CHL Top Prospects Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Generally this is reserved for draft-elligible prospects.

E&M

Nov 18, 2004
Vancouver
Steadfast said:
Yes I am.

Sweet, I look forward to hearing about the rosters. A little over 3 hours from now.

I'm gonna be there too. I can't wait; the game and competition should be awesome.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
They just announced the rosters:

TEAM WHITE (DAVIDSON)

Forwards
Sidney Crosby, Rimouski Oceanic
Kenndal McArdle, Moose Jaw Warriors
Devin Setoguchi, Saskatoon Blades
Ryan O'Marra, Erie Otters
James Neal, Plymouth Whalers
Michael Blunden, Erie Otters
Wacey Rabbit, Saskatoon Blades
Blair Jones, Moose Jaw Warriors
Viatcheslav Trukhno, PEI Rocket
Patrick Davis, Kitchener Rangers
Evan Brophey, Belleville Bulls
Mathieu Aubin, Lewiston MAINEiacs

Defence
Luc Bourdon, Val d'Or Foreurs
Jakub Kindl, Kitchener Rangers
Marc Staal, Sudbury Wolves
Raymond Macias, Kamloops Blazers
Scott Jackson, Seattle Thunderbirds
Jean-Philippe Paquet, Shawinigan Cataractes

Goal
Alexandre Vincent, Chicoutimi Sagueneens
Daren Machesney, Brampton Battalion

TEAM BLACK (CHERRY)

Forwards
Gilbert Brule, Vancouver Giants
Benoit Pouliot, Sudbury Wolves
Bobby Ryan, Owen Sound Attack
Chris Durand, Seattle Thunderbirds
Alex Bourret, Lewiston MAINEiacs
Dan Collins, Plymouth Whalers
Dan Ryder, Peterborough Petes
Nicholas Drazenovic, Prince George Cougars
Guillaume Latendresse, Drummondville Voltigeurs
Chris Lawrence, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Marek Zagrapan, Chicoutimi Sagueneens
Cody Bass, Mississauga IceDogs

Defence
Ryan Parent, Guelph Storm
Matt Lashoff, Kitchener Rangers
Brendan Mikkelson, Portland Winter Hawks
Oskars Bartulis, Moncton Wildcats
Dustin Kohn, Calgary Hitmen
Michael Sauer, Portland Winter Hawks

Goal
Carey Price, Tri-City Americans
Jean-Philippe Levasseur, Rouyn-Noranda Huskies

http://www.whl.ca/headlines/?id=2628

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Only surprise among the forwards in my mind is that Evan Brophey (OHL Belleville Bulls) made the lineup ahead of Riley Merkley (WHL Calgary Hitmen). I am very impressed with what I've seen of Merkley (good size, decent speed). I think what put Brophey over Merkley is his stats:

Brophey - 38 GP, 46 PTS
Merkley - 42 GP, 16 PTS

I think if Merkley was playing with a top prospect named Getzlaf like a top prospect from last year (Ladd), he'd be putting up big, big points. Instead he's on what is Calgary's 3rd line and only has 16 points so far.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
A bunch of these guys will be Canada's entry at the WJC next year in Vancouver. I wonder if that had anything to do with how the rosters were assembled?

Last edited by a moderator:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
steblick said:
Make your own rosters. If you were an NHL scout, or just as a fan, who would you like to see play in the game?

How does Kris Russell from the Medicine Hat Tigers not make this team?? That is insane! He's Top 20 in WHL scoring at 17 yrs old, leads all D-man in goals and plays in all situations for the Tigers. That one needs to be explained! :shakehead

A case could also be made for Ryan Wilson, Patrick McNeill, Tyler Plante, Ryan Moir on D and in goal.

It would be nice to see Bertram, Bradford and Cogliano up front, but as they are not in the CHL that's impossible.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Is Kris Rusell 2005 -eligible? If he's 2006, that explains why he's not in the game...

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Alter Haudegen said:
They just announced the rosters:

TEAM BLACK (CHERRY)

Forwards
Gilbert Brule, Vancouver Giants
Benoit Pouliot, Sudbury Wolves
Bobby Ryan, Owen Sound Attack
Chris Durand, Seattle Thunderbirds
Alex Bourret, Lewiston MAINEiacs
Dan Collins, Plymouth Whalers
Dan Ryder, Peterborough Petes
Nicholas Drazenovic, Prince George Cougars
Guillaume Latendresse, Drummondville Voltigeurs
Chris Lawrence, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Marek Zagrapan, Chicoutimi Sagueneens
Cody Bass, Mississauga IceDogs

Defence
Ryan Parent, Guelph Storm
Matt Lashoff, Kitchener Rangers
Brendan Mikkelson, Portland Winter Hawks
Oskars Bartulis, Moncton Wildcats
Dustin Kohn, Calgary Hitmen
Michael Sauer, Portland Winter Hawks

Goal
Carey Price, Tri-City Americans
Jean-Philippe Levasseur, Rouyn-Noranda Huskies

http://www.whl.ca/headlines/?id=2628

Isn't Mike Sauer hurt? I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but I do believe I heard he was out for the rest of the year? Perhaps, Kris Russell will replace him?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
A bunch of these guys will be Canada's entry at the WJC next year in Vancouver. I wonder if that had anything to do with how the rosters were assembled?

Four (maybe five) of the six American players could be on the U.S. squad next year, namely: Davis, Sauer, Ryan, Lashoff, and possibly Macias.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
HabLover said:
Isn't Mike Sauer hurt? I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but I do believe I heard he was out for the rest of the year? Perhaps, Kris Russell will replace him?

Is Mike Sauer Kurt Sauer's brother and do they play the same style of defense?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Russell is not there because it is the TOP PROSPECTS game. Scouts are the ones who choose the players for this game. They are looking at the top CHL prospects for the 2005 entry draft, not for the 2006 WJCs or a CHL All-star team of 2005 draft eligibles. That's the same reason Yellowhorn is absent from the list. Those two are excellent CHL players but they are not among the top 40 prospects from the CHL for this draft (in the opinion of almost all NHL scouts).

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Cody Bass has been overrated since the day Missisauga made the stretch and picked him earlier than expected in the OHL draft. He hasn't shown much developement since that day, he's still a good 'character guy', who can skate really fast in straight lines and not a whole lot more. I would've loved to see Steve Downie (among many others) named instead of Bass.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Michael Sauer

yes, he is Kurt Sauer's brother. Isn't quite the same stay at home type Kurt is. He's a solid all around type of defenseman, has great on ice vision, nice point shot and skates well. Needs to get stronger, but I think that will come in time. Both Kent (who played ECHL) and Kurt will tell you Michael is a better player than either of them.

Michael is not playing now, as he waits for surgery on a torn labrum in his hip. While it seems unlikely he will play in the game, this is an injury he has played with for two years, including his play this season that earned him the invite to the game. Depending when his surgery is, and what doctors say about further injury if he plays, he might just play this one game. There hasn't been any sort of word from the Winter Hawks or Sauer yet.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
steblick said:
Russell is not there because it is the TOP PROSPECTS game. Scouts are the ones who choose the players for this game. They are looking at the top CHL prospects for the 2005 entry draft, not for the 2006 WJCs or a CHL All-star team of 2005 draft eligibles. That's the same reason Yellowhorn is absent from the list. Those two are excellent CHL players but they are not among the top 40 prospects from the CHL for this draft (in the opinion of almost all NHL scouts).

This is true but it is time a very skilled undersized defenceman gets some recognition. The same thing happened with Ian White in his draft year and so far his size has not affected him at the pro level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad