Chris Chelios..

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
He gets in without a throw. Qualifies in terms of peak and career value.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
He may be a jerk, he may not be the most likable guy in NHL history, but he's a bonafide first-ballot HHOFer. IMO, one of the top 10 defencemen ever. Three Norris Trophies. Five-time first-team all-star. Two-time second-team all-star. One of the top 50 players ever. Two Stanley Cups.

Larry Murphy got in on the first ballot. Unless it's an incredibly deep first ballot, Chelios will get in.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
He may be a jerk, he may not be the most likable guy in NHL history, but he's a bonafide first-ballot HHOFer. IMO, one of the top 10 defencemen ever. Three Norris Trophies. Five-time first-team all-star. Two-time second-team all-star. One of the top 50 players ever. Two Stanley Cups.

Larry Murphy got in on the first ballot. Unless it's an incredibly deep first ballot, Chelios will get in.

I'd say it's unlikely a ballot could be put together without Chelios in the top 4, regardless of when he retires. Dominik Hasek is the only active player who I'd rate as clearly better all-time than Chelios. Lidstrom, Jagr, Sakic, and a few others are debatable.

chooch*

I'd say it's unlikely a ballot could be put together without Chelios in the top 4, regardless of when he retires. Dominik Hasek is the only active player who I'd rate as clearly better all-time than Chelios. Lidstrom, Jagr, Sakic, and a few others are debatable.

Chelios better than Jagr? I saw Chelios play a lot in Montreal and he was a big star but not a superstar. Off ice activities got him traded at this peak. He was reputedly hammered at the 86 parade and the 90 (?) incident where he was caught by Burns breaking curfew during the playoffs with Corson etc (Someone will remember better than me).

Chelios is not on Choochs top 20 list since 1971. Jagr is in the top 5.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Chelios better than Jagr? I saw Chelios play a lot in Montreal and he was a big star but not a superstar. Off ice activities got him traded at this peak. He was reputedly hammered at the 86 parade and the 90 (?) incident where he was caught by Burns breaking curfew during the playoffs with Corson etc (Someone will remember better than me).

No alcohol/ drug accusations at hockeys future iirc:dunno:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com

your kidding right? i respect your opinion but chelios has done a lot more then hasek did over a lot longer span too mind you...

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006
Chelios is a definite lock for the HOF. He'll get in on the first ballot. He's in that definite lock group with players like Messier, Hull, Francis, Robitaille, Hasek, Stevens, Lidstrom, Sakic, Jagr, and Larionov.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I always thought it was because of a bum knee. I remember the Habs saying that it was so bad that he would have a hard time skating backwards for the rest of his career. Was he that poorly thought of in Montreal?

Finest

Puck Fittsburg
May 15, 2006
Long Island
Chelios is a definite lock for the HOF. He'll get in on the first ballot. He's in that definite lock group with players like Messier, Hull, Francis, Robitaille, Hasek, Stevens, Lidstrom, Sakic, Jagr, and Larionov.

I disagree, not to knock him, he is a sensational player but those guys seem to just be on a higher level than him. Maybe I havent seen him play all that much but those guys just seem to be I guess leaders, and I dont equate Chelios to a leader. He will definitly get in, there is no question, but I think it all depends on who is a canidate, because if its any of those guys I dont see him getting in first round. Just my opinion.

I always thought it was because of a bum knee. I remember the Habs saying that it was so bad that he would have a hard time skating backwards for the rest of his career. Was he that poorly thought of in Montreal?

As with any good player to wear the bleu-blanc-rouge the fans have been split on the guy. There were some who liked his toughness as well as his ability to move the puck up the ice and he had a good shot. Early in his career he reminded many of a young Larry Robinson. Others thought he was a bum and should be shipped on the next bus or thrown under it. Not entirely coincidentally he was an American-born english speaking player, so no doubt the French media felt he was the antichrist incarnate. In the entire history of the team there are something like a dozen players the fans ALL love. Otherwise you get splits of opinion on every single player who ever donned the silks. I wouldn't read too much into whether or not the fans liked him.

Management and players never seemed to have a problem with him, he played hard, he played hurt, he stood up for his teammates; basically all the things he's become known for. First ballot? Absolutely.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
When I hear rumours about off ice stuff, I listen,feel cool because I heard inside info., but don't always believe it. That being said, Chelios' off ice rep got him traded.No question whatsoever. I could violate board rules and relate 5 or 6 stories but too much is gossip, and it affects other people's reps.

I don't recall Chelios the player being criticized much. He was a consistent, tremendous defenseman. One of those guys who you get used to and realize after he was gone how good he was.

I don't think the media was tough on him. The media may have been gagged over certain incidents, and there was a lot of silence when he left. I'd take him on my team anyday, but he wouldn't get near my house.

Easily a 1st ballot hof'er though.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I disagree, not to knock him, he is a sensational player but those guys seem to just be on a higher level than him. Maybe I havent seen him play all that much but those guys just seem to be I guess leaders, and I dont equate Chelios to a leader. He will definitly get in, there is no question, but I think it all depends on who is a canidate, because if its any of those guys I dont see him getting in first round. Just my opinion.

Chelios is a better all-time player than at least Stevens and Robataille from that list (arguably better than several of the other forwards too), and on any all-time best defensemen list of any value, he and Lidstrom will be right around the same spot. Chelios not a leader? That's a joke if I've ever heard one.

Badger Bob

Malefic74 said:
Others thought he was a bum and should be shipped on the next bus or thrown under it. Not entirely coincidentally he was an American-born english speaking player, so no doubt the French media felt he was the antichrist incarnate.

Was this also the case with Rod Langway? :dunno:

As for Chelly, there should be no doubt. His contributions to Team USA should not be overlooked. For those who want to include him in the grossly-overpublicized Nagano room-trashing incident, he did write a check out of his own pocket to cover the damages. Whether or not he was directly involved is immaterial. It demonstrated leadership.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I'd have to say yes. Unless the ballot is filled with other players more deserving it'll be on his first.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Was this also the case with Rod Langway? :dunno:

As for Chelly, there should be no doubt. His contributions to Team USA should not be overlooked. For those who want to include him in the grossly-overpublicized Nagano room-trashing incident, he did write a check out of his own pocket to cover the damages. Whether or not he was directly involved is immaterial. It demonstrated leadership.
I never remember a negative word about Langway. He wanted to move back to the US for personal reasons. He wasn't the Langway in Mtl that he became in washington, but he got no fan or media abuse. I still maintain that Chelly got little on ice criticism as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->