Prospect Info: Chris Brown (2014, 151st) – '18-19: Boston College #10 (NCAA)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
CranbrookChristopherBrown(1).jpg

Jan.​
|
Jun.​
|
Pos.​
|
2014 Prospect​
|
Team​
|
Ht.​
|
Wt.​
|
HF​
|
HFB​
|
THW​
|
YouTube​
|
Mediawatch​
NR​
|
NR​
|
RC​
| |
Cranbrook​
|
6'0"​
|
179​
|
HF
|
–​
|
–​
|
YT1–YT2
|
1–2–3–4–5–6

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Black Book

Chris posted outstanding numbers this season on a dominant line at Cranbrook Kingswood. He displays good skill and skating ability and can both create and finish scoring opportunities. The biggest question is whether or not he can do this on a bigger stage. He will get the opportunity to do this as he is slated to join Boston College in September 2015 and in the mean time has his rights held by the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
2014-15 team will be Green Bay (USHL) it looks like.

Bloodlines:
- Father's Doug, an ex-NHL'er and BC associate HC
- Uncle's Greg, an ex-NHL'er
- Brother's Patrick, outgoing BC captain who signed ELC with Carolina earlier this year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Was getting concerned with who we were drafting. I though with 1-2 2nds they would have gone college/Europe with longer rights.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
From Brown's Pointstreak bio:
I am interested in studying Economics in college. I am a Green Bay Gamblers affiliate and Boston College commit. I plan on playing for the Gamblers next year and the following year playing for Boston College. I play lacrosse, enjoy weight lifting, yoga, and golf in the summer

Also, more videos of Michigan HS hockey can be found here; fast-forward to the 34th minute to see Brown's goal in a March playoff loss or find another game to browse, as there's plenty to choose from (have his game log handy). The opposing goalie in that game had sixty saves though and the recap can be found here. He was also named MIHL MVP for the 2013-14 season.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Here are some blurbs from Brown and his head coach after deciding on BC:
Chris Brown will become the latest addition to the Brown family legacy after committing to play for the Eagles in September. His family’s connection to the program was too strong to keep the Cranbrook senior from continuing his career anywhere else.

“I did look at Michigan quite a bit and I have always thought Notre Dame would be a fun place to play and I’d say Miami of Ohio was also in the mix,” said Brown, who leads the Michigan Interscholastic Hockey League with 53 points (16 goals, 37 assists) this season. “In the end, though, it was Boston College first and foremost.”
Cranbrook coach Andy Weidenbach, who has seen many NCAA Division 1 players pass through his program in the past two decades, feels Brown is equipped for college success.

“I like his chances at this point because everything Chris has accomplished at this level points to success at the next level,” he said. “As a high school player, he is a game-changer who makes things happen and he raises the level of play of his teammates. His work ethic, focus, determination and, obviously his skill level and physical strengths, are all admirable. Chris plays the game with a sense of purpose and has been a tremendous captain, one of the best we’ve had during my years at Cranbrook. When you put it all together, Christopher is the complete package.”

Brown actually won’t set foot on the BC campus until the fall of 2015. He plans to spend next season further honing his craft with the Green Bay Gamblers, a United States Hockey League organization which drafted him last year.

“I want to take a year to develop more as a player with the Gamblers,” Brown said. “I want to improve my skating speed and get stronger. I’d like to get to college a stronger shooter than I am now as well.”

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Here's Brown's scouting report from McKeen's Draft Blog:
The son of former NHLer Doug spent three years with Cranbrook Kingswood, a Michigan High School team, playing his first year as a freshman .. Brown is an offensively-fueled player who exploits his speed by easily entering the zone and manufacturing offence .. wayward skating mechanics – he generates considerable power in his cross-overs but a swaying motion diminishes his speed .. an opportunistic scorer, he’s always in motion in the offensive and neutral zones looking to pounce on the opposition’s mistakes .. received criticism this season for overlooking passing options and trying to do it all himself, which may be partly attributed to inferior linemates who weren't able to take advantage of his open-ice creativity .. predominantly a shoot-first player with a strong wrist shot .. an intelligent forward who is not afraid to push the pace .. able to shake off checks with both a slippery quality as well as brute strength .. wiry strong as he will go into traffic and try to make plays out of nothing .. game has some bad habits due to his level of competition, however he is committed to Boston College and should have plenty of time to iron out his game .. voted MVP of Michigan Interscholastic Hockey League.
It sounds like there's some good skills here, but the wildcard is how they translate as the quality of competition increases, as it is with most high schoolers.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
2014-15 team will be Green Bay (USHL) it looks like.

Bloodlines:
- Father's Doug, an ex-NHL'er and BC associate HC
- Uncle's Greg, an ex-NHL'er
- Brother's Patrick, outgoing BC captain who signed ELC with Carolina earlier this year.

It should be noted (and I only know this from it being mentioned in the chat) that Greg is a former Sabre. Drafted in the 2nd (#26) in 1986. He played three seasons in the organization then left as a free agent, retiring with 94 career games.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=582

1990-91
Buffalo Sabres NHL 39 1 2335 -20
Rochester Americans AHL 31 6 172316 | Playoffs 14 1 458
1991-92

Rochester Americans AHL 56 8 303825 -4 | Playoffs 16 1 564 0
Team USA International 8 0 005
USA OG 7 0 002
1992-93
Buffalo Sabres NHL 10 0 116 -5
Rochester Americans AHL 61 11 384946 20 | Playoffs 16 3 81114

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It should be noted (and I only know this from it being mentioned in the chat) that Greg is a former Sabre. Drafted in the 2nd (#26) in 1986. He played three seasons in the organization then left as a free agent, retiring with 94 career games.

I remember Greg Brown as an Amerk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->