CHL draft June 3rd

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
I think it's the right thing to do. Even though I'm really unsure if the games by then can be held with spectators. I doubt that this will be the case everywhere.

The point you brought up could really change the league ranking aswell if some teams start off slow.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think it's the right thing to do. Even though I'm really unsure if the games by then can be held with spectators. I doubt that this will be the case everywhere.

The point you brought up could really change the league ranking aswell if some teams start off slow.

I know as a Cardiff Devil fan I am interested in how the teams will now do playing against the weaker teams

Often in the first round, which are home and away games, the better teams will go with their B line up in the first game and hope they pull off the win and use their A line up in league games one before and one after. Not all teams do it but I have attended CHL games the last 3 seasons and some teams go with a different line up early in the tourney to prevent either burn out or injuries to their best players

with it now being a knock out tourney, the teams are not afforded the same measure of flexibility

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
If the prize money is still the same, I think all of the teams will send their A teams from the beginning. Good amount of money (atleast in these trying times) and just a couple of games to win some nice dough.

Reactions: Exarz

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Actually excited for this tourney again. As a Canadian dude I dont catch much european games, but this gives me an excuse to root for whatever team a sharks prospect or former player is on.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Liberec - Tychy
Luleå - Berlin
Zurich - Sönderjyske
Rauma - Sparta Prague
RB Salzburg - Tappara Tampere
Bolzano - EHC Biel-Bienne
Färjestad - Cardiff
Straubing - Geneva
Oulu - Aalborg
Mannheim - Grenoble
Zug - Skellefteå
RB Munich - Ilves Tampere
Trinec - Yunost Minsk
Frölunda Gothenburg - Neman Grodno
Davos - Vienna
Rögle - Stavanger

Reactions: Ukki

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Liberec - Tychy
Luleå - Berlin
Zurich - Sönderjyske
Rauma - Sparta Prague
Färjestad - Cardiff
Straubing - Geneva
Oulu - Aalborg
Mannheim - Grenoble
Zug - Skellefteå
Trinec - Yunost Minsk
Davos - Vienna
Rögle - Stavanger
Am i reading this right that Denmark has 2 spots and Slovakia none?

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Am i reading this right that Denmark has 2 spots and Slovakia none?
IIRC the Slovakian team withdrawed from the competition due to renovation of their arena. That's why there are two from Belarus. Denmark has the winner of their regular season (Aalborg) aswell as the winner of the Continental Cup (Vojens).

No group stage? Is it due to Covid or did they permanently go to this new format?

It's due to Covid and they probably go back to the group stage format next year. But they need to start later this year so it starts with knockout games.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Liberec - Tychy
Luleå - Berlin
Zurich - Sönderjyske
Rauma - Sparta Prague
Färjestad - Cardiff
Straubing - Geneva
Oulu - Aalborg
Mannheim - Grenoble
Zug - Skellefteå
Trinec - Yunost Minsk
Davos - Vienna
Rögle - Stavanger

Devils fans are happy we did not get Frolunda again--still going to Sweden

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
IIRC the Slovakian team withdrawed from the competition due to renovation of their arena. That's why there are two from Belarus. Denmark has the winner of their regular season (Aalborg) aswell as the winner of the Continental Cup (Vojens).

It's due to Covid and they probably go back to the group stage format next year. But they need to start later this year so it starts with knockout games.

No, Slovak teams will not play for the reason that for Slovakia the CHL is no point in playing and unnecessarily wasted money after Covid.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
No, Slovak teams will not play for the reason that for Slovakia the CHL is no point in playing and unnecessarily wasted money after Covid.
CHL plans to start the season on 6 October
"The CHL Board has awarded the last remaining Wild Card to the regular-season runners-up from Belarus after the Slovakian national league had officially requested to replace their qualified team for the upcoming season because of infrastructure issues, with the team having to play the entire 2020/21 season in a small rink due to arena construction."

At least officially it's due to the arena. But I'm pretty sure the Extraliga isn't very fond of the CHL, otherwise they could have sent the runner up instead of another team from Belarus.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
CHL plans to start the season on 6 October
"The CHL Board has awarded the last remaining Wild Card to the regular-season runners-up from Belarus after the Slovakian national league had officially requested to replace their qualified team for the upcoming season because of infrastructure issues, with the team having to play the entire 2020/21 season in a small rink due to arena construction."

At least officially it's due to the arena. But I'm pretty sure the Extraliga isn't very fond of the CHL, otherwise they could have sent the runner up instead of another team from Belarus.

Yes, HC 05 Banska Bystrica as the best team from slovakia last season has the reconstruction of the arena. However, 2nd or 3rd team (Slovan Bratislava, HC Kosice) could start in the CHL . But they refused due to the economic crisis after coronavirus. At the moment, it is not even known in Slovakia which clubs will play in the league next season. The Slovak league may be semi-amateur, the state refuses to support hockey at least for now. It is sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad