CHL players in Men's World Championships?

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
We're having a debate over in the Northern Europe forum as to whether Ehlers and Bjorkstrand should be on Team Denmark at the Men's World Championships in May...

So, I was wondering if it has ever happened before that a CHL player has played in the Men's World Championships while still being in the CHL? Maybe from a smaller nation, but I can't think of any...

And do you think Ehlers and Bjorkstrand would be ready to play at such a level this season? They have both been in impressive form this season, but they have no experience at that level and there is no time for experimenting at such a short tournament compared to e.g. getting a 8-10 game sample at the beginning of an NHL season.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hmm, hard question.. Im on the verge, but have to say that I think the pressure would be to big for the, and I have a feeling they could only dissapoint.

I would say no, but the team is looking crazy bad this year.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Leon Draisaitl played for Germany in last year's WHC as a member of the Prince Albert Raiders.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Leon Draisaitl played for Germany in last year's WHC as a member of the Prince Albert Raiders.

Thanks, good find.

IIRC Draisaitl did OK, but nothing more at the World Champs. And it looks like he had the benefit of being part of the NT training camp leading up to the tournament.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I know it used to be tradition for Canada to have one or two non-NHL players on their roster. I am pretty sure Eric Lindros played for Canada in 1992. Jordan Eberle may have played right out of Junior too. It isn't uncommon for the Americans in days passed to have some NCAA players on their team.

If I were Denmark I would be putting together the best team possible which I would include those two. Beyond the few Danes in the NHL, I doubt there are any players elsewhere that have the talent those two do. I don't see any harm in having them on the team, if anything the coaching staff is probably the same as the Junior staff, meaning they would be familiar with the system they run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad