Chris Bourque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
For all those citing St. Louis - I would argue his rise to prominince has just as much to do with six pro seasons (and another four at college) prior to his arrival in Tampa as it has to a change of surroundings. It was really only last season that everyone started to sit up and take notice. Lets not forget that St. Louis is 29, but if Washington can wait 10 years and not lose patience with him then good for them.

Although the Caps can probably show some patience with Bourque, there is also extra competition in the Caps organisation so it isn't all positive.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Well, some of his potential teammates weren't too happy with his attitude or his skills at the recent WJC evaluation camp for Team USA.

A direct quote regarding CB he was deemed an: "F'n *****" a "cherry picker", and he was told he needed to "grow some balls and be a man".....

....so, I guess that pretty much sums up the impression he made on the boys anyway...

SwOOsh*

MePutPuckInNet said:
Well, some of his potential teammates weren't too happy with his attitude or his skills at the recent WJC evaluation camp for Team USA.

A direct quote regarding CB he was deemed an: "F'n *****" a "cherry picker", and he was told he needed to "grow some balls and be a man".....

....so, I guess that pretty much sums up the impression he made on the boys anyway...

That's interesting, can we see the article please?

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
MePutPuckInNet said:

Who are you quoting here? I'm not accusing you of posting libelous things but I'd be interested to know who said them.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
This is a joke. So many people giving their opinion when they know little more than who his father is.

While I'm not a Borque expert, NHL scout or anything like that, having met the kid, seen him play, I can say one thing, he surprised the heck out of me. While he does have confidence, I don't feel he takes his father's accomplishments and all that for granted. He understands the difficulty he's going to have to face.

He is short. Yes, 5' 7" is probably being generous. But, he's also might grow and inch or two. The bigger thing is making sure he fills out. I don't think he ever will be a player of St. Louis' caliber, but he could eventually be a strong character forward. A pest of St. Louis' caliber who is smart and creative offensively.

The big reason he was taken at #33 is because the Caps had a large number of picks and felt there were some other teams going to take him in the Second. While a gamble, he probably would have been gone by the time the Caps 3rd rounder came up. And not to mention they have a lot of solid prospects already, why not add a guy with a solid pedigree, a lot more talent then his NA skater ranking said, who might be a bit short, but could develop into something? He's a gamble, but he's not a short run prospect. He will most likely spend all 4 years in the NCAA, and probably 2-3 in the AHL before a decision is made on his future.

JeSuisReine

Feb 21, 2004
SwOOsh said:
That's interesting, can we see the article please?
I was at the WJC evaluation camp, and I heard those comments about Bourque. I don't think any journalist would choose to put them in an article tho. So sorry no link, just personal witness. I did not think Bourque was very impressive at the camp, [however...it was just one week, so I am not saying that one week makes him a crappy hockey player in general, I haven't seen him enough to say that.]

Last edited:

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Well JeSuis, I can tell you for sure that you aren't very good with quotes. You somehow managed to attribute me, JohnGalt, with Swoosh's quote. :D

It sounds like the Bourque kid has a chip on his shoulder. That'll only help him if he does. But it doesn't make sense that anyone would get so upset at Bourque. It was an evaluation camp. What's the big deal if you're cherry picking there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->