CHL Top Prospects game tonight...Who's to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

Dec 16, 2005
Montreal
7:00 tonight Sportsnet.

Who's to watch tonight? Even though I will try to follow them all, which player should be available when my team picks (Habs), let's say around the 15th pick. For sure I'll watch Brassard but he'll be gone before our pick so who's next, if, or course, it means we will go for North American kids.

As a matter of fact it's possible that our 2nd rounder will even be in that group so who are you most eager to see and who will you follow closely???

I will try to follow mostly the d-men but some other names comes to mind like:

Team Orr
Shutron 5'11''D
Sanguinetti 6'1'' D
Emmerton 5'11'' C/LW
Dowzak 6'5'' D
Fiala 6'2'' C

Team Cherry

Wishart 6'4'' D
Ryan 6'2'' D
Weber 6'4'' D
DeGray 6'4'' D
Foligno 6'0'' LW
Stewart 6'1'' LW
Clutterbuck 5'10 RW

I bet they can all be available but since we're kinda of weak regarding d-men prospects, I believe we will go that way (though who would've predict the Price pick....we never know)

Rosters are:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/arti...#rosters.h tml

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Ill be watching Codey Burki. The slick center has really picked up his play in the last month for the wheaties and he now leads the team in scoring. I expect a big second half from him and it will probably be enough to propel them into the playoffs and Burki will garner a late first round pick because of it.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Little, Vishnevsky, Mueller, Foligno, Giroux. Mueller runs on diesel!
In all honesty who don't you want to watch? Should be well worth the time. ;)

I guess I'll comment on the game here.

For Team Orr, I thought the best prospects looked to be Codey Burki, Matt Corrente, Bryan Little, James Sheppard, and Jordan Staal. For Team Cherry, I thought the best prospects were Cal Clutterbuck, Peter Mueller, Chris Stewart, and Ty Wishart. Ryan Daniels played a strong game in goal for Orr and kept Cherry from getting back into the game, but I'm not much for analyzing goaltender technique so I can't comment on that aspect for any of the goaltenders.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I've never heard of Burki (in fact I think the PA announcer mispronounced him as "Burke" in the pre-game) but he impressed me tonight.

Joe Hallenback, could he really be a 1st rder? Tell me about him.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Lowetide said:
I've never heard of Burki (in fact I think the PA announcer mispronounced him as "Burke" in the pre-game) but he impressed me tonight.

He's really come on strong this season in Brandon. He was starved of ice time last year with Stone, Konsorada, Monych, Fehr and Sindel obviously getting all of the PP and PK minutes. Basically every game he's become stronger and gained more confidence. He's probably not as physically tough as Ryan White, but he has closed the talent gap on Ryan. He'll never be as tough on the boards as White, but maybe he has a better scoring touch, I think Ryan has more on ice vision. I think both White and Burki will go between 20th and 30th overall........

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Lowetide said:

Codey Burki is a 6'2 200 Pound center for the wheaties. He was the first pick in the whl bantam draft a few years ago out of Winnipeg. I watched him play bantam in Winnipeg and he was always a goal scorer but he was never what you call the goto guy. I think he always lacked that "im the guy" attitude and at the start of this season which is a transition one for the wheaties he was supposed to be "the guy". It didnt start well for him and the wheaties suffered. But the last month or so he has elevated his game to the next level. He has always had great speed and passing ability but he never drove to the net and was pretty much a perimeter player. But lately he has changed. He drives towards the net with speed and power and has started to put up some decent numbers and with that the wheaties have started to win.

At the start of the season I would have said he would be slated for the 3rd or 4th round because of his inconsistency and lack of drive but lately he is has played so well and being named player of the game in the Prospect game will propel him into the 1st round. He's got all the tools to be a good one. I think he plays a similar game to a guy like Cory Stillman but is a little bigger and faster. Could turn into a big time scorer but will probably make a good second line center at the least for someone.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
The thing that is a bit ironic is that Burki was at Ottawa general the day before the game getting xrays as he is having problems with his quad as the result of a shot he blocked a week or so ago. He was having troubles at the Monday night skate and it showed in his performance in the skills events.

Sure had a heck of a game though. That line really clicked.

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
I caught parts of the 1st and 3rd, missed all the goal scoring

Daniels was very solid in the third, Clutterback had a very nice drive to the net, McGinn made a smart play on the boards in the offensive zone, getting to the puck first and instead of going with it, using his body to block the puck from the D man and let a team-mate pick it up, good cycling. Sheppard looked impossible to stop, good size and speed.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Joe Hallenback said:
Codey Burki is a 6'2 200 Pound center for the wheaties. He was the first pick in the whl bantam draft a few years ago out of Winnipeg. I watched him play bantam in Winnipeg and he was always a goal scorer but he was never what you call the goto guy. I think he always lacked that "im the guy" attitude and at the start of this season which is a transition one for the wheaties he was supposed to be "the guy". It didnt start well for him and the wheaties suffered. But the last month or so he has elevated his game to the next level. He has always had great speed and passing ability but he never drove to the net and was pretty much a perimeter player. But lately he has changed. He drives towards the net with speed and power and has started to put up some decent numbers and with that the wheaties have started to win.

