Chowder Cup

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Not sure if this is where I should post this but I am looking for opinions on The Chowder Cup.
Does anyone here have an opinion in regards to the Chowder Cup? I know very little about it other than someone has mentioned they will be inviting my son to play in it.
Is it worth the time and money, is it good exposure and a high level of competition?

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Really depends on the team and who is coaching it. For a lot of teams/coaches it is a money grab so I would look into who is putting the team together and who is on the team. Do you know who is inviting you?

Reactions: Hotwheels

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Really depends on the team and who is coaching it. For a lot of teams/coaches it is a money grab so I would look into who is putting the team together and who is on the team. Do you know who is inviting you?
Lou Gravel the director of scouting and recruiting for the BCHL Cowichan Capitals. Not sure if he is the coach or not but he is the one that mentioned he would be sending my son an invite. While I think it is fantastic a BCHL team is interested in my son (2003 born) and it maybe one heck of an opportunity for my son to be in the BCHL. I know nothing about the Chowder Cup and if it could be a money grab or not. I am not well off financially but would do anything I could to make things work out for my son if someone from a high caliber hockey league was truly interested in him.

Last edited:

wisssh

Oct 2, 2005
North America
My son just wanted to play hockey with some of his friends he usually plays against... long trip to go East if only interested in BCHL/WHL. If interested in Prep schools or NCAA out east highly recommend.. you will see them all around the rinks
Teams can be really stacked or really weak so hit or miss...but mostly money grab.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
My son just wanted to play hockey with some of his friends he usually plays against... long trip to go East if only interested in BCHL/WHL. If interested in Prep schools or NCAA out east highly recommend.. you will see them all around the rinks
Teams can be really stacked or really weak so hit or miss...but mostly money grab.
Thanks a lot for your reply!!!.Well definitely interested in NCAA heck maybe even a Prep school if there is enough financial help. We are open to everything pretty much not just BCHL or WHL . Just about making the best decision possible for my son when the time comes. I also feel my son is young and still has lot's of time before crunch time comes for making a decision based on the offers received at such a time. There are enough scouts watching games my son is playing in here for the time being at such a young age in my opinion. Mind you I'm not sure if they are there to watch my son? While it would be a heck of an experience for my son I am not financially well off. I believe any money I can spare would be better spent on development.

Last edited:

2001HockeyDude

Feb 21, 2017
We played in the 16U Jr. Chowder cup last year. My observations were as follows:
  1. A lot of the coaches for the Chowder Cup teams are assistant coaches for USHL, NAHL, NCAA, and other teams, not all but there were quite a few
  2. I saw some scouts at some games...Northeastern, UMASS, USHL,, NAHL. Mostly schools from that region were at the U16 games I attended
  3. The hockey is what you would expect from summer hockey, not great but can be fun
If you are going, its in your best interest to let the schools, teams, and scouts which team you are on and when you will be playing. If you just leave it to chance, you may not get the looks you are after

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
We played in the 16U Jr. Chowder cup last year. My observations were as follows:
  1. A lot of the coaches for the Chowder Cup teams are assistant coaches for USHL, NAHL, NCAA, and other teams, not all but there were quite a few
  2. I saw some scouts at some games...Northeastern, UMASS, USHL,, NAHL. Mostly schools from that region were at the U16 games I attended
  3. The hockey is what you would expect from summer hockey, not great but can be fun
If you are going, its in your best interest to let the schools, teams, and scouts which team you are on and when you will be playing. If you just leave it to chance, you may not get the looks you are after
Wells that's a great down to earth reply. Thanks a lot for you input!!! I am feeling more and more that money spent on development would be much more beneficial.

Dec 13, 2010
Depends what you are looking to get out of it.

Problem with Chowder Cup is there are so many teams and it's so spread out that for coaches and scouts it's hard to just pick a player out of nowhere. They usually have ideas of who they want to see going into it and are sticking to a specific schedule. Since your son isn't from the area, unless he or one of his teammates has already been scouted to some degree there's a very good chance his team will get lost in the mix. Speaking on this from experience--it's very rare I've gone to a Chowder Cup game without a specific player in mind.

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
Not sure if this is where I should post this but I am looking for opinions on The Chowder Cup.
Does anyone here have an opinion in regards to the Chowder Cup? I know very little about it other than someone has mentioned they will be inviting my son to play in it.
Is it worth the time and money, is it good exposure and a high level of competition?

Very good question. Some parents believe this "exposure" thing is the most important part of the kids path to success. Some are so convinced, they will move their kid around to live in different places thinking that it will make a difference. Other parents (like me) believe and have been told that, "if your kid is good they will be found" and it matters not where or in which events they are participate in. My wife and I wish we could go back in time and spend more time and money on camps and the like as opposed to tournaments. That would have been money better spent. Our kid still goes to the odd summer tournament but only because he wants to have fun and play with his friends.

Reactions: JMCx4 and Hotwheels

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Well we didn't go to the Chowder Cup but we did go to the BCHL Exposure Camp last weekend May 19-21. Not sure how many scouts were there with the RBC Cup and Memorial Cup going on but my son had a blast and enjoyed meeting some guys on his team that were from the USA. It was very well run and a lot of work for the players with 7 ice times in 3 days. My son said the coaches were great and the one from the Penticton Vees was really fuuny and a great guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad