CHL players in USHL?

edwardla

Dec 31, 2012
I've seen a number of CHL cast-off type players they move from OHL, QMJHL and WHL to the USHL. How does this not effect the "eligibility" of those USHLers they play with? thanks

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
A large reason why the CHL isn't considered an amateur league is because there are players who have signed a pro contract. So if a CHLer leaves the league to play in the USHL but hasn't signed a contract, nothing has changed. I'm not sure what would happen if one did sign but then wanted to play in the USHL. I couldn't imagine why he would, but I'd guess the USHL might forbid that.

edwardla

Dec 31, 2012
so even if a CHL player (undrafted and unsigned to a pro contract) played along side a signed player who has received his signing bonus, going the the USHL (and other Junior 'A' leagues?) he is still considered amateur? except not in the NCAA?

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
When that player signs the CHL contract he is signing up to play in a "pro" league. Doesn't matter if he hasn't received an NHL contract himself yet. It's a little more fuzzy than that of course, but they have to draw a firm line and that's where they chose to put it. When he switches to the USHL he is playing in a league designated as amateur by the NCAA.

So was he pro but now amateur? No really familiar with the intimate details here. Is it a ban for life, or would the player mitigate the damage by switching out? Maybe they just prevent him from playing in games for a year, which most serious prospect wouldn't stand for. If its a life ban why switch out of the CHL? Anyone know more specific rules or players that fit this situation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad