Choose one

Choose one (Years of control, salary)

• Total voters

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I think Pettersson has the potential to be a top 2-3 center in the game. If you can get that for 5AAV over 8, you take that and run.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Matthews and Konecny have to be top two, went with Matthews

lol. Imagine your team being offered McDavid in a trade....and you say "no we have Konencny - we're good". I don't care about salary - that's simply a no go no matter the $$

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Surprised Pasta isn't higher, expected him to be a top option.

Underestimated EP. I knew Point would be a lightning rod, though.

EP/Matthews edge over Pastrnak include:

- Much higher draft hype/potential/ceiling projections (and yes a few years into their careers that starts to matter less - but considering how on track both EP/Matthews are vs expectations, it still counts some)
- Better position (C vs W)
- Pastrnak benefits more than any player in the league by linemates - insane value to play with both Marchand/Bergeron. I don't usually focus too much on linemates - but it's hard to ignore the effect in this case. Without them - is he still better player?

So - I think even at equal value both EP and Matthews are better options - especially Matthews who already broke out production-wise with some strong totals. Considering they're both on longer/cheaper contracts - I don't really see a case for Pastrnak at all.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
If Im trying to win with a window that is a couple years give me McDavid. Otherwise this is Pettersson with Matthews close behind.

Last edited:

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I went with Matthews because I see him as the longest term for a guy who can be the best player on a championship team. Maaaaybe Petersson

Point, Koneckny, Aho, Tkachuk are insane value but you still need to find a better player somewhere, with Matthews and above you only need to find complementary stars.
Point had 15 more points than anyone one the Blues last season. Of course you have to build a team around any of these guys, even McDavid, but you'll have tons of cap space with a 92 point scorer at 4 million for a decade.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the leaf fan in me wanted matthews but a young c that had 40g/90pts last year locked up for TEN years at 4 mil?

wow

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
people are seriously choosing 2 years of mcdavid over 10 years of point? lol
is it possible for the best player in the world to be overrated because thats it

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
is it possible for the best player in the world to be overrated because thats it

You could argue that having McDavid for 2 years is much close to a guarantee of a cup than Point for 10. Point is a top player but it's possible he never repeats last year's offensive numbers. If his career falls closer to this year's production, you're getting a very good two way C who can net 30 and 75ish points. Great asset, but very different from 40/92.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Where does it say McDavid leaves in 2 years though? If I get McDavid - i'll keep him long-term, even if I have to pay a lot. That's my thought process and why I voted McDavid still.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
It's Pettersson for me, but Point would be pretty much the same kind of option. Dark horse pick is Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad