CHL trade rumors

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
That's an offense with 5 players that will score 40-50 goals, with the others getting 20-30... sorry, but that is the best.

I was not a fan of the Mercer pick either, but how does trading him halfway through make it worse? Just hold to him for pride?

Lastly, the Majors are the favourite, but they aren't untouchable. Ice Dogs have the best goaltender in the OHL, and we're strong enough that if the bounced go their way, they can win. They're better than KIT and WIN, and on the same level as OTT and SAG. I suggest you watch some games and look at the standings before you insist that they are not contenders.

I will agree next year is likely to be their year, but Ottawa and Oshawa will be better also. 2 years from now? they'll be rebuilding again.

I don't think that offense will be as dangerous as a team like OTT, I'm sorry. Outside of Barrie last year, Ottawa has had the most dangerous offense in the past two years in the East, IMO.

Trading a first round pick after he's played less than 20 games, doesn't reflect well on the organization, IMO. Especially when it's coupled with a second rounder for a player that's not exactly a game-breaker, and IMO (though he will be a big part of their team next year, if true).

As for how Niagara stacks up against Mississauga, I just don't see it. I'd agree with Visentin being the best goalie in the O, but J.P. has to be a close second (even with Miss' system). As for team against team, they've played each other four times, the Majors winning each time. Niagara's only been able to score on them 3 or 4 times in total in those games, if memory serves. I can't see them beating Miss in a 7 game series (OTT is the only team that scares me in the East). As I said before, I think Niagara has tons of talent but their core is just too young to truly compete this year and they should have held off till next year, IMO.

Lastly, don't tell me to watch games, it makes you come of as childish and ruins a good conversation.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't think that offense will be as dangerous as a team like OTT, I'm sorry. Outside of Barrie last year, Ottawa has had the most dangerous offense in the past two years in the East, IMO.

Trading a first round pick after he's played less than 20 games, doesn't reflect well on the organization, IMO. Especially when it's coupled with a second rounder for a player that's not exactly a game-breaker, and IMO (though he will be a big part of their team next year, if true).

As for how Niagara stacks up against Mississauga, I just don't see it. I'd agree with Visentin being the best goalie in the O, but J.P. has to be a close second (even with Miss' system). As for team against team, they've played each other four times, the Majors winning each time. Niagara's only been able to score on them 3 or 4 times in total in those games, if memory serves. I can't see them beating Miss in a 7 game series (OTT is the only team that scares me in the East). As I said before, I think Niagara has tons of talent but their core is just too young to truly compete this year and they should have held off till next year, IMO.

Lastly, don't tell me to watch games, it makes you come of as childish and ruins a good conversation.

I have to question it if you say Niagara is not a contender. Yes, the Majors have won all 4 games, but they have all been 1 goal (2 maybe with EN goals) games, and that was before we aquired archibald or possible carnevale. Any of those games could have gone either way.

The most dangerous thing about Niagara will be their arena during the playoffs. Williamson has built this team well to dominate on that small surface, and the crowd at the Jack during the playoffs is the best I've seen in the OHL. (Been to Windsor, Ottawa, Mississauga, Brampton, Belleville and Kitchener for the playoffs)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Current Paces..

Carnevale - 47 goals (if we get him)
Agozzino - 44 goals
Strome - 42 Goals
Archibald - 40 Goals
Friesen,Hamilton - Both 35 goals

sorry i meant to say 4-5 players. Hamilton could still very well pick up the pace playing wioth Strome.

A couple of things you have to keep in mind:

1-Your math is a little off when it comes to Strome, Agozzino, Friesen and Hamilton. They're actually on pace for 41, 43, 32, and 30 goals, respectively.

2-Archibald's pace has slowed down considerably after the trade. Before the trade, he had 18 goals in 24 games with Barrie. Since arriving in Niagara, he's only got 4 goals in 10 games. That's well under a 40-goal pace. His pace since being traded would see him score another 12 goals on the season (Niagara has 30 games left), which puts him at 34 total. Far below a 40-50 goal pace.

