinking logically promote their Calder Cup-winning coach. The Lighting, Avalanche, Capitals, Flyers, and so on, have all done it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

mclellan was at least but i guess EDM job with mcdavid was more attracting. iirc, kenny was set on blash from the beginning, we didn't interview anyone else.

I think he is going to sell them to Gilbert. That is just my opinion though.

that would be pretty terrible..

Most teams thinking logically promote their Calder Cup-winning coach. The Lighting, Avalanche, Capitals, Flyers, and so on, have all done it.

avs didn't promote bednar, he came from columbus calder team.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Unlike some here. I don't think blashill is a bad coach. But I also don't know if he is a good coach.

It's hard to be a good coach when you have a shit team.

This team is awful. This team is assembled by holland and it's terrible. Holland should not be back.

If blashill gets another year or not idk idc. I'd let the new GM decide.

Now with nill I don't know. He is a good gm, but great? Not sure. I feel nill is just the safety pick. We known what he is and what we will get. I sort of just want a fresh start, clean house. But this is the red wings and we don't do that.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Yes....Gilbert.
latest

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
If you weren't aware Chris Ilitch commented saying he backs Avila and would not comment on Holland's future. It sounds like Holland may be done here in Detroit, finally. If Holland is indeed gone, with the picks that Holland got in the Tatar deal and Mrazek and Green money coming off, it looks to be promising future for the first time in a long time. Do you care who they hire as GM or is it just anyone but Holland at this point?

Ilitch won't talk Ken Holland's future; is time up for Red Wings GM?

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm not sure why you think it means Holland may be done here. It sounds non-committal to me, as if that decision hasn't even been made yet, which is ridiculous given Holland's contract status, the condition of the current team and the importance of this year's draft. Whether he's staying or going, ownership needs to have a plan in place so we'll be ready on draft day. To me, it seems Holland will be at least staying through the draft because nothing has been heard about him being released up to this point. If he is gone there won't be an outside hire coming in to steer us through the draft. A fresh perspective would require a great deal of time to get caught up with the rest of the front office and the drafting/scouting staff. When all is said and done, I think Holland will be given one more season at least.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm not sure why you think it means Holland may be done here. It sounds non-committal to me, as if that decision hasn't even been made yet, which is ridiculous given Holland's contract status, the condition of the current team and the importance of this year's draft. Whether he's staying or going, ownership needs to have a plan in place so we'll be ready on draft day. To me, it seems Holland will be at least staying through the draft because nothing has been heard about him being released up to this point. If he is gone there won't be an outside hire coming in to steer us through the draft. A fresh perspective would require a great deal of time to get caught up with the rest of the front office and the drafting/scouting staff. When all is said and done, I think Holland will be given one more season at least.
I would think that if Holland is drafting for us then he will be here for the whole year.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Do you think Holland accepts a 1 year deal?
He could go work in seattle and get a retirement contract and work near home.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I would think that if Holland is drafting for us then he will be here for the whole year.

His contract may run through the end of the year (June 30 or so).

So if he's not coming back, do you bring in a new GM on July 1? That sounds risky.

IMO, if Holland isn't coming back, you relieve him as soon as the season is over (if not sooner), hire a new GM and let him make decisions on resigning free agents, coaches, scouts, the draft, UFAs etc

If Holland signs a 1 year deal, we're going to have a lot of Yzerman speculation

Reactions: jkutswings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

1-year deal does not prevent any Seattle plans. It would be almost too idealistic. He could be at Detroit for 2018-19 and still concentrate a full year from 2019 summer for an expansion draft year later at 2020.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I do

If you weren't aware Chris Ilitch commented saying he backs Avila and would not comment on Holland's future. It sounds like Holland may be done here in Detroit, finally. If Holland is indeed gone, with the picks that Holland got in the Tatar deal and Mrazek and Green money coming off, it looks to be promising future for the first time in a long time. Do you care who they hire as GM or is it just anyone but Holland at this point?

Ilitch won't talk Ken Holland's future; is time up for Red Wings GM?

Completely different situations. As far as I know, Avila is under contract for a few more years so of course the owner is going to back him. KH is on an expiring contract.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not sure is it official yet, but seems to be that Carolina Hurricanes are firing their GM Ron Francis.

They have now new owner and he wants to bring his own guy in.

I see this as a huge mistake and as an opportunity to steal a good hockey mind (Francis) to Detroit.

If Holland is let go, we should heavily pursue after Francis. I see him as an equal option for Yzerman. Very good drafter, especially. Steal the best scouts etc. from Carolina after the hire...

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm not sure is it official yet, but seems to be that Carolina Hurricanes are firing their GM Ron Francis.

They have now new owner and he wants to bring his own guy in.

I see this as a huge mistake and as an opportunity to steal a good hockey mind (Francis) to Detroit.

If Holland is let go, we should heavily pursue after Francis. I see him as an equal option for Yzerman. Very good drafter, especially. Steal the best scouts etc. from Carolina after the hire...

He's been named President of Hockey Operations
Ron Francis out as Hurricanes GM; named president of hockey operations - Sportsnet.ca

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

His contract will end at 2018-19 and is free to look elsewhere. Back to GMing if he likes that more.

Big summer that 2019 on GM level. Seattle etc. I think we should extend Kenny there and the look for these Francis/Yzerman options.

There has to be good choices in replacing Kenny. I don't want to replace him just for the sake of replacement, if there's not decent options.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I always thought it was a double standard, that player contracts are all completely public - and sometimes publicly debated - but the AAV (and, more importantly, term) of front office contracts is frequently kept hush-hush.

Teams should know how many years every GM in the league has left on his deal, and the same for the assistants and other key personnel.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If we land Dahlin, does that increase the chances of keeping around Holland, Wright, and everyone else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad