chris bourque tonite vs DU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i just got back from the denver university victory over boston u tonight in denver. du is ranked 9th, bu 10th. pretty good game but the best part was watching little bourque for the first time. he is as advertised - he is really an impressive player. there is no doubt about it....he's tiny. he looks like your little brother out on the pond playing with the big guys. what struck me first was his skating - very agile and great quickness. he is very athletic on his skates, you definitely notice him. second, ive never heard about his poise with the puck, but he has it on a higher level. he's an 18 year old freshman, and jack parker has him playing the point on the power play (first unit). i was impressed that he was even getting the chance, but ill tell you he deserves it. he ran the pp well. he has poise with the puck, and makes good decisions on when to pass or shoot. he definitely wasnt afraid to shoot either. he got an assist on a breakway goal, and with some luck he wouldve had a couple more on the pp. great tippable point shots.
he is pretty aggressive all over but his size prevents him from getting too involved physically - i would expect that to change as he gets stronger. he tends to go around the net, looking to sneak around the back door for rebounds instead of driving to the crease and planting - which in his case is smart.
couple of key plays he made. he walked in on brett skinner (du top d - very tall and mobile) and didnt hesitate to make a move and try to cut inside on him. he didnt get all the way around (came close)and didnt score - but got the shot off, skinner ended up flat footed, fell down trying to keep up and slid into the goalie on his butt while bourque chased the rebound into the corner. it was an impressive move and he looked very confident with the puck.
another play was when he was on the pp at the point. the puck left the o zone, he coralled it and spun around backwards and dragged the puck with him skating backwards into his own end. a forechecker was charging at him the whole time, but he just held the puck stickhandling back and forth waiting....waiting till his guy cleared the zone and cut across the middle on the blue line. at just the right moment, he snapped a pass, while gliding backwards from between his own circles, through the forechecker and split the d (no 2 line pass in ncaa), who were pretty tight to each other - and put it right on the tape of his teamate who wasnt expecting it and lost control. iwas floored at the poise under pressure, and thats a play only a quality d man makes in that situation - not an 18 year old freshman playing against older bigger competition. he looked like his dad on that play.
overall he is one the smartest players out there already, he has great puck control and poise, and does not lack for confidence. he gives 100%, and I left impressed. im not a caps fan, and when i saw how high he was drafted, i thought it was a bad move. im wrong. this kid has a chance. he is very much like chris drury was at bu - people forget drury isnt that much bigger than this kid, and bourque is a more physical player with all the same skills and leadership. if drury can do what he did, chris bourque can do the same.
sorry this was so long - im as bored as everyone else during this - any excuse to play couch gm...im all over it.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
At prospect Camp for the Caps he was a little taller than my mother who's a short 5" 6' (yeah... I know, taking my mom to a prospect camp, well, she was hoping Goldie Hawn would be there, and she's a big Caps fan) so, 5"7' is about right on, though maybe a tad generous.

I hope he could add an inch or two, but with his frame, he's always going to be stocky, which could prove to his benefit. Either way, glad to hear about Borque.

I still think he's a long shot, but with all the picks and prospects the Caps gathered, he's a fair shot at a wildcard prospect.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
X-SHARKIE said:
How did Matt Carle of Denver play?

He scored a short-handed goal that was a great individual effort where he banked the puck off the boards to himself around a BU player, outraced his pursuer to the offensive zone and fired a wrister that beat the goaltender. He looked good.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
He scored a short-handed goal that was a great individual effort where he banked the puck off the boards to himself around a BU player, outraced his pursuer to the offensive zone and fired a wrister that beat the goaltender. He looked good.
carle made a nice play - but the goalie shoulda stopped it....it hit him on the shoulder and bounced in. overall, carle has played very well offensively for the pioneers, but i think he needs a little work in his own end. he runs around quite a bit.

bruins4777*

good to know ray's kid has skills.

The bruins tried to draft him, but the caps wouldn't cut a deal.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
Chris Bourque has scary talent, but can seem to finish for his life. Is averaging 5 shots through the first 12 games, but cant score a goal for his life (only 3 so far). He just seems to freeze up when he has the puck on his stick and an open net. Also cant play D for a lick. Great pp qb though. Look out for Miller (team mvp so far), MacArthur and Weston this game if you go again.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
devildan said:
Chris Bourque has scary talent, but can seem to finish for his life. Is averaging 5 shots through the first 12 games, but cant score a goal for his life (only 3 so far). He just seems to freeze up when he has the puck on his stick and an open net. Also cant play D for a lick. Great pp qb though. Look out for Miller (team mvp so far), MacArthur and Weston this game if you go again.

You post this same garbage on every thread involving Bourque. You clearly have 0 perspective when it comes to him. You and MEPUTTHEPUCKINNET should be ignored regarding Bourque. Several of the more knowledgeable posters have said the exact opposite of you. Your compadre ME... was nearly banned for ridiculous claims. Give it a rest regarding Bourque. Bourque is so bad finishing he scored on Rick DiPietro in the Alumni game. How many other second round picks have 3 goals in the NCAA that were picked after Bourque. Please list and give yourself some credibility. Otherwise, just hush...

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
good to know ray's kid has skills.

The bruins tried to draft him, but the caps wouldn't cut a deal.

