CHL Playoff Thread

Ceekay

May 6, 2009
Ottawa
WHL: Portland and Saskatoon - Portland
OHL: Saginaw and Ottawa - Ottawa + Host team Missasauga
QMJHL: St. John and Lewiston - St. John

My call is in the Final its St. John and Portland and Portland wins it all. My call

I'd give Ottawa a shot if they weren't so banged up. No Gibbons/Luciani though, and Prince/Nesbitt/Lindsey are probably coming back earlier than they would if it wasn't playoffs. And I don't like the way they matchup against Missassauga. Now if Oshawa/Kingston finds a way to beat Missassauga for them, all bets are off :)

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
Love that Saint John are the clear favorites, but cant help but be concerned with the upset that could happen. They work so hard to be the best, then when they get there, we are concerned about it haha.

My prediction, Saint John loses the Mem Cup final.... Then host it next year(if they get it) and win it.

Would make a great 3 years wouldn't it:

Last year- Lose in QMJHL final
This year- Lose in Mem Cup final
Next year- Win Mem Cup on home ice (if they host)

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
OHL Final:

Mississauga .v. Kitchener

WHL Final:

Saskatoon .v. Portland

QMJHL Final:

Saint John .v. Montreal

Memorial Cup Final

Portland .v. Kitchener

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Saint John Sea Dogs
Mississauga St. Michaels Majors (host)
Saskatoon Blades
Niagara Ice Dogs

Pretty much the teams that have been the best this year.

I think Windsor could go far in the OHL playoffs if Campbell can find his game. Interesting to see Red Deer and Portland too. Saginaw, Niagara and Kitchener from the OHL (as outsiders), as well as Windsor. OHL is the most open for a surprise, Majors might take a bit easy on their task since they're holding the Memorial Cup. I don't think they'll win the OHL playoffs, even though they have been the best team this season.

Majors or Blades are gonna win the Memorial Cup. Though call, going with the Blades.

Last edited:

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Portland is so overrated. Good forwards but their defense is in-experienced while their goaltending is average. Saskatoon, Red Deer, Spokane, and Kootenay are a log more well rounded IMO.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
WHL: Saskatoon Blades
OHL: Mississauga St. Michael's Majors - Kitchener Rangers
QMJHL: St.John's Sea Dogs

Memorial Cup winner: St.John's Sea Dogs
MVP: Jonathan Huberdeau; always step up his game in the playoffs. He'll created magic.

Canuck71*

Portland is so overrated. Good forwards but their defense is in-experienced while their goaltending is average. Saskatoon, Red Deer, Spokane, and Kootenay are a log more well rounded IMO.

Portlands defence look like they are very well rounded as well with puck movers, defensive d-men, hitters. They may not be that experienced but the talent sure is there. Ponich and Wrenn are both 2nd round NHL draft picks, Aronson is a very solid 3rd round pick, Rutkowski is a 5th round pick that is having a strong season, and all of Pouliot, Morrow, and Wotherspoon are young top prospects with both Morrow and Pouliot being potential 1st round picks for their respective drafts.

This is a very strong defence. I fully expect them or Saskatoon to be the WHL Champion. Hoping its the Winterhawks though, I love watching them play.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
my prediction for the Q first round
Saint-john in 4 vs Cape-Breton
Montreal in 5 vs Halifax
Quebec in 4 vs Val d'Or
Drumondville in 5 vs Chicoutimi
Gatineau in 6 vs Rimouski
Bathurst in 5 vs Victoriaville
Shawinigan in 7 vs PEI
Lewiston in 6 vs Moncton

So you're expecting all eight top seeds to win? Not only that, but by your post it looks like you're not expecting any upsets at all in the upcoming QMJHL playoffs. Do you think only the top four teams have a realistic chance at reaching the finals?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I'm not sure the math, but it'll be extremely difficult with the playoff tree for that matchup to occur in the league finals.

For Bathurst to play SJ in the finals,

Saint John must beat Cape Breton
Bathurst must beat Victoriaville

Saint John must beat Lewiston/Moncton/PEI
Bathurst must beat Quebec/Drummondville
Shawinigan/Lewiston/Moncton (2nd lowest seed at this point) must win

Saint John beats Shaw/Lewy/Moncton
Bathurst must beat 2nd best team.

Bathurst is likely the third worst team standings-wise after the 1st round, so they need Montreal to be upset in order for this to happen.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Portland is vastly overrated on these boards because most posters view Nino as some kind of god skating amongst mortals in Western Canada.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
WHL: Portland and Saskatoon - Portland
OHL: Saginaw and Ottawa - Ottawa + Host team Missasauga
QMJHL: St. John and Lewiston - St. John

My call is in the Final its St. John and Portland and Portland wins it all. My call

All top seeds will have to go early so that Lewiston can face Saint John in the final. Lewiston is the 8th seed and Saint John the 1st seed.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Saint-john in 4 vs Cape-Breton
Montreal in 5 vs Halifax
Quebec in 5 vs Val d'Or
Drumondville in 4 vs Chicoutimi
Gatineau in 6 vs Rimouski
Bathurst in 5 vs Victoriaville
PEI in 7 vs Shawinigan
Lewiston in 6 vs Moncton

2nd round

Saint-john in 5 vs PEI
Montreal in 6 vs Lewiston
Quebec in 7 vs Bathurst
Drumondville in 7 vs Gatineau

3rd round

Saint-John in 6 vs Drumondville
Montreal in 7 vs Quebec

Q Final

Saint-John in 5 vs Montreal

GM17*

WHL: Saskatoon Blades
OHL: Mississauga St. Michael's Majors - Kitchener Rangers
QMJHL: St.John's Sea Dogs

Memorial Cup winner: St.John's Sea Dogs
MVP: Jonathan Huberdeau; always step up his game in the playoffs. He'll created magic.

didn't realize the sea dogs were located in newfoundland...................................

R S

Sep 18, 2006
So I believe that both the Q playoffs and the O playoffs start tonight, is that correct?

What games are going on? The WHL playoffs start tomorrow night.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
OHL started things off tonight:

Brampton fell to Niagara 7-1
It was Oshawa over Kingston 7-3
Erie doubled Windsor 2-1
And Mississauga handled Belville 4-1

R S

Sep 18, 2006
OHL started things off tonight:

Brampton fell to Niagara 7-1
It was Oshawa over Kingston 7-3
Erie doubled Windsor 2-1
And Mississauga handled Belville 4-1

With the Otters win, they steal home ice away from the Spits.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Taylor Doherty had a great game for the Fronts even though they lost. 1 Primary assist, +1 (on for all 3 of his team's goals) even though they lost 7-3. Impressive.

Erik Gudbranson no points, -3.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I hope that the Red Deer Rebels, Kitchener Rangers, and Drummondville Voltiguers make it to the memorial cup.... would legitimately make this oiler fan cream his pants.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Most series in the Q kicked off tonight, and it started, as everyone expected, with a massacre in Saint John. Seadogs win 10-0 vs the Screaming Eagles, Zach Phillips get 4 G, 1 A (first Seadog to get 4 goals in a playoff game), Huberdeau and Beaulieu get 4 A each, Jurco gets 1 goal.

Drummondville won 4-3 vs Chicoutimi, Couturier gets 1 G.

Victoriaville pulls off the only real upset of the night, winning 7-4 against Bathurst.

Montréal wins 6-0 against Halifax and gets a 2-0 series lead.

Québec won 7-2 against Val-d'Or.

Shawinigan won 2-1 in OT against PEI.

Gatineau won 6-0 against Rimouski.

Moncton won 4-1 against Lewiston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad