Recalled/Assigned: Cholowski and McIlrath sent to GR

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As a huge Cholowski fan, I remember posting about being conflicted and uneasy about the way he "made" the team. I'm not sure what he gained by being a mercenary on a historically bad team for half a year.

I'm beyond unimpressed with the way the u-23s have been handled this year. You can't blame a plant for not growing in a closet.

Was Ken Holland wrong with his policy, when he wanted to overripen these guys and not put them suffering in NHL, if they aren't ready?

Everything what is happening now, is what Kenny wanted to 100% avoid.

He signed some veterans like Vanek, so the team would play meaningful games. Play close games, so there would be an incentive to play 60minutes, There's some skill to play with. He stated that millions of times.

Now we have a kid team, and are seeing blowouts. Games are over usually before the 3rd period. Guys are losing their will to play game after game, during a game. And people dont like it. Oh, wonder.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Was Ken Holland wrong with his policy, when he wanted to overripen thse guys and not put suffereing in NHL, if you aren't ready?

Everything what is happening now, is what Kenny anted to avoid.

He signed veterans, so the team would play meaningful games. He stated that millions of times. Now we have a kid team, and are seeing blowouts. And people dont like it.

Very funny.
:huh:

This roster is mostly Ken Holland’s work. Yzerman signed Filppula and Nemeth to insulate the younger guys. Most rational folks in this board understood those moves. Unfortunately, those two aren’t enough to compensate for the sorry state of the roster - Nielsen, Abdelkader, Bernier, Helm, the blown draft picks, poor trades, etc. I don’t think this has to be relitigated.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
:huh:

This roster is mostly Ken Holland’s work. Yzerman signed Filppula and Nemeth to insulate the younger guys. Most rational folks in this board understood those moves. Unfortunately, those two aren’t enough to compensate for the sorry state of the roster.

My comment was directed for those not-so-rational folks. :)

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
since last season when he came up and looked great early its been blah . i hope he stays down rest of season as needs to both get stronger and better thinking .

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Was Ken Holland wrong with his policy, when he wanted to overripen thse guys and not put suffereing in NHL, if you aren't ready?

I think Holland used that line as a scapegoat, but I do believe the philosophy has merit.

With Cholowski, I was fine either way, but the fence sitting has me concerned. Either bring the guy up too early, and admit that he will have ups and downs and be positive and supportive in his development , or leave him down and be exacting and demanding. Keeping Cholowski on the team this year, I would have expected 4 bad games to be seen as par for the course, and 1 good game to be celebrated as a sign of things to come. Instead it seems like Cholowski and Biega and Daley and Green etc are all being evaluated by the same metric, which is garbage imo.

I'm really not sure what Cholowksi learned or proved this year, that he didn't already last year.

Still looking forward to people getting to see Cholowski play consistent 5v5 minutes with a familiar lineup. He has a lot more to offer as far as scoring chance suppression and puck possession than we've seen so far. The team seemed obsessed with teaching him d-zone coverage with the difficulty setting on max, which is fine if you can muster some support and positivity, but the messaging towards Cholowski seems to be more mixed than usual, which I find a little clueless/gutless.

Negative impressions aside, maybe they played it perfectly, and Cholowski is going to look like a hulk in the AHL at this point, and this will be a highly successful stint that results in Cholowski and Seider arriving on the team in a more permanent and healthy fashion.

Titan6lie

Mar 11, 2019
Man, GR's D went from thin to stacked in like 48 hours....
I'm thinking bowey, cholowski and mclwrath will be happy to be in GR....play on a respected competitive team in the A rather than the laughing stock team of the big league.

And maybe play with the same d partner for more than 2 games in a row....no wonder these young guys have struggled up here!

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I cannot see Bowey being sent back up. The only other D beside Seider is Hicketts that could possibly be sent up. Seider unlikely though. Maybe there is something in the works with Stevie. DDK still no return to line up date.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Cholowski already should've been in GR, it will help him in the long term, when you're continually in over your head you don't learn anything.

Reactions: MBH and decaguard

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Idk, depends on the human being imo, ask Mark Giordano when he stopped developing.

I remember supporters of Brendan Smith wanted him to have more and more development time. I guess there is that Mark Giodano scenario just like there's that Nick Lidstrom. Maybe there's still hope for Bowey.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Meh, even if only the Fabbri trade (and Biega though he’s a non factor) look good right now, he’s still at a huge net positive.

Trading away pieces that have no hope of helping us in the future (VS, Pope), from a superfluous position (Regula), or players who just flat out don’t want to be here (AA in the near future probably) is exactly what he should be doing.

So far Yzerman has traded two guys who barely are AHL players, a 4th, Regula, and JDLR for a top 6 forward in Fabbri, two failed rolls in Erne and Perlini, and two players who are at least NHL fill ins (both of who were had for guys who would never sniff the NHL.

most of the moves have been minor but the only two pieces worth literally anything long term were Regula and the 4th. Fabbri alone is worth far more than that, especially given our farm strength in Regula’s position. The rest is just gravy low risk potential high reward dice rolls that landed on “no reward” and cost us next to nothing

3j6ek6.jpg

seriously though yeah I didn't care for the Regula trade at the time it was made(and really don't now) but Fabbri by itself easily makes all the moves so far a positive overall
3j6ek6

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Cholo will soon be 22. When does the development stage for dmen stagnate?

Somewhere between 26 and 31.

I remember supporters of Brendan Smith wanted him to have more and more development time. I guess there is that Mark Giodano scenario just like there's that Nick Lidstrom. Maybe there's still hope for Bowey.

Is that your analysis?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You're confusing, you don't want Zadina near the NHL for his development, but it would be terrible for Cholowski to go to the AHL?

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I'd guess Bowey is brought back up with the idea they hoped he would be claimed.

Why make the demotions without the trade already completed and the player in town? Just doesn't make sense to do it before hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->