NCAA or CHL

• NCAA

• CHL

Results are only viewable after voting.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
CHL without a doubt, the last 6 Art Ross winners played in the CHL. Majority of the leagues best players also played in the CHL.

Points aren't everything but FWIW, Gaudreau and Barkov were the only non-CHL players in the top 10 for points this year.

Reactions: Dominance

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
CHL is by far better development, and raises more/better hockey players.

With that said, I might be persuaded to go NCAA depending how I valued education and a degree.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Depends on my situation and where I'm from.

If I'm Canadian and a McDavid or Stamkos or Tavares level talent I would go for the CHL. I might have a shot at getting in early at 15 and can be out of the league earning NHL money by the time I'm 18/19. Conversely if I'm not a higher end talent I might not see pro until I'm 20 anyways and there might not be a good chance for me to make it even then. So going the NCAA route gets me an early start at an education and may not get me drafted high but I'll still get drafted if I do well, maybe even by a playoff level team and I can work my way through 2 or 3 years of college. If I opt for a 4th year I can choose where I want to play if I'm good enough to attract attention.

If I'm American and I can make the NTDP squad that isn't horrible either. I'll get scouted a tonne and as long as I can perform I'm going to get noticed and likely taken in the draft. Then I can go off to College and again get a head start on my future and then sign an NHL deal if I do well. If I'm playing 4th line NTDP minutes or can't make the squad I might opt for CHL at that point but only to improve my stock.

If I'm a Euro from Finland, Sweden, Czech Rep, Germany, Switzerland, Slovakia or Denmark it's probably better to just stay in Europe unless I'm buried on a good teams depth. If I want to get noticed I should try and play SHL or Liiga but if I can't get high up in those squads for whatever reason I may opt for CHL for more exposure.

If I'm in Russia I'd probably stay there if I'm a forward or goalie but I'd contemplate going CHL route if I'm a dman. Though with the CHL lifting the goalie ban I may opt to play for a contender in the CHL who needs a goalie. I'd get a tonne of exposure, far more then I'd get in Russia, and I can work my way to a pro roster by 20.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Unless you fast track your education.

I could be wrong but Werenski played in the NCAA a year early?

Correct. Hanifin did the same that year and I believe Poehling also did it as he was a '99 born that played for St. Cloud State before his 2017 draft.

Personally, it would depend on how good I would be. Some 1st/2nd round NHL drafted CHLers get amazing statlines and don't do a darn thing in the major pros. Of course the same thing can be said about NCAA, but I feel when you go to a college hockey program and you truly want to better yourself, it's more fruitful for your development. That really depends who you are though. Also, lots of CHLers get rushed, especially in their 19 year old year when they're still eligible for another year of junior but not the AHL.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
depends on how good I am actually if I am a touted top 2 pick I might choose the chl, anything else college is a very safe bet due to education and free school.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jack Eichel was 17 when he started in the NCAA. I’m pretty sure you just have to be a student.
You just have to qualify as a student. See Hanifin, Werenski, and Toews as guys who fast tracked school to play early.

The 18 thing, was the case for Matthews in Switzerland, as they wouldn't let a minor have an import spot. I think there is a similar issue with people under the age of 18 who try to play soccer in Europe but don't have EU citizenship (yes, I know Switzerland isn't part of the EU), so I wouldn't be shocked if this would be the case for most prominent Euro leagues.

Reactions: Voight

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
NCAA, it’s way, way better value if the hockey thing doesn’t work out.

It’s also a much more pleasant lifestyle and don’t think it’s all that different in terms of development opportunities

Reactions: LeProspector

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If I’m a Kerfoot or Fox and hockey can get me a degree from Harvard or similar, NCAA all day. Those guys are set, even if hockey doesn’t work out.

For the guys going top 3, the early start the CHL gives you is probably the better bet. I don’t think it’s a one size fits all. As an American, I would’ve done NCAA.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

It’s also a much more pleasant lifestyle and don’t think it’s all that different in terms of development opportunities
If I’m a Kerfoot or Fox and hockey can get me a degree from Harvard or similar, NCAA all day. Those guys are set, even if hockey doesn’t work out.

For the guys going top 3, the early start the CHL gives you is probably the better bet. I don’t think it’s a one size fits all. As an American, I would’ve done NCAA.

It’s worth noting that the CHL has a huge scholarship program for post-secondary education.

Reactions: Otto and WaW

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think there is a similar issue with people under the age of 18 who try to play soccer in Europe but don't have EU citizenship (yes, I know Switzerland isn't part of the EU), so I wouldn't be shocked if this would be the case for most prominent Euro leagues.

Actually it's a FIFA rule that forbids any international transfers of players under 18, unless they can be determined to be of non-professional nature or there is close geographic proximity. For transfers that take place within the EU/EEA there's a separate limit of 16.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It’s worth noting that the CHL has a huge scholarship program for post-secondary education.

Sure, but athletics generally allows you to go to a school a tier higher than you’d otherwise be able to attend. Your average B student is headed to state school, but if he can hit his 3’s, suddenly he’s got a full ride to UNC or Duke. If you go back later, you don’t get to take advantage of that.

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
NCAA because if I'm even half decent, I'm guaranteed to play at least a few NHL games by either threatening free agency to the team that drafted me, or using the 'play now' argument as leverage to get a team to sign me as an undrafted free agent. Players from the CHL's contracts can't kick in right away and there's no guarantee of playing NHL games once signed.

That's the major loophole for prospects I believe.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

In the CHL you're playing against the best people your age starting at age 16. So you get 2 years of playing against high level competition before you get drafted. Scouts also pay more attention to the CHL and theres a reason why the NHL gives it money every year.

NCAA is good too but more often than not the top young players head to the CHL. Kane and Seth Jones being two recent examples, Eichel of course doing the opposite. The competition is still good, but nowhere near the CHL's level.

I think NCAA should start accepting former CHL players like Canadian schools do. Yes I get that they are "paid" but its really more of a weekly stipend seeing as its impossible for them to get part time jobs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean, it depends on what sort of player i am. If you're an elite 18 or 19 and done player, you may as well pick the CHL route, and graduate straight to the NHL ASAP. For others, it's a trickier call.

For myself, especially with the benefit of hindsight, i'd know that even if i were talented enough to have an NHL trajectory...i didn't really start to fill out to an NHL-survivable level until i was probably 20 or 21. NCAA would've been the obvious choice for me. With a less rigorous schedule, it's a better situation to build yourself up physically, work on skills and accrue significant credit toward a fallback degree in the meantime - without compromising at all on the level of competition.

Pre-16 me however, probably would've chosen the CHL route purely based on Sigmund Brouwer's series of books which would've made me think i could be both an NHL-bound Junior Hockey player AND a Hardy Boy mystery solver all in one. Which sounds dope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->