Cholowski or Hronek?

Which would you rather have play in the NHL this season

• Cholowski

• Hronek

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I wish we had room for both of them but it looks like Blashill's gonna stick with the veterans this season.

Cholowski has been in a noticable slump lately. The past two months he's only gotten four points and is a liability out there. I want him instead of Big E but not because of better skill. He breaks out passes and is very fast with good offensive instincts. I just think the rest of his game may need a little bit to work on in the AHL.

Hronek being sent down was a shock, but him staying in GR was unbelievable. He's quietly been our best defense man for the last few games. 6 points in the last 8 games. He's getting better minutes deservedly so. More than Cholowski.

Would you entertain sending Cholowski down to the Griffs for Hronek?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
it's really dumb that they aren't both up but Hronek right now if I had to pick one

I think Cholowski could go down to Grand Rapids for the rest of the year without being hurt much

Hronek right now I think is on a path to being either a flat out bust or at best a third pairing guy long term

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
it's really dumb that they aren't both up but Hronek right now if I had to pick one

I think Cholowski could go down to Grand Rapids for the rest of the year without being hurt much

Hronek right now I think is on a path to being either a flat out bust or at best a third pairing guy long term
Lol what?

No way.

He was an AHL all-rookie last year and he hasn't regressed... at all. 21 year old D man who's never looked out of place in pro hockey =/= bust.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If you have to pick on in Detroit, it has to be Cholowski. He has a resounding 1 game in Grand Rapids in his career. He's familiar with how the Red Wings do things, his future is in Detroit. It makes no sense to have the kid pack up his life and move to Grand Rapids for 30 games, learn the coaches and system, develop a rapport with his new teammates.

Reactions: TheMule93

muchbetterthanlada

Oct 24, 2015
Easily Cholowski. I don't have the exact number, but I believe Cholo has been on the ice for 10 (?) empty netters against. That's why his +/- is so awful. Strongly disagree that he's been any sort of liability out there.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I voted for Hronek just because I think he needs to play in the NHL more. I think his development would be more negatively impacted by getting sent down. I would prefer to keep both up obviously and there's lots of solid cholo arguments in here. He's played so well this season.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Lol what?

No way.

He was an AHL all-rookie last year and he hasn't regressed... at all. 21 year old D man who's never looked out of place in pro hockey =/= bust.

Yeah I dont think I agree, whoa whoa whoa. He's got 10 points in 23 games. He needs a year or two to develop his defensive game a bit more but he moves and skates well, just isn't positioning himself well and causing penalties on top of that. Idk about a bust.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Lol what?

No way.

Yeah I dont think I agree, whoa whoa whoa. He's got 10 points in 23 games. He needs a year or two to develop his defensive game a bit more but he moves and skates well, just isn't positioning himself well and causing penalties on top of that. Idk about a bust.

Smith had 7 points in 14 games in the NHL as a 22 year old rookie then spent more time in the AHL,slowly got his offense drained away in the NHL as the Wings botched his development etc

I see a similar path for Hronek,the Wings just don't know how to develop Defensemen and are currently ruining him as we speak

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Smith had 7 points in 14 games in the NHL as a 22 year old rookie then spent more time in the AHL,slowly got his offense drained away in the NHL as the Wings botched his development etc

I see a similar path for Hronek,the Wings just don't know how to develop Defensemen and are currently ruining him as we speak
Brendan Smith was older and had a lower PPG his rookie season. He's progressing as a player, he's taken steps forward this season, so your opinion that he's being "ruined" is terrible. Smith went from .51 ppg his 21 year old ahl rookie season and followed that up with a .6 ppg 22 year old season. Hronek .58 ppg his 20 year old rookie ahl season and so far has .79 ppg. Holy shit, look how drained his offense is getting, not to mention his 10 in 23 at the NHL level this season.

By the way, Nail Yakupov had 31 points in his first 48 NHL games. Who gives a f*** what he or Brendan Smith did?

