Which would you rather have play in the NHL this season

• Cholowski

• Hronek

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If I had to trade one? Cholo. I think Hronek has a higher ceiling. Same with going to GR. Cholo played fine for the first quarter of the season, but he's been hot garbage since then. He needs to learn the defensive side of the game and how to make better first decisions.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Cholowski is way better than people give him credit for. If we had a team worth a damn where he could be sheltered, he would shine more. But for a kid in his first pro season he is still doing really well.
Hronek doesn’t have #1D potential in my eyes. More of a clear-cut offensive top 4D who will do best paired with someone that takes some more defensive responsibility. Cholo can become great at both ends imo.

Reactions: NervousPerson

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Cholo is 3rd in the league among rookie D in scoring, behind a guy named Dahlin. He is clearly doing well despite being a rookie and I doubt he would benefit much from playing against lesser opposition.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Cholo has impressed me at the NHL level many times, Hronek not so much. They are both new to the league and are just getting their feet wet, but I think Cholo has shown more this year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
A big part of Cholowski not looking as great lately is his lack of PP time. Hes absolutely sick on the PP but I have a feeling BLash is kinda trying to get him to work on other parts of the game and not focus as much on that. Hronek has looked good after his first few games as well, neither of the stand out to me as being bad or scared of them busting. Now that Hronek has got comfortable hes been really good.

I dont mind sending down Hronek just because hes been down there before and knows the team and things like that. I have a feeling they wont keep him down there very long

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Daley and Jensen should be moved to clear space for kids and big free agency signing
I agree, but I don't know if it will happen. Jensen's salary demands may define how much we want to trade him, and Daley's injury issues may prevent us from getting any decent trade offers at this deadline. If we get offered 2 seconds for the two of them, they'll likely be gone, but is it worth trading them for 2 4ths?

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I'd say Cholowski has the higher ceiling and is the better player for 20+ mins a night, but Hroenk will probably put up more points and hits. Likely both are 2nd liners long term in my view. But proper 2nd liners, rather than people playing above their heads

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Cholowski is way better than people give him credit for. If we had a team worth a damn where he could be sheltered, he would shine more. But for a kid in his first pro season he is still doing really well.
Hronek doesn’t have #1D potential in my eyes. More of a clear-cut offensive top 4D who will do best paired with someone that takes some more defensive responsibility. Cholo can become great at both ends imo.

Cholo is 3rd in the league among rookie D in scoring, behind a guy named Dahlin. He is clearly doing well despite being a rookie and I doubt he would benefit much from playing against lesser opposition.

Except he is playing sheltered minutes, having a staggering 60% o-zone start. So to both your point's I'd consider that before trying to make assumptions. To Pavel's point, he already gets sheltered minutes and isn't doing well. And to Gylden's point, he's getting a lot of points because of usage. Most defenders don't get the luxury of spending most of their time in the o-zone.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Except he is playing sheltered minutes, having a staggering 60% o-zone start. So to both your point's I'd consider that before trying to make assumptions. To Pavel's point, he already gets sheltered minutes and isn't doing well. And to Gylden's point, he's getting a lot of points because of usage. Most defenders don't get the luxury of spending most of their time in the o-zone.
You can't just look at o-zone starts as to whether someone is sheltered or not. I'm talking more in a general sense that it's easier for someone to play to their strengths on a better team. Wings can't shelter anyone, because we are getting outmatched on the ice much more often than not.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You can't just look at o-zone starts as to whether someone is sheltered or not. I'm talking more in a general sense that it's easier for someone to play to their strengths on a better team. Wings can't shelter anyone, because we are getting outmatched on the ice much more often than not.

Cholo is playing sheltered minutes since December. His aTOI and Ozone starts are huge indicators that he's not playing first pairing minutes against the other team's top lines.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Only D on the team with more than 50% ozone start% is Cholowski, including Hronek. He also has 14 seconds of PK time a game, meaning he doesn't pk when people are healthy. He's definitely being a little sheltered, and that's fine imo.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
It would not surprise me one bit that both Cholowski and Hronek will end up playing for the Griffins for their playoff run and Hicketts will get called up to the Wings after the TDL to give him a longer look to determine if the Wings will want to sign him up for next season and beyond. Hronek has satisfied the Wings already to see what he can do in the NHL level. He just needs more playing time and he will get that in GR than he would in Detroit. I feel that Hronek is pretty much a lock for a roster spot in Detroit for 19-20.

Cholowski is struggling a bit lately in Detroit and you would expect him to go through that at some point this season. Just before the TDL, I would not be surprised if the Wings send Cholowski down to GR to get more consistent playing time and to build his confidence back up and to get playoff experience as well.

The Wings will use Hicketts as one of their 4 call ups after the TDL to determine his future in the organization. It will be good test for him since the Wings are not going to make the playoffs again. When the Wings season is over, Hicketts will be back in GR for their playoff run.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Only D on the team with more than 50% ozone start% is Cholowski, including Hronek. He also has 14 seconds of PK time a game, meaning he doesn't pk when people are healthy. He's definitely being a little sheltered, and that's fine imo.

It's like Keith Yandle, who hasn't been doing those never on his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad