Chris "Higgity Higgity" Higgins Appreciation Thread

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Such a smart player. It disturbs me that he wasn't even on the Canucks' radar last year until Florida suggested Higgins. Our pro scouting is still somewhat lacking it seems.

Dirkph

Mancrush = Malhotra
Mar 23, 2009
Victoria
Higgins is amazing. Smart and gives it 100% every night.

After D. Sedin and Burrows, Higgins has the most hockey sense out of any of our wingers.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Such a smart player. It disturbs me that he wasn't even on the Canucks' radar last year until Florida suggested Higgins. Our pro scouting is still somewhat lacking it seems.

Tallon suggested him? At least the scouts on the farm are still doing well. :naughty:

Kagee*

RK17 hinting to AV to keep this stellar AMEX line together. :yo:

The American Express line is back together again and flying for the Vancouver Canucks.

Ryan Kesler, Chris Higgins and David Booth played a key role as the Canucks beat Winnipeg 3-2 on Thursday night to interrupt a strong playoff drive by the Jets.

Higgins, from Smithtown, N.Y., moved up to rejoin his linemates from the Detroit area after playing on the third line following his recovery from a bacterial infection.

"(Higgins is) one of the most underrated players in the game," said Kesler, who scored the opening short-handed goal. "He plays with a lot of energy. He has a great skill set. He's easy to play with. I love playing with the guy."
link

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
I'll be quite honest. At the trade deadline I was most worried that Gillis would use these two as chips to a bigger piece. And I hope he refrains. Both Higgins and Lappy have quickly become two of my favourite players to watch during games. Looking back on the trade deadline, I'm glad Hodgson was moved rather than either of these two.

Whenever we are in a situation this year that seems impossible my first thought is "Higgins/Lappy/Burrows will get some life going." And 9 times out of 10 they produce with a goal, a turnover, a rush, a big hit, or something that gets under the skin of the other team.

Love those three. Higgins especially.

Kagee*

mar0912_booth_kotr.jpg

John Bender*

Well.........I think you could say that about 30 teams. Higgins was once very well regarded, but after he went to NYR and then CGY, he sort of lost that luster.

The thing I notice about Higgins, Kesler and even Booth is that they are MEGA tough. You can hammer each of them, stick them, pound them continuously, but they keep coming back again and again and again. For those that question team toughness, I think that line is as tough as any in hockey. May not be the traditional toughness we all think of......but they are indeed tough.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
He has some real skill to his game. I never really knew the type of game he played until last years playoffs and since then I have been huge fan of his. Very underrated, I wish my team had him.

trytobe

Nov 29, 2011
My wishful thinking is that he probably is grateful to the Canucks org for "reviving" his career, and I really hope that that translates to a healthy discount on his next contract

:handclap:

Higgins is probably going to be my first jersey purchase. Either him or Tanev.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Aladdin... :(

Well.........I think you could say that about 30 teams. Higgins was once very well regarded, but after he went to NYR and then CGY, he sort of lost that luster.

The funny thing is I remember earlier on in the season thinking he'd make a nice addition to the Canucks. Can never have enough of these smart yet underrated two-way forwards. I also thought Chris Kelly might be worth acquiring from the Senators, and lo and behold, he ends up being a big part of the Bruins' Cup win.

Wetcoaster

Jason Botchford article on Chris Higgins and his return to form from the staph infection. He went through a debilitating, energy sapping recovery.

Last game the AMEX line looked to be rolling. Hopefully Higgins is not going to have a relapse because he is an integral part of the Canucks ability to go deep into the post-season.

For the first time in two months, he began to feel like himself again. He’s not there yet, but he is well on his way after ingesting the last round of pills for a prescription that ended Thursday, one that left him wiped him out for weeks.

Few have any idea of just how difficult it had been for Higgins dealing with the side effects from his meds. Forget the fact he couldn’t keep weight on and lost more than ten pounds, which is trouble enough when you’re trying to compete in the NHL. At times, he could barely stay upright.

Higgins got dizzy between shifts. Underweight, he couldn’t recover energy-wise after difficult shifts.

He rarely went out between games but when he did, it was sometimes gut-wrenching. Literally. Stomach pains would immobilize him and he never knew when they would hit.

“It was a lot of bad stomach cramps, incapacitating stomach cramps where I couldn’t even move,†Higgins said. “If I felt the wave come on, I had to shut everything down and just push through it mentally.

“I could be walking down the street and I’d literally just stop and lean against the wall for ten minutes, trying to breathe through it.
“It’s been difficult.â€

So, the seven shots on net Thursday were no fluke.

“I was finally feeling like myself again,†he said. “It was good to finish the pills. I hope every game from here on, I get quicker. I had a real problems on these meds, just an overall lack of energy.

“I’m hoping I feel like myself for these last games before the playoffs so I feel good about my game.â€​
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/0...fter-two-months-of-battling-staph-infections/

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
xg9Yj.gif

God, I love Chris Higgins.

Jesus... who knew this would take up 5 minutes of an After Hours interview!

I know they talked about his off-season conditioning routine, but they didn't talk about how he does yoga. I saw Higgins in January at the Yoga studio i go to. Was in my hot yoga class, seems like a nice guy, ripped, but i thought he'd be bigger. I wish more hockey guys talk about the yoga that they do, like Ryan O'Reilly (link).

Still under-rated but he's getting his fair share of praise in the press and in commentary during the games. He is the Canucks' best offseason signing/resigning. Keep the AMEX line together!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad