Recalled/Assigned: Cholowski and McIlrath sent to GR

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Oof. Puts us at six defensemen. Trade or Dekeyser coming back?

Makes me hold out hope for those scouts at Avs-Flames to pay off. Kylington would be fantastic if we can get it at standard buy low price.

I think it will end up being Dekeyser’s return ultimately.

Reactions: ThankGord

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Just not doing exactly what needs to be done
Meh, even if only the Fabbri trade (and Biega though he’s a non factor) look good right now, he’s still at a huge net positive.

Trading away pieces that have no hope of helping us in the future (VS, Pope), from a superfluous position (Regula), or players who just flat out don’t want to be here (AA in the near future probably) is exactly what he should be doing.

So far Yzerman has traded two guys who barely are AHL players, a 4th, Regula, and JDLR for a top 6 forward in Fabbri, two failed rolls in Erne and Perlini, and two players who are at least NHL fill ins (both of who were had for guys who would never sniff the NHL.

most of the moves have been minor but the only two pieces worth literally anything long term were Regula and the 4th. Fabbri alone is worth far more than that, especially given our farm strength in Regula’s position. The rest is just gravy low risk potential high reward dice rolls that landed on “no reward” and cost us next to nothing

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
As a huge Cholowski fan, I remember posting about being conflicted and uneasy about the way he "made" the team. I'm not sure what he gained by being a mercenary on a historically bad team for half a year.

I'm beyond unimpressed with the way the u-23s have been handled this year. You can't blame a plant for not growing in a closet.

Not saying that is what is happening behind the scenes, but it certainly seems like negative reinforcement has been a theme this year, and I have no confidence in that approach long term.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Meh, even if only the Fabbri trade (and Biega though he’s a non factor) look good right now, he’s still at a huge net positive.

Trading away pieces that have no hope of helping us in the future (VS, Pope), from a superfluous position (Regula), or players who just flat out don’t want to be here (AA in the near future probably) is exactly what he should be doing.

So far Yzerman has traded two guys who barely are AHL players, a 4th, Regula, and JDLR for a top 6 forward in Fabbri, two failed rolls in Erne and Perlini, and two players who are at least NHL fill ins (both of who were had for guys who would never sniff the NHL.

most of the moves have been minor but the only two pieces worth literally anything long term were Regula and the 4th. Fabbri alone is worth far more than that, especially given our farm strength in Regula’s position. The rest is just gravy low risk potential high reward dice rolls that landed on “no reward” and cost us next to nothing

I think he may be referring to firing Blashill.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
or is this Yzerman knowing that Cholo should also be away from this absolute dumpster fire. He cant send down Hronek as the fanbase would riot, but he could send down Cholo just like he did Zadina. Cholo can still learn things in GR and also help that team which needs some of that talent back after Detroit took whatever they could from it earlier due to injuries. I could be wrong, its just a theory. Shoot maybe Blashill just doesn't like him.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
or is this Yzerman knowing that Cholo should also be away from this absolute dumpster fire. He cant send down Hronek as the fanbase would riot, but he could send down Cholo just like he did Zadina. Cholo can still learn things in GR and also help that team which needs some of that talent back after Detroit took whatever they could from it earlier due to injuries. I could be wrong, its just a theory. Shoot maybe Blashill just doesn't like him.

He can't send down Hronek because he's the best defenseman on the team with a dire need of quality defensemen.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I love the activity from Stevie. That would be awesome if we got a new piece on D. All signs point to it...

I haven't been impressed by Cholo this season and the Griffs need some scoring. Hopefully he shows the offence we saw at the start of last year.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
They could decide to recall Bowey. Not sure if he’s with the Griffs in California already.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It sorta seems like the idea here is that they want to beef up GR and make that a better development environment for the year. It's sort of a win/win, because somehow Simon hasn't been able to win with the group he's had, and because if Cholowski stays up and goes -40, it might hurt his development. I mean, mentally, that would be really tough.

With the addition of those two, GR should have an excellent defense group for that league.

Reactions: 14ari13

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
It sorta seems like the idea here is that they want to beef up GR and make that a better development environment for the year. It's sort of a win/win, because somehow Simon hasn't been able to win with the group he's had, and because if Cholowski stays up and goes -40, it might hurt his development. I mean, mentally, that would be really tough.

With the addition of those two, GR should have an excellent defense group for that league.
I agree, GRG has a ton of new 1st year players and with the revolving door with Defensmen, injuries to Ras & Puempel, Zadina and Givani up & down, it's been hard for the team to gel. I hope they start to put it together

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I would assume they will put Bowey back in the lineup. Cholowski getting walked yesterday is a good excuse to send him down (justifiable to the fans) but also good for Cholowski's development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->