I'm not sure how hard they tried. His game is fesity and he was impressive at Cap;s camp. Certianly has some things to work on. He looks likely to be an NHL'er one day. The kid grows 2-3 inches and lookout. He is solidly built for a small guy.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
borro said:
You post this same garbage on every thread involving Bourque. You clearly have 0 perspective when it comes to him. You and MEPUTTHEPUCKINNET should be ignored regarding Bourque. Several of the more knowledgeable posters have said the exact opposite of you. Your compadre ME... was nearly banned for ridiculous claims. Give it a rest regarding Bourque. Bourque is so bad finishing he scored on Rick DiPietro in the Alumni game. How many other second round picks have 3 goals in the NCAA that were picked after Bourque. Please list and give yourself some credibility. Otherwise, just hush...

And how many games have you seen Bourque play?

Im just wondering why is it so hard to believe that he cant finish? The stats dont lie ... his shooting % is .052. Im way too lazy too look up the whole other second round pick thing, but i can tell you that MacArthur is a undrafted and outscoring Bourque handily on BU.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
devildan said:
And how many games have you seen Bourque play?

Im just wondering why is it so hard to believe that he cant finish? The stats dont lie ... his shooting % is .052. Im way too lazy too look up the whole other second round pick thing, but i can tell you that MacArthur is a undrafted and outscoring Bourque handily on BU.

Maybe you should be too lazy to speak before engaging your brain...
So you think Macarthur is a better prospect? So 30 GM's who see these guys multiple times are less capable than your admittedly biased opinion? Just tell us, did Bourque steal your girlfriend? Did some other guy pick him for Nintendo 2010? Did he refuse to give you his stick at a game you were at? Just why are you so down on Bourque?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
David Booth has 2 goals :D
---
Wes O'Neill has 4 goals...
Jake Dowell has 6 goals...
Ben Walter has 13 goals...
Scott Parse has 7 goals...
Robbie Earl has 7 goals...
Matt Christie 6 goals...

Quit insulting people and inflating and overevluating your players borro, it gets annoying :D...;)

And those players were taken AFTER Borque...two of his points came on the power play...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I have to love the irony of Borro tossing insults for "spreading misinformation" when he has been attributing bogus stats to Jakub Kindl in multiple threads as a way to trash him.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Epsilon said:
I have to love the irony of Borro tossing insults for "spreading misinformation" when he has been attributing bogus stats to Jakub Kindl in multiple threads as a way to trash him.

Plus, it's well known that if someone carved the Capitals logo on a big steamy turd, he'd probably eat it like its the finest meal he's ever had.

Yaps a lot and zero perspective on anything.

bruins4777*

borro said:
I'm not sure how hard they tried. His game is fesity and he was impressive at Cap;s camp. Certianly has some things to work on. He looks likely to be an NHL'er one day. The kid grows 2-3 inches and lookout. He is solidly built for a small guy.

I think i read somewhere o'connell wanted him, but the caps wanted him more or something. I dunno, i'm happy with krejic. It would have been funny to see a bourque again in a b's uniform.

Anyways, as for bourque's inability to finish? The kid's a freshman, its only a 3rd of the way into the season. Its obvious he has skills and has some sick stickhandling, he has 3 more years of college give him time to develop you can't hope for an instant dominating player as a freshman. It happens very rarely. He has 3 goals and is obviously doing a great job on the powerplay. Give him time.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
David Booth has 2 goals :D
---
Wes O'Neill has 4 goals...
Jake Dowell has 6 goals...
Ben Walter has 13 goals...
Scott Parse has 7 goals...
Robbie Earl has 7 goals...
Matt Christie 6 goals...

Quit insulting people and inflating and overevluating your players borro, it gets annoying :D...;)

This silly reaction makes Hockey's Future unpleasant. Stick it in your ear buddy

And those players were taken AFTER Borque...two of his points came on the power play...

Yeah and how many of these were second round talents? Bourque is doing just fine thanks!

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Epsilon said:

This really ticks me off. I did not attribute bogus stats. I responded to a pasted item that looked like his +- was -15. I would love to see Kindl do well. I do not spread misinformation. Grow up!

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Plus, it's well known that if someone carved the Capitals logo on a big steamy turd, he'd probably eat it like its the finest meal he's ever had.

Yaps a lot and zero perspective on anything.

What a freakin idiot you are...
Why even bother coming here?

Sammy*

borro said:
What a freakin idiot you are...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha, ha, ha. You calling someone an idiot. Thats toooo good.
I love you never deal with the substance of a post.
BTW, hows Kindl's +/- these days? :lol: :lol:

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
bruins4777 said:
I think i read somewhere o'connell wanted him, but the caps wanted him more or something. I dunno, i'm happy with krejic. It would have been funny to see a bourque again in a b's uniform.

Anyways, as for bourque's inability to finish? The kid's a freshman, its only a 3rd of the way into the season. Its obvious he has skills and has some sick stickhandling, he has 3 more years of college give him time to develop you can't hope for an instant dominating player as a freshman. It happens very rarely. He has 3 goals and is obviously doing a great job on the powerplay. Give him time.

O'Connell said that the Bruins tried to move up to get him, but it would have cost too much.

There was nothing specific in terms of whether the team was trying to work a deal with Washington- just that they couldn't move from the bottom of the second to close to the top (which is what it was going to take) without being too cost prohibitive.

bruins4777*

Kirk- NEHJ said:
O'Connell said that the Bruins tried to move up to get him, but it would have cost too much.

There was nothing specific in terms of whether the team was trying to work a deal with Washington- just that they couldn't move from the bottom of the second to close to the top (which is what it was going to take) without being too cost prohibitive.

Ya it was something like that. Any ways our boy krejic is doing great. I still wish we could have gotten gracik, but i guess o'connel didn't like him. o well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->