Choose One Habs Player...

Out East

Jan 11, 2013
Halifax NS
Watching the game last night I started thinking "Which Hab would I choose if I could only pick one to build a new team around."

So here is the scenario:

Quebec City is awarded a new NHL franchise and you are the GM. You can choose one player, any player, from the Habs to help build your new team.

Which player do you take and 3 reasons why. Discuss:

I would take Carey Price:

1, Success starts in goal
2, He is young and still getting better
3, His contract is a reasonable one

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Galchenyuk...

Nothing against Price but it is much harder to find a superstar center (hopefully he becomes that) than superstar goalies.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
We have 2 choices. Carey Price or Galchenyuk. And i'd pick Galchy any day because i'd prefer having a good goalie and a great center instead of great goalie and good center.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Price hands down.
Let's not kid ourselves with the new toy in the house. Price is elite.

He compares with ANY player at ANY position in the league, Chuckie, not so much.

I doubt chuckie becomes a top 5 center in the league. (Wouldn't that be amazing though?)

And there's more elite centers than elite goalies actually.

Price-Lundqvist-Quick-Brodeur-Rinne
Crosby-Malkin-Giroux-Stamkos-JT-Seguin-Staal-Toews-Datsyuk-Backstrom-Kopitar-Sedin

idk

Jan 11, 2012
Carey Price ainec. Of all the players on Montreal only one comes close to being in Price's echelon - Markov. And Markov is on the downside of his career, while Carey is on the upswing.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
Galchenyuk. No brainer.

You build around a top line C.

Goaltenders are easier to find. And free agents are easier to convince when you've already a franchise player they can play and put up points with.

BobbyFischer*

Galchenyuk, because I believe he will be in the same mold ala Malkin, in terms of importance to his team.

Price is good but so far he has not proven to be a world-beater.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

if a new franchise does come in....where do they pick in the draft?

bigtimehockeyfan999*

wild ****.....i hope the just move phoenix to quebec..we dont need them getting drouin.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I agree goaltender is the key position but many drafts produce a goaltender equal or better then price, usually outside the first round.

A player like Galchenyuk, as we have seen, can't be touched unless you are lucky enough to be at the front of the draft order. which happens how often?

From a supply/demand , you pick Galchenyuk. He's a find.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Galchenyuk. No brainer.

You build around a top line C.

Goaltenders are easier to find. And free agents are easier to convince when you've already a franchise player they can play and put up points with.

Tell that to Philly or Edmonton...

Price. Already a star and only 25yo.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Price because after you suck one year you can get another top center in the draft but much harder to find a price, even with 1st overall. I think they are both important but with goalie first you're more likely to get both.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I do like the argument some are making that you're better off with an elite centre than an elite goalie, but, as things stand right now, my answer is, without a doubt Carey Price

If Galchenyuk becomes what we all hope and want him to become, that might change things.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Price because after you suck one year you can get another top center in the draft but much harder to find a price, even with 1st overall. I think they are both important but with goalie first you're more likely to get both.

Price is not even the best goaltender in his draft year ffs. He's easily replaceable as history has shown.

Top centre , different story.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Tough call. It's very early, but I'd probably lean towards Galchenyuk.

Price isn't a bad choice either.

There should be no "AINEC" in this thread, to be honest.

Habcentric

Jan 24, 2013
Kaberle and then build from a strong draft for the next couple years....lol

Seriously though, i would have to say Price. I have always believed in building from the net out.

Though Galchenyuk really is a very close second.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Carey Price. He's only 25 years old and one of the best in the game and he's just going to continue getting better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->