At the start of the season I would have said he would be slated for the 3rd or 4th round because of his inconsistency and lack of drive but lately he is has played so well and being named player of the game in the Prospect game will propel him into the 1st round. He's got all the tools to be a good one. I think he plays a similar game to a guy like Cory Stillman but is a little bigger and faster. Could turn into a big time scorer but will probably make a good second line center at the least for someone.
Just a little correction, Burki was the Wheatkings 1st round pick not the 1st overall pick in the bantam draft. I believe he was picken in the high teens (17th?).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
BURKI and GRABNER were the 2 best players on the ice--they were consistently good all night and their line with Riley Holzappel (an all Dub line) was the only line with chemistry and was dominant every shift they were out there ...BURKI was the only centre in the game who looked like he could play the position --he was great 2-ways and in all phases of the game..he was the best player by far in that game...

Maxwell was good defensively in shutting down Staal wasnd was on for both of his Team Cherry's 2 goals scored---he dominated Staal on faceoffs--but I think he'll be more a defensive checking centre than an offensive threat...

BURKI looked like the 2nd coming of Mike Modano that's how well he impressed me...no boubt his stock has raised considerably and if he continues to have a good 2nd half he should rise into the top 8 ...

LITTLE confirmed he skates well and will get his points--give him 3 good scoring chances and he'll notch 2 --he svcored in both styles--1 a garbage goal in close,and one a terrific shot from about 15 feet out ...he is LUC ROBITAILLE WITH SPEEED! He will get 30-40 gals a year as an NHL'er because he buries his chances and has the great shot...

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Top Players at Game - My Viewpoint

Attended the game last night (3rd row, blueline) at the newly named Scotia Bank Place. My observations of players that caught my eye (there were others but these are the ones I remember): J

Ivan Vishnevskiy - good passer who can help on the powerplay, a little undersized but wasn’t a defensive liability, late 1st round pick

Jordan Stall – has overall good skill, wasn’t anything I didn’t like about his game, not as explosive as his brother but has potential to control games, second most impressive centre to Mueller, top 5 pick

Codey Burki – great offensive instincts, around the puck and net a lot, very impressive, top 20 pick

Bobby Sanguinetti - good skater, who gets involved offensively and is solid at both ends of the ice, top 20 pick

Theo Peckman – bulldozer extraordinaire, Theo was looking to destroy anything in his path, unfortunately he got caught out of position a lot, not a great skater but when he touched someone they went down, needs to harness his energy, not very agile although he’s an above average skater, ran out of gas quicker than most but that’s because he’s built like a Hummer, 2nd Round

Ty Wishart – like Ty a lot especially in the 1st half of the game, he’s a smooth skater, makes good first passes, ice veins, makes turns quickly in his own zone, top 15 pick, only negative is that he doesn’t project a sense of urgency, which is good or could be bad, top 15 with upside

Mike Weber – played strong, good skater, likes to be involved at both ends of ice, late 1st round

Ryan Hillier – good skater who was involved in the action

Peter Mueller – 1st impression was that he’s a little slow but he starts to grow on you, his style reminds me of Peter Forsberg, IMO he was the smartest player on the ice, he used angles and players better than anyone, good passer, strong on skates, tough call on who will be a better pro (Staal or Mueller), top 5 pick

Ben Maxwell – good wheels, late 1st round with upside due to skating abilities

Derrick Brassard – rated top 10 by Central Scouting but he did not show it on this night, only noticeable on one shift, based on one night, not top 20 pick, 2nd round based on this night

Nick Foligno – good skater, two play player with good offensive upside, one of the top 3 forwards on Team Cherry, competitive on every shift, top 20 pick

Matt Beleskey – if Meuller was the player who impressed me the most, then Beleskey was second, he generated excitement every time he was on the ice, has a nice shot and doesn’t shy away from the action

Jamie McGinn – LW – McGuinn played a good two way game and played faster than what he was timed at the skills competition, 2nd round pick

Chris Stewart – RW – big, strong, tough, good skater but can he finish? Set up twice perfectly by Foligno on one shift and one on one in tight could finish, broke in on another play and could not finish…haven’t seen the guy enough to know if it was exceptional goaltending or lack of touch…if it was the goalie, Stewart could be the real deal as a power forward, top 15 pick with lots of upside, lots of upside…..

*** Sheppard, Grabner and Clutterbuck also looked good.

Based on one night, my top 5/6

1. Peter Mueller
2. Jordon Stall
3. Chris Stewart
4. Matt Beleskey
5. Ty Wishart/Bob Saguinetti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad