Chris "Higgity Higgity" Higgins Appreciation Thread

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Mods can decide if they want to merge this with some of the other _______ appreciation threads, might be nice to have a general unsung hero thread to praise some of the Nucks.

How about some praise for Chris Higgins? I was completely underwhelmed with his acquisition last trade deadline, wondering if additions like him and Lappy were enough to push this team even further into contender status. The guy has grown into a fantastic player for us, he's one of the most versatile players we have, managing to look good on almost any line he has played on, can play all 3 positions, and is looking like a player who can pot 20+ goals this season.

As a long-time Canucks fan it is sure nice to see a deadline pickup stay with our team, and not only that, become one of our most consistent performers. Gone are the days of Keith Carney and Martin Rucinsky.

Chris_Higgins_Vancouver_2011_AP

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Who would've thought Higgins would be tied for 6th place in goals scored? I was initially skeptical of what he'd bring to the table when Gillis brought him in but he fits this team like a glove and has been a fantastic tool box player. Moneypuck baby.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We can basically have a appreciation thread for very bottom 6 player so far this year, that's how good our depth has been so far.

Higgins has surprised me as well, and I'd be ecstatic if he got 20+ goals this season.

smokinstampede*

His cap hit is what $1.9? Him and Burrows are best bargains to say the least.

I wonder what Burrows will command at the end of his term btw?

The thing I love about higgins is that you can move him either up or down the line up and he just doesnt seem to miss a beat.

VERY versatile player!

Hugh Mann*

He's definitely playing better than he is right now, but even when he regresses if he can play even a fraction as well then he'll remain a valuable part of the team.

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Dec 18, 2008
Vancouver
It's funny, with the cap its almost hard to cheer for individual success as players price themselves off the team at that point. However, seeing as he has another year on his contract, its great to see him do well and he has been a fit in every role this year.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Higgins had 3 twenty goal seasons in a row in Montreal and then seemed to lose his way. Maybe he forgot that he had to work hard to get those goals. It looks like he's back on track for another 20 or maybe even 30 goal season. It's no coincidence that night in and night out he's probably the hardest working Canuck. HM to Lapierre on that front as well.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Chris Higgins got traded for being requested by NYR and liking to party. Not exactly knocks on his play.

Everyone was clamouring over Marty Reasoner at the deadline, and while I think he would have helped, I am glad Higgins was acquired under everyone's radar. Talking to my friend who is a Habs fan, the reason they didn't like him as a Hab was because they expected him to consistently put up 30 goals, and then didn't. I like that he plays kind of the "Taylor Pyatt" role and be bounced around the lineup due to his flexibility.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Great contract that Gillis got done under the radar. Higgins showed up to camp in great shape and ready to get back to his old form.

I think he's actually better on the third line because he can be the best player on his line whereas on the second line, he's going to have to defer to Kesler and/or Booth.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Gillis was on this morning and said he was approached by both Higgins and Lapierre during the off season, and both really wanted to stay with the organization. Made those deals pretty easy I'd wager; not like either guy was coming off a great season outside of the playoffs.

And these are guys in their primes pretty much, we could feasibly get 4 to 5 more years of good hockey out of Higgins, and even more out of Lapierre. After what they've both been through I find it unlikely they'll be the type of players to bolt to free agency again either...especially Higgins.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Chris Higgins got traded for being requested by NYR and liking to party. Not exactly knocks on his play.

Everyone was clamouring over Marty Reasoner at the deadline, and while I think he would have helped, I am glad Higgins was acquired under everyone's radar. Talking to my friend who is a Habs fan, the reason they didn't like him as a Hab was because they expected him to consistently put up 30 goals, and then didn't. I like that he plays kind of the "Taylor Pyatt" role and be bounced around the lineup due to his flexibility.

Not so! I distinctly remember poster Roddy suggesting Higgins as a possible add. Well done.

I look at Higgins as this team's Cleary. He's versatile enough to play anywhere and should give you a 20+20 stat-line by the end. Excellent add.

Awesome Sauce

Feb 4, 2011
Vancouver Island
Higgins has been one of the best performers of the season for sure, and he continues to wow me almost every game. Not only is he putting in the goals, but he is one of the hardest workers out there.

Kagee*

haha I remember after the trade I was complaining in his lack of production, but then the playoffs came and he started to produce, lol awesome he's clicking now and playing on fire.:yo:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Gillis was on this morning and said he was approached by both Higgins and Lapierre during the off season, and both really wanted to stay with the organization. Made those deals pretty easy I'd wager; not like either guy was coming off a great season outside of the playoffs.

And these are guys in their primes pretty much, we could feasibly get 4 to 5 more years of good hockey out of Higgins, and even more out of Lapierre. After what they've both been through I find it unlikely they'll be the type of players to bolt to free agency again either...especially Higgins.

Love hearing stuff like this. Not only retaining players, but having players actively advocating for themselves to remain here is big. It's a huge culture shift from where this team was at in the mid-to-late 90s.

Higgins has been great this year. I don't think his offensive pace can keep up (currently on pace for 40 goals), but that's also not the only thing that he's done well--he hustles every game, his battle and compete level is arguably the best on the team at the moment, and he doesn't shy away from anything. Just a terrific start to the year for him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think Higgins and Lapierre approached MG wanting to get a new contract to stay in Vancouver, was for a couple of reasons.

- Stanley Cup run with the Canucks, which translates into a good chance of winning

- Both have finally found a home again to play hockey in after falling off a bit with their play

- Treated with class ever since coming here

- Both have been given roles in which they can succeed in

Last edited:

Crows*

Higgins is becoming one of my favorite canucks. His work ethic is tremendous. He wins board battles and can play physical .

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I think too much was expected of Booth, Higgins and Lappy in their previous locals. Players seem to fit really nicely into our system knowing they are protected by the Sedin's and Kesler.

EDIT: I like our bottom 6 having so much speed, it makes it look like they are working even harder!

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Higgins had 3 twenty goal seasons in a row in Montreal and then seemed to lose his way. Maybe he forgot that he had to work hard to get those goals. It looks like he's back on track for another 20 or maybe even 30 goal season. It's no coincidence that night in and night out he's probably the hardest working Canuck. HM to Lapierre on that front as well.

Chris Higgins has scored 27 goals in a season before. 30 is certainly not out of the question if he continues to play this way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad