Recalled/Assigned: Cholowski and McIlrath sent to GR

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Comparing a soft, weak defenseman to a momma bear, and you find my view ridiculous? OK.
I'll leave it for you to figure out why Cholo has been demoted two straight years by the park rangers.

Ok, then I'll leave it to you to figure out how to elaborate a point instead of restating it, and have a productive conversation.

Titan6lie

Mar 11, 2019
Depends on what they like more... winning, a steady partner or a fatter wallet.

Cholowski gets over 90% less money playing in the AHL than he does in the NHL and McIlrath drops about 60%.

McIlrath also faces being a healthy scratch at times in the AHL, since he gives GR 7 vets, which is one over the limit of 6... That is unless Yzerman is planning on calling up one of Lashoff, Terry, Elson or Puempel in the near future, or one of them or Ford or Tangradi are or get hurt.

Bowey on the other hand technically makes more since he's on a one way and doesn't have to contribute to Escrow while he's in the minors.
Valid point....looks like most of our team prioritizes a fat wallet....makes the blow out losses easier to stomach.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why is Veleno playing on the third line? I thought we wanted prospects to get playing time in the minors.

Rookies tend to play in smaller roles, as they develop. Rasmussen has been a 1st liner, when healthy.
Also, is Tangradi still on the Wings' roster or no? Haven't heard his name in a while.

Tangradi was in KHL and retured 2 games ago.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cholo is soft.
It's hard to ignore. 1.85 hits/60 this year. 1.42 over the last two seasons.
He stays away from battles in front of the net or along the boards. He doesn't make life hard on opposing forward.

I'm not really sure what else the Red Wings, as they exist today, can do for Cholowski.
Two straight seasons, after exhibition schedules where I thought he was very weak in the defensive zone, he was given a job on the team.

At the same time, his production at 5 on 5 is brutal. 0.13 points/60.
So I don't know what you mean by "chemistry oriented, responsible, playmaking mama bear" and i have to admit, I've never heard a defenseman described that way.

I don't know if he is soft, but he is definitely far too passive in the defensive end. Which is kind of weird for a guy who worked really hard to gain like 30 lbs over the last few years. He is 200 lbs but still playing like he is 170 lbs. He was very non-nonchalant on that play where Laine walked him, and also that net front goal you posted. Just 0 urgency on those plays at all. He is young, so I am hoping some of this stuff is correctable/coachable, but he has a long ways to go before I would want him out there against other team's top forward groups.

I do like his play with the puck and in the offensive zone. Hopefully he can at least make contributions there as rounds out his game.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't know if he is soft, but he is definitely far too passive in the defensive end. Which is kind of weird for a guy who worked really hard to gain like 30 lbs over the last few years. He is 200 lbs but still playing like he is 170 lbs. He was very non-nonchalant on that play where Laine walked him, and also that net front goal you posted. Just 0 urgency on those plays at all. He is young, so I am hoping some of this stuff is correctable/coachable, but he has a long ways to go before I would want him out there against other team's top forward groups.

I do like his play with the puck and in the offensive zone. Hopefully he can at least make contributions there as rounds out his game.

I was very high on the package of tools Cholowski has. But he has to become a more assertive player and he really needs to work on his explosion. What he can do to improve those two areas will define him as a hockey player in the NHL. I think he can do it, but I need more gains at this point in his development there, the second one really is going to have to likely come in an off-season, I hope he considers a skating coach this summer, he needs a half step and a lot better lateral movement. His stride is there to accommodate it which is a part of why I was so high on him, but it remains lacking to date for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad