choker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Dude

cassius said:
Malkin was playing on the PK.....

grrr.... I hate stupid posts like this. I don't even know why a threadstarter comes up with this stuff. Hockey is a TEAM GAME. People buy into TSN's "CROSBY VS. OVECHKIN" viewpoint I suppose. :banghead: :banghead:

PK doesn't count towards +/-

Anyways, it wasn't a choke, he was just overated, once he came up against a good team, he just got absolutely dominated.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
Usually to me, the term "choker" should be reserved for someone who fails when he is absolutely expected to win (eg: Perdita Felicien at 04 Olympics) or when he has guaranteed a victory in some sense (eg: Carmello Anthony at 04 Olympics). In this case, Ovechkin meets neither criteria.
Did you not see his interviews from yesterday? He said they were going to win, that they were the better team, that Canada had no tending... it was a cocky move that didnt pan out. Its nice to see a little personality in hockey, but you'll take your lumps if you talk the talk then sit instead of walk.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Cawz said:
Did you not see his interviews from yesterday? He said they were going to win, that they were the better team, that Canada had no tending... it was a cocky move that didnt pan out. Its nice to see a little personality in hockey, but you'll take your lumps if you talk the talk then sit instead of walk.

Did you see how he was speaking in those interviews? He had a limited English vocabulary, and didn't guarantee anything. He said that Russia was a better team two years ago in Halifax and that he hoped that they could do the same thing today. He also never said they had no goaltending. He simply said that their goaltending was uncertain, because Glass wasn't tested. The fact that he was speaking a new language made his remarks seem blunt, and thus arrogant.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Canadian fans once again proved themselves as the worst fans in the world. Sore winners, booing players even when they have the gold around the neck, sour losers, remember 2002, when Canada lost to Russia all the fans were saying that Russians were doped because they had acne...Always the same stupid comments.

You make me sick!

PS: sorry for all the normal people.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
cassius said:

grrr.... I hate stupid posts like this. I don't even know why a threadstarter comes up with this stuff. Hockey is a TEAM GAME. People buy into TSN's "CROSBY VS. OVECHKIN" viewpoint I suppose. :banghead: :banghead:

Well actually it is your point that is a little on the unknowledgeable side. If you are on the ice for a PP goal, you don't get any minus. Minuses are only for even strength goals. So Pk or no Pk, it's still a sad figure.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
Canadian fans once again proved themselves as the worst fans in the world. Sore winners, booing players even when they have the gold around the neck, sour losers, remember 2002, when Canada lost to Russia all the fans were saying that Russians were doped because they had acne...Always the same stupid comments.

You make me sick!

you are the soar loser actualy. if yourrussians had won, there would be no need for such a post would there be?

jealous...jealous...jealous...

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
DR said:
well, im not calling the russian team chokers. im call AO who thought it was cool to taunt after an empty netter. he was targeted and he folded. he didnt deserve to win a gold medal for that act and he gets his just deserts.

dr

So why not blast Malkin.....who is the one who really put this over the top by skating by the bench after an empty net goal after Ovechkins....

Mountain Dude

Slick Nick said:

You make me sick!

Russian players proved again to be the least classy players in the world. Diving, and taking huge cheap shots, and taunting the other team after the victory was already at hand.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
cassius said:

+/- doesnt count on PP/PK, Ovechkin is on the first PK unit regardless...

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
espion said:
you are the soar loser actualy. if yourrussians had won, there would be no need for such a post would there be?

Just read all the crap in the other posts, will you?

The first thing I did was saying Cananda was unbeatable, the second, I congradualted everyobdy... but since then all I read is bashing against Russians.....

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
Usually to me, the term "choker" should be reserved for someone who fails when he is absolutely expected to win (eg: Perdita Felicien at 04 Olympics) or when he has guaranteed a victory in some sense (eg: Carmello Anthony at 04 Olympics). In this case, Ovechkin meets neither criteria. He was effectively shutdown by a superior team, and thus it would be unfair to label him a choker. Russia, the entire team, could not enter the Canadian zone, not simply Ovechkin. His actions on Sunday night, right or wrong, probably arose because of the situation, as we had not seen anything from him to suggest otherwise.