Reactions: Adityase

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I don't really subscribe to the theory that a player gets "ruined" for good like that.

The reality is that Smith's offensive skills didn't translate to the NHL. It happens all the time with prospects. You don't have that extra half second you're used to in order to make a play.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Somehow we need to bring Karlsson . Have him and Green pair with Cholowski and Hronek.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Wow. I couldn't disagree with this more. Hronek has hockey sense through the roof and a great toolbox to go with it. I've lost track of how many little plays he's made where I thought "wow, this kid gets it." I have him ranked higher than Cholowski from a pure hockey IQ standpoint and all he's done is progress. No idea what made you come to this conclusion.

With respect to the poll, I don't think it really matters. Unfortunately, our veterans are so mediocre that we have can only afford to shelter one kid at a time, if that. Cholowski has hit a wall up here and since being demoted from top PP minutes (gotta get Kronwall his minutes...?), he's lost a lot of confidence, but I'm not worried. He needs a lot of work defending around his own net and he's getting that experience now. Ideally, I'd swap Hronek and Cholowski for a spell, letting Cholowski go down to GR and run the PP until we're done showcasing the likes of Kronwall and Jensen with a ton of minutes, but its low on my list of priorities for the org.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013

Imo, smith got ruined by Mike Babcock trying to turn an offensive defenseman into a defensive defenseman.. And punishing him for not being able to. For all of blashills downfalls I think he does a good job of putting young players in a position to succeed at their strengths. I think kids have developed far better under blashills than they did under Babcock. And I'm not sure comparing a player from one era to one from another is necessarily a fair comparison.

I want both on the roster. And I wouldn't mind seeing hicketts get some action here after the trade deadline either.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I've been heavily disappointed by Cholo's defensive game since the beginning of the season but his talent is undeniable. Thankfully, he can still learn because it's easier to teach defense than offense. On the other hand, I think Hronek is super solid at both end. I voted Hronek for now but I realize Cholo has the most potential for the future.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

lol what? He's just about a point per game D in the AHL, but ok. Also he was a 2nd round pick, and statistically speaking these guys don't even make the NHL, but sure, let's start labeling Hronek as a flat out bust.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I voted Hronek, but I would consider it only as a short-term move - partly to give Cholowski a different experience to help him get some mental freshness, partly because with Daley out, Hronek is our 3rd best guy on the right side, and partly because I think Cholowski is the better player despite recent form, and looking where we are now, with a race to the bottom and Larkin out, I've no problem making decisions for the long term rather than the short term, and I think having both Cholo & Hronek with half a season's games under their belt would be more beneficial than getting 5 more points or similar in the standings due to Cholo being a more controlled dman. However much will depend on TDL. Will we move Daley? Will Jensen sign a friendly extension or be moved? IF both those things happen, both kids will be up anyway.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I voted Hronek, but I would consider it only as a short-term move - partly to give Cholowski a different experience to help him get some mental freshness, partly because with Daley out, Hronek is our 3rd best guy on the right side, and partly because I think Cholowski is the better player despite recent form, and looking where we are now, with a race to the bottom and Larkin out, I've no problem making decisions for the long term rather than the short term, and I think having both Cholo & Hronek with half a season's games under their belt would be more beneficial than getting 5 more points or similar in the standings due to Cholo being a more controlled dman. However much will depend on TDL. Will we move Daley? Will Jensen sign a friendly extension or be moved? IF both those things happen, both kids will be up anyway.
Daley and Jensen should be moved to clear space for kids and big free agency signing

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I think Hronek has better upside. Cholowski’s best moments have reminded me of Jay Bouwemeester, and Hronek’s best moments have reminded me of Kris Letang. It’s early for both of their professional careers, so that’s enough to make me prefer Hronek.

Reactions: Adityase

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Smith's development, in part, was killed by Babcock forcing him to try to be a player that he wasn't.

Reactions: AJD7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad