Chris Chelios' longevity, does it hurt or help his legacy?

Randall Graves*

Well it hurts him in terms of how people remember him in terms of younger fans who didn't catch much of his prime.

I don't feel that way, I think it's great that a guy whos' almost 50 still has the passion to play the game and contribute. Why should he retire? Because of how others judge his legacy? I doubt he cares.

Koivu84*

It doesn't hurt his legacy for those that saw him play in his prime.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Gordie Howe's longevity only hurt his legacy because he didn't play his whole career for Detroit. As well as that obvious record grab, skating a single shift with the Vipers.

1970 Habs

Feb 19, 2008
North of 45
I have loved Chelios as a player, but in my opinion I think it is time for him to retire. Go out on top with the Stanley Cup win.

He should step aside to open a spot for one of the organization's younger prospects - like Jakub Kindl. But that is an organization's decision to make.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I think it hurts in the short-term because of the glaring contrast between what he is and what he was.

I think it is a plus in the long-term (after he retires...in say 10 or 20 more years :naughty:) because people will be amazed that he remained productive on a championship team for so many years.

One of the keys is that he remains on a champion or contender. If he was just marking time on a loser, then it would perhaps be more of a negative, unless he had some defining role (such as assistant captain or helping to teach a new generation of players).

I agree with this, right now it may affect his "legacy" a bit negative, when you are active you're usual as good as the last few games in people eyes, but after he retires people will look at hes career as a whole again.

Oilers1*

This topic has actually brought back some memories of Chelios back in the early '90s. . .I don't think I've ever loved to hate a player as much as Chelios when he was a Blackhawk. He was basically the Darth Vader of the NHL.

A 30-minute a night defenseman who could put up 70 points and 220 PIMs in a season, all while taking ridiculously dirty cheap-shots regularily, throwing his body around like a maniac, and fighting anyone who challenged him (I remember him going with Tony Twist once).

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
I think Chelios' longevity only helps him to build more status. I would have thought he'd quit after the 2002 Cup with Wings, but this guy just keeps going and we we might see him in the next Olympics.

Chelios has established himself to me as prime example of professional athlete who can still compete in the top level despite being in over his mid-forties. With todays pro's being tuned to the maximum and competition getting tougher his effort to stay around three decades is something really remarkable.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
naah.. unless chelly came out on the ice.. took a huge dump and started throwing it at the crowd I'd say his legacy is made. He's pretty efficient now and plays within his abilities... If it ever came to be that he couldn't even take on the other teams 3rd or fourth liners then I think he'd step down....

then promptly join the greek national bobsledding team!:yo:

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
naah.. unless chelly came out on the ice.. took a huge dump and started throwing it at the crowd I'd say his legacy is made. He's pretty efficient now and plays within his abilities... If it ever came to be that he couldn't even take on the other teams 3rd or fourth liners then I think he'd step down....

then promptly join the greek national bobsledding team!:yo:

Not absolutely sure that would hurt either...world wide news...who is this guy?...what does prolonged hockey do to the human brain?...how is he able to compete at his age in such a physically demanding and poop throwing sport?....etc....etc...

Hurt perhaps for some/add to legacy for others...somewhat neutral but better recognition overall.

Diving Pokecheck*

I think that, of course, playing to such an advanced age is one more feather in his figurative cap. However, a lot of fans today just think of him as 'that old guy', without thought to his accomplishments in his prime.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I actually disagree totally. The only people who would say that are people who wouldn't have seen him in his prime anyways.

That's exactly what I meant, and why he agreed. Too many youngsters think Chelios is just some guy who played forever and forget that he was the game's most dominant defenseman once upon a time.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
That's exactly what I meant, and why he agreed. Too many youngsters think Chelios is just some guy who played forever and forget that he was the game's most dominant defenseman once upon a time.

no, my point was it doesn't hrut his legacy because the only people who would forget what he was 10 years ago are people who would have never seen him to remember how good he actually was. In other words, by the time Chelios enters the hall nobody will remember how good or bad he was towards the end. Do you think anybody will remember how bad Lemieux looked in his final season or how awful Lafleur was after he came back from retirement? Not a chance.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well, I guess you're just misunderstanding me. Because in my opinion, Chelios' legacy will be based on the collective opinions people have of him. And too many young people have already forgotten how good it was. I think his legacy is being hurt already. And it's wrong that it is that way, but it is that way.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think the point others are trying to make is that, while some may temporarily remember chelios as the old guy on the red wings, history will right itself in the end. say, ten years after he retires, no one will remember his last years, but those three norris trophies will ensure that chelios's legacy will be as one of the game's all-time great defencemen. plus, when chelios is inducted in the HHOF three years after he retires, people will be writing articles about him being a nasty SOB and a guy who could control the game in almost every way a defenceman can, and newspapers are going to quote players he played with and guys he played against and those guys are going to talk about his prime years, not his last ones as a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad