CHL Tryouts

jaysfan17

Mar 22, 2015
I have been thinking about trying out for Junior C in Ontario. I have been out of competitive hockey for about three years, but I continued to play shinny on occasion (not as much as I'd hoped). I am heading into my last year of Junior eligibility and I miss playing competitively (I had to quit because of other commitments, school and work).

The team I was thinking about trying out for is having a prospects camp next month and I'm wondering if I should even go. I know the moment I step on the ice I'll be rusty as heck (losing an edge here and there). The highest level I've played was HS as an affiliate and it was one game, but I had so much fun, it was my version of the NHL. I like to point out that I only started skating when I was 12 and I had the opportunity to play HS 4-5 years later.

I was hoping someone could tell me what the skill level is like, is it mostly AAA players? I think I'm at a AA level to give you more perspective. Should I apply to this prospects camp? I have been in contact with the GM of this team and he's been answering my questions, but I wanted to get a second opinion from you guys, current/former players and coaches.

Thanks

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I can't answer your question but I'd like to point out that some minor hockey associations have a 'Juvenile' age group above Midget that offers an alternative to junior hockey for older players (that are still at Junior age). That might be something to look into depending on where you live and whether the Junior C thing works out.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I have been thinking about trying out for Junior C in Ontario. I have been out of competitive hockey for about three years, but I continued to play shinny on occasion (not as much as I'd hoped). I am heading into my last year of Junior eligibility and I miss playing competitively (I had to quit because of other commitments, school and work).

The team I was thinking about trying out for is having a prospects camp next month and I'm wondering if I should even go. I know the moment I step on the ice I'll be rusty as heck (losing an edge here and there). The highest level I've played was HS as an affiliate and it was one game, but I had so much fun, it was my version of the NHL. I like to point out that I only started skating when I was 12 and I had the opportunity to play HS 4-5 years later.

I was hoping someone could tell me what the skill level is like, is it mostly AAA players? I think I'm at a AA level to give you more perspective. Should I apply to this prospects camp? I have been in contact with the GM of this team and he's been answering my questions, but I wanted to get a second opinion from you guys, current/former players and coaches.

Thanks

Depending on what region you're in spring rookie camps will consist of all Rep players, 16/17/18 years old, many if not most being AAA. All will be in game shape as this is the end of season.

If you've got a solid head on your shoulders the camp will be a good, fun experience but from what you're saying likely faster paced and more intense than anything you've experienced before, go in with your eyes open and your head up.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

Thanks

You'll be wasting your time and your parents money. Likely you'll get injured. Join a beer league or get an Xbox.

jaysfan17

Mar 22, 2015
You'll be wasting your time and your parents money. Likely you'll get injured. Join a beer league or get an Xbox.

If you're not going to give me useful advice, shut up.

FYI:XBOX is stupid and I'd be paying for the tryouts.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago

I kinda have to second this, but I'm not going to be as rude about it.

they're all going to be in game shape so I recco getting into a good workout plan asap, I know USA hockey has some on their website but also check 247 hockey and hockey tutorial on YouTube to find some.

they're going to be good, as in good shots, shot placement, stickhandling, speed, checking. if you're serious you need to find a way to get into contact simulation, and I don't mean checking clinics.

lastly, if they're planning on playing junior they're going to have good game sense. you can almost substitute lack of skill with game sense, smart decisions, and hard work. just be prepared not to get a lot of ice time.

if you really want it it's possible but give it 5-6 hours daily

hockeyfan2014

Feb 17, 2013

Thanks

Depends where you are from. Some Junior C leagues are like Junior B in other parts of the country. Why don't you just go to look at the first session and see if you would look on the ice with the other competition. if you think that you would look really bad, do not go, otherwise why the heck not!

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Thanks

If you have the time to train beforehand and work out the rust and get into shape somewhat, then give it a shot. Worst case, you realize you are out of your league and you get cut. Not going to give you some "don't give up/follow your dreams" b.s., but if it is something you have wanted to do try it. If you don't at least try-out, you'll regret it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->