He (thread starter) is simply trying to stir things up......nothing more

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Slick Nick said:

You make me sick!

Here we go again. Please dude, don't make absurd generalizations like the ones you just made. Maybe a few people may have said those outrageous things, but they do not speak for the majority of Canadian hockey fans. It's foolish for you to think all Canadian fans are like that. And by the way, I think the only way the Russians were being booed was because of their actions against to the Americans. I'd say it'll be a good learning experience for them.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
Russian players proved again to be the least classy players in the world. Diving, and taking huge cheap shots, and taunting the other team after the victory was already at hand.

What diving in the final?? When Shirokov was pulled down and this dumbass McGuire said he was a wuss? Did you see the play? it was a clear penalty... what diving?

Mountain Dude

Slick Nick said:
What diving in the final?? When Shirokov was pulled down and this dumbass McGuire said he was a wuss? Did you see the play? it was a clear penalty... what diving?

Oh, you must have missed the game. And that was a classy crosscheck to the face after the play was done...to Canada's SMALLEST player.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
Did you see how he was speaking in those interviews? He had a limited English vocabulary, and didn't guarantee anything. He said that Russia was a better team two years ago in Halifax and that he hoped that they could do the same thing today. He also never said they had no goaltending. He simply said that their goaltending was uncertain, because Glass wasn't tested. The fact that he was speaking a new language made his remarks seem blunt, and thus arrogant.
Well, thats not how I saw it. I saw him trying to talk a little smack, throw a little uncertanty in the Canuck tending, intimidate a bit... which is all a part of sports.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
Oh, you must have missed the game. And that was a classy crosscheck to the face after the play was done...to Canada's SMALLEST player.

They got a penalty didn't they?

What's your point?

Maybe Panin didn't lay down Canada's biggest guy.. Phaneuf?

edit: and actually, what's the deal with giving a penalty for something that was done just before a goal? is it internationnal rules?

Mountain Dude

Slick Nick said:
They got a penalty didn't they?

What's your point?

Maybe Panin didn't lay down Canada's biggest guy.. Phaneuf?

Getting a penalty doesn't change the play, it was still dirty. My point is that you shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

Also, I will say, that hit on Phaneuf was the hit of the tourney, props to that guy, so clean, and caught Dion with his head down.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
Getting a penalty doesn't change the play, it was still dirty. My point is that you shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

Also, I will say, that hit on Phaneuf was the hit of the tourney, props to that guy, so clean, and caught Dion with his head down.

What the hell are you talking about glass houses... get out of here...

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Mountain Dude said:

Agreed. It reminded me of the big hits Phaneuf lays out.

Mcguire mentioned how Panin plays like Darius Kaspiritis, well he sure looks a lot like him with the hippie hair as well. :joker:

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Tricolore#20 said:

Well, he was apparently flat wrong about Russia being a better team. From what I saw tonight, it looked like Team Russia pretty much sucks. I guess that's to be expected from a team with "leaders" like Ovechkin and Malkin. Furthermore, as was apparent tonight, poor Ovechkin was clearly deluding himself if he thought that Russia had a hope against Canada.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Epsilon said:
IF you guys want to talk about some real chokers, come to the College Football thread in the Other Sports folder.

OT but what i find kinda funny is....I saw a little of the end of the football game....USC scored to make it 55-10 and got 2 penalties for celebrating.....

commentator 1: "There going to get a second penalty for that"
commentator 2: "I dont think they care"
both: "laugh"

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
taunting canadian said:
Well, he was apparently flat wrong about Russia being a better team. From what I saw tonight, it looked like Team Russia pretty much sucks. I guess that's to be expected from a team with "leaders" like Ovechkin and Malkin. Furthermore, as was apparent tonight, poor Ovechkin was clearly deluding himself if he thought that Russia had a hope against Canada.

Any of you brilliant fans might have thaught that Dynamo GM, George McPhee and Ovechkin's agent said; No, no boy.. no more hockey.

Of course not... cuz none of you is brilliant! :innocent:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
EroCaps said:
:joker:

Malkin was -3 on the game.

Ovechkin was even.
Yeah, you've mentioned that about 3 times. What difference does it make?

Are you implying Malkin is at fault for the 3 goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->