As to point one, that's just semantics on my part. But I just wanted to point out you're overstating the pace that those players were on. Especially Friesen and Hamilton. They're actually more on a 30-goal pace than a 35-goal pace.

As to point two, the thing is you'll often see guys on 40-goal paces on other teams where they were playing top line, slow down quite a bit on a more stacked team. Simply, there just isn't the ice time to go around on stacked teams to keep up the pace. Archibald is a perfect example of this. On Barrie, with very little depth up front, he was on a 50+ goal pace. On Niagara, when he's got to split time with a lot more talent, he's on a 27-goal pace. I think the same will happen if someone like Carnevale is acquired.

I just think you're overestimating how many goals those players can score. Expecting 5 guys to score 40-50 goals is unreasonable, IMO. No team has done that in decades. Even the powerhouse Knights team of 2005, or the past two Memorial Cup Spitfire teams haven't had 5 guys score 40+ goals in one season. I'd be surprised if Niagara ended up with more than 2 guys at 40+ goals (and certainly not near or at 50, which you mentioned in the post I quoted).

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
http://www.guelphstorm.com/article/erlich-acquired-from-knights

(GUELPH) The Guelph Storm Hockey Club announced this afternoon that they have acquired centre Daniel Erlich from the London Knights.

The Thornhill native joins the Storm in exchange for a 2nd Round selection in 2011 (formerly Brampton's selection), Guelph's 2nd round pick in 2012 and Guelph's 5th round choice in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection.

Overpayment by Guelph IMO, they just keep loading up the '91s yet they're still not very good.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
No chance Erie is a seller unless they get an offer that is a gross overpayment. They've got a veteran club, and when they get Cazzola back and potentially Yogan, they're going to be a team that nobody is going to be keen on playing in the playoffs. I could see them potentially adding some grit to their bottom six, or maybe a mid-range defenseman, but I'd be shocked if they decide to move out any of their big pieces.

Madic

May 21, 2008
What's with the talk about trading Mercer? Has he been that disappointing since recovering?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
What's with the talk about trading Mercer? Has he been that disappointing since recovering?

Not so much being disappointing, just that you have to give something valuable if you want to get something valuable. Mercer has been getting better... but Graham is untouchable, so the Dogs have to trade someone.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
They are not that unusual, I think a lot of first rounders negotiate them into their contracts. I believe quite a few American players negotiate them in too when they play the NCAA card.

correct....there are far more in the CHL than the NHL.

Having said this there are far more teams as well.

james30

Jan 13, 2010
nobody is "untouchable" with Marty Williamson. He has traded away more first rounders than anyone in the last few years!

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
nobody is "untouchable" with Marty Williamson. He has traded away more first rounders than anyone in the last few years!

He has made it very clear that Graham is not going anywhere. I'm not sure he would have done the Strome trade if he didn't know he was going to Niagara after.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Cody Eakin traded from Swift Current to the Kootenay Ice for 8 players:

18-year-old Forward Christian Magnus and prospects Ryan Bloom (1993 Forward- Drumheller Dragons – AJHL), Jarett Zentner (1993 Forward - Calgary Mustangs – AJHL), Colby Cave (1994 Forward - Battleford Stars – SMAAAHL) and Steven Myland (1994 Goaltender - Valley West Hawks – BCMMHL) along with a first and second round draft pick in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft and a third round pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

18-year-old Forward Christian Magnus and prospects Ryan Bloom (1993 Forward- Drumheller Dragons – AJHL), Jarett Zentner (1993 Forward - Calgary Mustangs – AJHL), Colby Cave (1994 Forward - Battleford Stars – SMAAAHL) and Steven Myland (1994 Goaltender - Valley West Hawks – BCMMHL) along with a first and second round draft pick in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft and a third round pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Brayden Schenn to Saskatoon? Thats the twitter rumour.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
TSN is reporting it too (here), but I still haven't seen what the return is for Brandon.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Holy overpayment batman. I guess that Kootenay is looking to do some damage this year because Eakin probably won't be playing in the WHL next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->