GDT: CHL playoffs, Round Two

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
sorry, i will try to use quotes more. in the post immediately before mine, fan suggested he would top off at 190. i did not notice you were a different poster answering my comment.

No worries, I have no strong opinion on the "projectability" of his frame. He seems to have a similar frame to Tanev, which is fairly lanky but that doesn't mean he can't be effective (as Tanev obviously is).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another year in junior at 19 wouldn't do a thing for Juolevi's development....if he doesn't make the Canucks, it should be off to Europe.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Another year in junior at 19 wouldn't do a thing for Juolevi's development....if he doesn't make the Canucks, it should be off to Europe.

Ahhh yeah it would.

The only D-man who was dominating junior to the point he couldnt develop anymore was Ivan Provorov
and even that is debatable.

Definitely should stay in junior.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I haven't seen him much outside of the highlights and a couple streams, but it seems like he'd have to make a quantum leap in development to be NHL ready next year. He's already having trouble dealing with bigger forwards.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
In Europe he would get to play against men but bigger ice to deal with, and half the games allowing more time to gain mass. Its half good and half bad. I was leaning towards Europe but now Im fine with Juniors. Let him hopefully dominate on small ice

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ya I have trouble believing a 19 year old defenseman has "nothing" to gain from a 3rd year of junior. Was he the best defenseman in the OHL? Was he running the Knights top PP? If not, he's got more he can learn.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
But rarer to see CHL players jump directly into NHL unless they're Godsend (Crosby, McDavid) as opposed to NCAA players jumping in (Vesey, Gaudreau, etc)...

If we're talking cap management, there's no harm for us to keep Juolevi one more year in the OHL.

on a side note, I really do hope the OHL, WHL, QMJHL do a better job in marketing and get more numbers so it helps the families to pay for sending their kids to these junior teams. There seems to be many ways of going about it now... BCHL, AJHL --> NCAA route. CHL needs to market it better (either Canada-wide or market it to Europe or Asia) and help those parents.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
CHL marketing terrible, most of these arenas don't even have HD cameras. That is a absolute travesty, would also be nice if they tied the post-highschool education (college/uni) more to the CHL teams. Bring in more student audiences.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
But rarer to see CHL players jump directly into NHL unless they're Godsend (Crosby, McDavid) as opposed to NCAA players jumping in (Vesey, Gaudreau, etc)...

If we're talking cap management, there's no harm for us to keep Juolevi one more year in the OHL.

on a side note, I really do hope the OHL, WHL, QMJHL do a better job in marketing and get more numbers so it helps the families to pay for sending their kids to these junior teams. There seems to be many ways of going about it now... BCHL, AJHL --> NCAA route. CHL needs to market it better (either Canada-wide or market it to Europe or Asia) and help those parents.

Did you just compare 18 yr olds making the jump to 21 yr olds?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i thought juolevi had the proverbial "projectable frame" before the draft. did he shrink?
sorry, i will try to use quotes more. in the post immediately before mine, fan suggested he would top off at 190. i did not notice you were a different poster answering my comment.

It's not meant to be a slight. I was merely thinking maybe his ideal weight would be close to Tanev's. Juolevi's frame looks similar to Tanev's and to my knowledge, Tanev purposely keeps his playing weight around 190 lbs. Juolevi can certainly play at a higher weight. Lindholm I think is a bit taller and plays at 205lbs? Lindholm was 195lbs at the combine so he was bigger at 18. In reality, I don't think it matters too much. Anything above 190lbs is a solid weight.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
It's not meant to be a slight. I was merely thinking maybe his ideal weight would be close to Tanev's. Juolevi's frame looks similar to Tanev's and to my knowledge, Tanev purposely keeps his playing weight around 190 lbs. Juolevi can certainly play at a higher weight. Lindholm I think is a bit taller and plays at 205lbs? Lindholm was 195lbs at the combine so he was bigger at 18. In reality, I don't think it matters too much. Anything above 190lbs is a solid weight.

At OJs age he should gain 10 to 15 pounds just filling out quite easily he is only 18.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
At OJs age he should gain 10 to 15 pounds just filling out quite easily he is only 18.

Basically 19 (May 5th)...

As far as weight goes, it could be all over the place....

Sbisa is 6'2 and plays @ ~205
Tanev is also 6'2 and plays @ ~185
Edler is 6'3 and plays @ ~220

(At least those are the weights posted online)

The thing to note about Tanev is he used to be much smaller and grew after his original draft (main reason he didn't get drafted). So that might also be a reason for his lower playing weight. I figure Sbisa's weight might be closer to where Juolevi targets.

Some other Ds around the league
Josi 6'1 @ ~201
Shattenkirk 6'0 ~209
Schultz 6'2 ~193
Carlson 6'3 ~215

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Olli should have had an assist on the first Thomas goal too. He was very strong defensively today, beat numerous bigger players in puck battles with smart body positioning, hitting everybody, blocking shots. He's definitely elevated his game defensively in the playoffs.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
hes 6'3" too at 19 years old. so when he fills out hes gonna be hard to knock over. should be at 210-220 lbs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad