Confirmed with Link: Chris Higgins joins the Canucks in a player development role

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Chris Higgins still lives in Vancouver, I've seen him around town.
Good for him!

Really? That's cool. This is a great hire on paper. As I said in another thread, Higgins as a lot he can offer to our young players/prospects.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Really? That's cool. This is a great hire on paper. As I said in another thread, Higgins as a lot he can offer to our young players/prospects.

Yeah, I think his girlfriend and/or wife lives here.
Hence he's stayed here after retirement.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Yeah I see him around park royal in westvan all the time, he’s got a pretty sweet matte black G wagon as well. Really nice guy and still fit af.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Higgins comes across as a likeable guy whereas Walker doesn’t. Hopefully this improves the morale and overall success of the developing players.

Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Higgins comes across as a likeable guy whereas Walker doesn’t. Hopefully this improves the morale and overall success of the developing players.

Stories of him on the road. He likes to be a lone, and when he wanted his roommate (on the road) to get out of the room he would strip naked.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
But I thought Benning was so disrespectful to CH at the end of his career? Surprised Higgins would be willing to work for Benning after that. :sarcasm:

No idea what Higgins brings to this role. Walker sort of scratched and clawed and reinvented himself to get an NHL career, so you kinda thought he'd have some insight to offer. Don't think this is a position that really moves the needle much regardless of who is in it, and Higgins did go through some ups and downs in his career. Hope he does real good.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But I thought Benning was so disrespectful to CH at the end of his career? Surprised Higgins would be willing to work for Benning after that. :sarcasm:

No idea what Higgins brings to this role. Walker sort of scratched and clawed and reinvented himself to get an NHL career, so you kinda thought he'd have some insight to offer. Don't think this is a position that really moves the needle much regardless of who is in it, and Higgins did go through some ups and downs in his career. Hope he does real good.

One thing Walker brought was coaching experience. Higgins has none of that. But like you said, Walker also had to scratch and claw and reinvent himself. That doesn't necessarily apply to 1st or 2nd round picks who are use to being stars.

I think a big part of the job is talking to players and working with them at development camp. Higgins is a smart guy who was a good hockey player. He's a former first round pick, played in the AHL, scored 27 goals in a season, and reinvented himself as a middle 6 winger in the NHL. Hard not to respect the career he had and what he went through.

Feb 24, 2017
why Higgins,,and what exactly is player development. can we not hire anyone who is not a ex canuck.
I’m as fast as anyone to doubt moves made by the Benning Canucks pay off, but Chris Higgins was a hard working, dedicated, consummate pro. So I will withhold judgement until we can see some tangible results. I feel Higgins has earned that credit.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Being an ex-NHLer means nothing. What actual credentials does he have when it comes to developing prospects?

Our prospect develpment has been putrid. Except for goalies, nothing good has been coming out of our AHL team for some time. It's to the point where we should just draft U.S. and overseas only, skip the AHL completely.

I like Higgins, but we needed someone experienced at THIS job, not at being an ex-player. Did that help Benning or Linden? A serious lack of push from our developing prospects, is one of the biggest issues this team has. We're going all-in now trading 1sts and stuff, just to be a bubble team with no incoming young players on the horizon. It feels like more of the blind leading the blind.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Being an ex-NHLer means nothing. What actual credentials does he have when it comes to developing prospects?

Our prospect develpment has been putrid. Except for goalies, nothing good has been coming out of our AHL team for some time. It's to the point where we should just draft U.S. and overseas only, skip the AHL completely.

I like Higgins, but we needed someone experienced at THIS job, not at being an ex-player. Did that help Benning or Linden? A serious lack of push from our developing prospects, is one of the biggest issues this team has. We're going all-in now trading 1sts and stuff, just to be a bubble team with no incoming young players on the horizon. It feels like more of the blind leading the blind.
Once Higgy puts his head together with Ryan Johnson the two of them together are sure to come up with some whiz bang player development ideas. Besides, what else are these alumni that are just idling around town going to do with their time?

Mr Aquilini's make work project for millionaire alumni is filling an important social need.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Weird that the best candidate available for so many of these positions already has previous connections to the team.
Can you believe, after what had to have been a painstaking, exhaustive search for the right candidate, leaving no stone unturned I have no doubt, the best candidate winds up being right here in our own backyard. Just imagine Mr Aquilini's surprise at such an unexpected turn of events ;)

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Higgy's mind is going to be blown when Delorme takes him on a tour of the war room. Jimbo says that place is really something with all of the latest high tech gizmos as well as refreshments like hot coffee, bowls of chips and Steamer's hot dogs. Just hangin' in the war room with Mr Aquilini and the rest of the alumni talkin' hockey is going to be a lot of fun I'll bet ;)

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad